Mike Lombardi's take on this trainwreck of a hiring

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this thread is three pages long within an hour I haven't read the whole thing so forgive me if these points have already been made.

So if the Chiefs didn’t think they could sell Gailey, what makes the Bills think they can?

Stupid statement IMO. All that matters is if the guy is a winner or not. Winning sells not names. One of Lombardi's criticisms of Gailey is that he won't be a splashy enough hire. If the guy turns out to be a winner who cares?

He also criticizes Buffalo for staying in house with their GM choice. Having a group of people you know can work together is better than importing people who may have ego issues. I don't believe the front office was the problem during Jauron's coaching stint. I think the problems were 90% coaching. With the current talent on the Bills I wouldn't be surprised to find the Bills in the playoffs this year. Assuming Gailey makes decent choices for assistant coaches.

Since this thread is three pages long within an hour I haven't read the whole thing so forgive me if these points have already been made.

So if the Chiefs didn’t think they could sell Gailey, what makes the Bills think they can?

Stupid statement IMO. All that matters is if the guy is a winner or not. Winning sells not names. One of Lombardi's criticisms of Gailey is that he won't be a splashy enough hire. If the guy turns out to be a winner who cares?

He also criticizes Buffalo for staying in house with their GM choice. Having a group of people you know can work together is better than importing people who may have ego issues. I don't believe the front office was the problem during Jauron's coaching stint. I think the problems were 90% coaching. With the current talent on the Bills I wouldn't be surprised to find the Bills in the playoffs this year. Assuming Gailey makes decent choices for assistant coaches.

I would love to go back & look at the articles from the media folks 1st when we went in house & hired Polian & then when he brought his mentor, Marv Levy in as the head coach.

Are you serious, take carries from our most productive RB and give them to a kid who has issues?

The fact is this whole organization after 10 years of dysfunction needed was a whole body enema and what we got instead is the same binging and choking of/in their own poop.

I agree with Lombardi.

C

How productive was Fred Jackson- I don't remember beating New England or winning a playoff game. It isn't Gailey or Nix's fault that the last 10 years have been how they were.

Oh really? Was it the coaching staff's fault that the average Kyle Williams was our best defensive lineman or that our DE's aren't good enough? That our LB's are so bad that Ellison has started a bunch of games? IS it their fault that the offensive line can't block and that we are so bad at WR that a guy like Parrish can get playing time?

Granted, we haven't had the best coaches in the word, but they haven't been terrible.

FWIW, the guys on Sirius (Schein and, well, I'm not sure today) liked the move.

They said, it was unexpected, but if you look deeper it's a good fit for the Bills. They said that Chan can fix Offenses and the both felt that Trent might actually thrive under him o_O

Just a different perspective out there...

Some folks don't blow through the five stages of grief as fast as you do. If you want to accept it, go ahead. I certainly understand why fans, myself included, refuse to go all in again.

Exactly what are you going "all in" with? Your feelings? It's a sport. It's entertainment. If it's killing you to follow the team, stop following it.

FWIW, the guys on Sirius (Schein and, well, I'm not sure today) liked the move.

They said, it was unexpected, but if you look deeper it's a good fit for the Bills. They said that Chan can fix Offenses and the both felt that Trent might actually thrive under him o_O

Just a different perspective out there...

A different perspective? What's that?

Lombardi's point about marketing was only a small part of his article. I was more struck by the opinion that Gailey is more of a playcaller than a leader / head coach because that's my fear as well and also the opinion that Gailey isn't really that good of an offensive mind (which seems to be supported by his poor offensive stats at Georgia Tech - http://www.firechangailey.com/tape.php ).

But, even though the marketing aspect was not the entire scope of Lombardi's article, I do think we should not underestimate the damage that can be done by the community's collective negativity over the hire. It will operate in subtle ways for sure but negativity is not a good environment to breed success.

This decision is not going to sell. Personally, I think there is going to be a drop off in fan support.

Gee, I can't wait to see our doddering old fool of an owner open up the press conference today.

Bills fans deserve better than what Ralph is giving. Can a local individual or partnership group please

buy this team? I just can't stand any more of this.

I totally agree with the article. The front office talks a good game---this time their gonna change, were gonna get a top tier coach and GM. Then what happens---they promote from within for the GM job--same old same old and they get a guy nobody was looking at for the HC. Interesting his tenure at Tech involved taking over a good program after O'leary and went to D list bowl games. Didnt the present coach of Tech just go to a BCS game? To all the blind homers desperately trying to spin, well spin until your dizzy. You people put Baghdad Bob to shame trying to polish this turd. When you think this team cant sink lower, when you think they cant make worse decisions, well theres ole Ralphie to suprise the fanbase yet again with same old crap.

