Bills Raiders AFC Championship game - the National Anthem

bbb

I was just reminded tonight about that. It was spine tingling, goose bump causing unbridled patriotism..........Flags just all over the place out of nowhere, everybody singing as loud as they could, fly-by iirc.........I remember back then trying to find a recording and I dont' think NBC had done a good job, if they even had us on (they kept switching to war coverage during the game)..........Is there anyway to find that video?

Does anybody remember how incredible that was?

I was just reminded tonight about that. It was spine tingling, goose bump causing unbridled patriotism..........Flags just all over the place out of nowhere, everybody singing as loud as they could, fly-by iirc.........I remember back then trying to find a recording and I dont' think NBC had done a good job, if they even had us on (they kept switching to war coverage during the game)..........Is there anyway to find that video?

You're probably thinking of Whitney Houston at the Super Bowl the following week--- but, yes, it was awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR_KwLvf0is

You're probably thinking of Whitney Houston at the Super Bowl the following week--- but, yes, it was awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR_KwLvf0is

I am not thinking of Whitney at all..........It was the AFC Championship game. The first national event since the start of the war earlier that week. I was there, but I wasn't at the Super Bowl...........It was something I'd never forget or mix up with soemthing else.

I'm not sure who the band was, and you're right nobody mentions it...........and, I hadn't thought about it until somebody brought it up tonight as being the most awesome patriotic thing they've ever seen, and that was exactly what it was..........It was 1000x better than Whitney's prerecorded national anthem, as good as that was. This was real, this was Buffalo people, this was red white and blue everywhere - not just the team colors but these American flags that just all appeared for the anthem.

Of course I remember how awesome it was, as I was wiping the tears from my eyes.

My memories of that day are as follows

1) Listening to the radio on the drive from DC to Grand island, first night of missile attacks into Isreal, fearing chemical weapons, not even thinking of the game

2) Mom desperately not wanting my brother and me to go to game..first national event and all

3) Tailgate lots swampped with American flags, and 90% of the converstaion focused on the war, 10% on the Bills

4) Leaving 40 minutes earlier than usual for the stadium from the lots, as security was intense

5) The anthem

6) The Shell basketball timeout followed by the Kelly to Lofton TD after Jimbo dropped the snap.

7) the post game watching Gints and 49ers play, being disappointed the Gints won as I wanted to Bills to be the one that crushed the muich better thought of 49ers, beating the Giants was just not going to mean as much :D<_<

would love to see some pictures. here is a decent link:

http://www.empiresports.com/maiorana.shtml

It couldn't have been a more glorious, yet poignant day for Wilson. Yes, his team was finally going to the Super Bowl as it pummeled his old rival from the renegade AFL days, Al Davis, with a devastating display of power and precision, the 48-point margin of victory the third-largest in playoff history. But Wilson's elation was tempered by the fact that the United States had just become embroiled in the Persian Gulf War, and it was not lost on Wilson that as the Bills and Raiders were playing a

football game, fellow Americans were fighting a much more important battle in a desert halfway around the world.

A World War II veteran who served his country proudly, Wilson had tears in his eyes as he surveyed the patriotic, flag-waving, record crowd of 80,324 during the emotional playing of the National Anthem by the West Point marching band. And as the throng chanted "U-S-A!, U-S-A!, U-S-A!" he felt genuine respect in his heart for those who had been called on to carry out Operation Desert Storm.

I remember it. Sharon Jones sang it(wife of Rusty Jones). She had a very good voice. Crowd was very loud (was at the game).I have the telecast recorded (somewhere). They had some audio problems. NBC was showing gulf war coverage and Bob Costas broke in and they switched to live coverage of Jones' national anthem and America the beautiful. Great stuff. :thumbdown:

I flew up for that game. I still have my shirt "Bo dont know snow" I even showed up in a picture in the newspaper.

Whic game was it that the crowd sang the Anthem unaccompanied? That was amazing.

I still remember watching that game on a big screen while working at BJ's Wholesale Club (my college job). The place sounded like you were at the stadium. That was the best time to be a Bills fan. The Raiders (espically Howie Long) talked a lot of smack before the game and just choked when they faced JK and the no huddle. The patritoism of the Bills fans was awesome! If I remember correctle, LB Carlton Bailey's father was serving at the time, and Baily was playing for his father.

would love to see some pictures. here is a decent link:

http://www.empiresports.com/maiorana.shtml

It couldn't have been a more glorious, yet poignant day for Wilson. Yes, his team was finally going to the Super Bowl as it pummeled his old rival from the renegade AFL days, Al Davis, with a devastating display of power and precision, the 48-point margin of victory the third-largest in playoff history. But Wilson's elation was tempered by the fact that the United States had just become embroiled in the Persian Gulf War, and it was not lost on Wilson that as the Bills and Raiders were playing a

football game, fellow Americans were fighting a much more important battle in a desert halfway around the world.

A World War II veteran who served his country proudly, Wilson had tears in his eyes as he surveyed the patriotic, flag-waving, record crowd of 80,324 during the emotional playing of the National Anthem by the West Point marching band. And as the throng chanted "U-S-A!, U-S-A!, U-S-A!" he felt genuine respect in his heart for those who had been called on to carry out Operation Desert Storm.

Oh, yeah - I forgot about the the USA chant at the end......Wow..........As great as that game was, that national anthem was even better. What a moment. (I'd love to see it again, but if iirc NBC didn't do a good job on it. These days there would be some great homemade video on youtube)