What Schottenheimer Says...

dfluker

Why on earth would we want to believe the PRIMARY source when we should be believing the un-named second, third, and apparently, the make believe sources.

Come on, don't you know a blogger had to be right on this. Marty is lying about his own interest because an un-named source said so and that is good enough for..........an absolute moron. Yikes.......

Another point of evidence surely to be marginalized by those 'in the know'.....though I have to believe that that number will dwindle day by day by day.......

Plus, there is no reason to think a blogger would ever make stuff up to draw interest, cuz that is not what they do.....er do they?

< walking away smiling and knowing something was amiss with the 'breaking news' here last night.......funny stuff>

Tim's story never said that Marty wasn't interested. NGU did not say that Marty wasn't interested either. The only difference between the two reports is "who" decided that Marty would not be the coach in Buffalo, Nix or Ralph.

No way to ascertain that fact, and really, it doesn't matter. Tim's reporting is very good and I'm glad he contributes here. Also, NGU has proven himself to be a very trustworthy poster. Take the information provided by both and enjoy it.

We have not had good, reliable information like this in a long time. Lets try to keep the comments above the belt and look forward to free agency and the draft.

Tim's story never said that Marty wasn't interested. NGU did not say that Marty wasn't interested either. The only difference between the two reports is "who" decided that Marty would not be the coach in Buffalo, Nix or Ralph.

No way to ascertain that fact, and really, it doesn't matter. Tim's reporting is very good and I'm glad he contributes here. Also, NGU has proven himself to be a very trustworthy poster. Take the information provided by both and enjoy it.

We have not had good, reliable information like this in a long time. Lets try to keep the comments above the belt and look forward to free agency and the draft.

So what they spoke about it but it sounds like Marty was on the fense about the whole thing. It only sounds like he considered it because of his friendship with Nix. I realize that Marty is a big name but does Buffalo want or need someone whose heart might not be in it? I don't think so.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/01/14/his-age...is-done-coachi/

http://www.examiner.com/a-1156191~_In_all_...o_be_back_.html

His agent says, “yes,” but Marty Schottenheimer says, “no.” At least for now. Schottenheimer, the former Cleveland Browns and San Diego Chargers coach, told the Miami Herald Saturday he is unlikely to return to the NFL.

It was the second time in three weeks Schottenheimer ruled out another go-around in the league, which includes interviewing for the Ravens’ head coaching position.

‘’In all likelihood, I’m not going to be back,’’ Schottenheimer told the Herald.

The Ravens fired Brian Billick two weeks ago today and have interviewed six candidates, including Schottenheimer’s son Brian, the New York Jets offensive coordinator — for the position. No interviews have been held since Tuesday.

Schottenheimer, 64 told the Herald said he was comfortable being a grandfather and enjoying life in North Carolina.

‘’I’m never going to say never,’’ Schottenheimer said. “When I’m in a situation where I don’t have to make a decision, I won’t. But I have a full life right now.”

Schottenheimer’s agent, Trace Armstrong, was at the forefront of the movement to have his client mentioned in the Ravens’ hunt this past weekend. Armstrong told several local publications his client had interest in coaching the Ravens, and would wait until the team’s late interviewing stages to meet with the team’s executives.

Hmmm ... wonder if Armstrong is still Schottenheimer's agent?

Yeah, I was rejected by the Bills.

Come on...no one is going to come out and say that. He is covering himself. But if you read between the lines, you can tell he was dancing. Sometimes everyone needs to learn not to read into the EXACT words that are said and written. Its all about context, tone and timing when it comes to quotes.

Sorry...Grahm is reputable and has a tendency not to speculate. I believe 100% Marty was interested.

right - from an analytic point of view - you would disregard 100% of a first hand account of what transpired - but accept 100% of what a third party source supposedly told a sports reporter of the same account? really????

barnum was right - there is one born every minute

right - from an analytic point of view - you would disregard 100% of a first hand account of what transpired - but accept 100% of what a third party source supposedly told a sports reporter of the same account? really????

He certainly was, son. He certainly was.

So enjoy the big top!

I wouldn't interpret this at face value - there are a lot of intentionally vague qualifiers here. Sounds to me like he was interested. I'll trust Tim Graham on this one. That's an easy decision.

you are right, in fact the opposite was the main focus of the blog....he stated that Coach Schottenheimer wanted the position 'badly'.....that is what is causing so much angst towards the bills management because, allegedly, Ralph Wilson wasn't comfortable with Coach Schottenheimer....I for one am stuck on the wanting it 'badly' aspect of this.....but I am skeptical by nature

... and if he is, wonder if he was Tim's source. Sounds like Marty was consistent on this; he had said publicly many times that although he wasn't going to say "never", he was very happy being retired, had other things that interested him now, and didn't see himself getting back into coaching. The call apparently wasn't about interest in the job for himself as it was from a friend to kick some names around. So, it seems like Tim's source saying Marty's interest was extremely hot when from the horse's own mouth it seems tepid at the most doesn't seem totally accurate. Further, it seems like the information that Nix declined his friend Marty is correct in that Ralph had nothing to do with it but not in that it was completely Nix' decision. Marty wasn't really interested after all, so the search went forwards to coaches that were serious, as it should have.

This is actually very good news and makes the decision process seem correctly motivated and properly conducted. :devil:

here is what an "insider" had to say

Jimbo

But why didn’t the Bills speak with Marty Schottenheimer, who has said he was interested in the job and has a solid resume?

“I’ve heard Mr. Wilson really didn’t care for him,” Kelly said. “If the owner doesn’t want you, then what’s the use of talking?”

If one were to step back and see this situation, it is apparent that no matter who you believe, it is clear that Schotty Sr. did NOT turn the Bills down as the 'Bills FO sucks' crowd were screaming about.

Also, Nix's story checks out with Schotty's statements - that Nix was getting more calls than he was making.