This decision is not going to sell. Personally, I think there is going to be a drop off in fan support.

Gee, I can't wait to see our doddering old fool of an owner open up the press conference today.

Bills fans deserve better than what Ralph is giving. Can a local individual or partnership group please

buy this team? I just can't stand any more of this.

Lets hope Ralph knows where and what a microphone is, so he doesnt talk into an overhead projector like he did in camp.

"The Bills are irrelevant". The NFL equivalent of the KC Royals and the LA Clippers. It's freaking embarrasing. The only media attention they have gotten is TO and a little winning streak two years ago that got rent on the Jim Rome show. How far off the map are the Bills my god.....

coaching is overrated.....you have talent you win......

Mike Shanahan won back to back super bowls in 1997 & 1998......the following year in 1999 denver finished LAST in their own division......did mike get stupid ??....some guy named elway retired, changed the makeup of the team.

Bill Cowher won the super bowl in 2006. the following year pitt finished 3rd in their own division......did bill get stupid ???....some guy named jerome bettis retired, changed the makeup of the team.

"The Bills are irrelevant". The NFL equivalent of the KC Royals and the LA Clippers. It's freaking embarrasing. The only media attention they have gotten is TO and a little winning streak two years ago that got rent on the Jim Rome show. How far off the map are the Bills my god.....

That is because we have let our offensive line go since 1993 and our defensive line since losing Ted Washington and Bruce Smith. Aaron Schobel hasn't been as productive as he could be, because we have treated him like Phil Hansen, when he is more like Jim Jeffcoat. I would like to see him moved to a third down road and tell him to go out there and hammer the QB- forget his run responsibilities. He has a talent, but we never have taken full advantage of it.

Lets hope Ralph knows where and what a microphone is, so he doesnt talk into an overhead projector like he did in camp.

When I think of Ralph at the microphone, I cringe. Maybe they will give him one that attaches to his tie. Speaking of tie clip microphones, it brings back memories of Leslie Nielson in The Naded Gun where he forgets to take it off and then goes into the bathroom for everyone to hear.

Nix is a "Football GM"

Chan came recommend by some of the best in the business. Cowher, Polian, and even Jerry Jones said he handle the firing wrong. These guys don't give out opinions if they don't think it will work. In my business if you don't want or can't take on the job, you recommend the best person or company for the job, because that becomes a reflection of your company. So KC couldn't market him, from the looks of thier record and offensive production, they should have given him the HC job.

You don't go for the marketing end in this business unless you are worried about wins. Like the TO deal sold tickets, but everyone really knew he wasn't goiong to be productive with the QB's on thier backs.

I think this will play out like the Marv Levy hiring! The only difference is Chan has won on each level and in each position OC and HC.

So we make a "Football decisions" instead of a marketing decision and everyone hates it.

I know one thing we will have a wining season next year and 2012 we will be in the AFC CHANpionship Game.

Go Bills

:rolleyes:

What a porrly researched and edited article - and the fans here who don't want to hear anything positive are eating it up, of course.

As a side-note - WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP CALLING NIX A OBD INSIDER???

He was with the Bills one whole year folks. He was brought in as an outsider last year, and in that one year the Bills had seemingly one of their best drafts ever. Before that he worked in San Diego. How were their personnel moves bad?

AS FOR THE NEW HC

Now we have Gailey coming in as an experienced and well-regarded offensive mind (who likes to pound it on the ground) and head coach in both the NFL and College who (unlike Jauron) has repeatedly put up winning records.

And we know from published stories (sorry I don't have the links, but this stuff is all over):

Scott Pioli wanted him as the HC in Kansas City, but for strictly marketing reasons didn't pick him. He was then fired by the new kid who wanted to rely on Matt Cassell throwing the ball rather than Larry Johnson running it. How's that working out KC? Oh right - their new kid coach gets the 5th pick overall with their 4-12 record.

We know Bill Cowher told Pittsburgh Gailey was his choice to replace him. Nearly everyone here wanted Cowher, but noone here is willing to take Cowher's word on what a good coach Gailey is?? Huh???

We know Jerry Jones says firing Chan Gailey as Dallas head coach after just two years was his worst decision as Dallas owner. Dallas dropped from 8-8 to 5-11 after he was fired.

But because some of you want to hate - what? - your city, your team, yourselves?? You've decided to hate this move too.

Whatever. We'll know for sure in a couple of years. Until then, just don't do anything too silly that makes it harder to bring in FA's OK?