Rolando McClain Press Conference

jangalang

Who cares? LB is one of the last things we need to address

Not according to the "Let's switch to the 3-4" faction around here. I agree with you. There isn't an LB in the league that can make a difference in a game if there isn't a solid line in front of them.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to pass on Mclain and here is why. Its not that he isn't extremely talented but he had the best and biggest DL making it possible for him to roam the countryside freely. We do not have that here. Just my 2 cents.

No offense bro, but did you ever watch McClain at all? He was the unquestioned leader of that defense. He made all of the adjustments and calls on the field on defense. He's also noted as being the best student of the game that Saban has ever had. On the field he had excellent instincts, being able to sniff out screens and find cracks in the blocking to get to the ball carrier or QB. He also is able to drop back in coverage at 6'4" and 258lbs. This guy will be a beast anywhere, on any defense that he suits up for.

I have been Watching the Buffalo Bills, a team devoid of a QB which is much more important that any LB. We are also in need of OL and DL again much more important than a LB

I don't think that anyone is saying that we don't need to address these areas my friend, but we need a QB of the defense first IMO. We don't have a leader like that right now and this guy fits the bill on and off the field. Look at the '96 Ravens draft and you will see something we could do, just in the opposite order, if we take McClain and hit on our choice for a LT.

Not according to the "Let's switch to the 3-4" faction around here. I agree with you. There isn't an LB in the league that can make a difference in a game if there isn't a solid line in front of them.

that's definitely true. We're gonna have a nightmare situation at DE if Schobel retires. I'm thinking we'll need to invest pretty heavily in free agency at end. Plus its likely we'll let Denney walk and the new folks might not be big Kelsay fans. Though I don't see how that's possible... :huh:

No offense bro, but did you ever watch McClain at all? He was the unquestioned leader of that defense. He made all of the adjustments and calls on the field on defense. He's also noted as being the best student of the game that Saban has ever had. On the field he had excellent instincts, being able to sniff out screens and find cracks in the blocking to get to the ball carrier or QB. He also is able to drop back in coverage at 6'4" and 258lbs. This guy will be a beast anywhere, on any defense that he suits up for.

I don't think that anyone is saying that we don't need to address these areas my friend, but we need a QB of the defense first IMO. We don't have a leader like that right now and this guy fits the bill on and off the field. Look at the '96 Ravens draft and you will see something we could do, just in the opposite order, if we take McClain and hit on our choice for a LT.

Bro, read my 2nd sentence. I know he is a phenomenal talent and have seen him many times this year. But with all of the glaring needs LBer just isn't what we need. Our OL was pathetic, actually pathetic is a nice word for what it was. Time to build properly.

McClain is already bigger than most of our DEs, so maybe he could be a twofer MLB on running downs and DE on obvious passing downs- as for OTs my guess is you are going to have to get back into the bottom of round 1 to get one who has a good chance of playing LT in the NFL.

McClain is already bigger than most of our DEs, so maybe he could be a twofer MLB on running downs and DE on obvious passing downs- as for OTs my guess is you are going to have to get back into the bottom of round 1 to get one who has a good chance of playing LT in the NFL.

I'm not sure I really believe his listed height and weight. I'm with you on the LT situation - I'm concerned about not pulling the trigger on one when we have the chance.

I'd like Bulaga at 9 and Mount Cody in the 2nd. Then Pike if he's there in the 3rd. I wouldn't be upset by drafting McClain though at all, we need help in a lot of places.

There is no way Cody lasts until the 2nd when we pick. If we could get Bulaga and Cody in the same draft without trading away our picks for the next 2 years it would be the steal of the century.

clearly could use him. I'm more inclined to go LT, assuming all the QB's worth drafting are gone by 9. But the more talent potentially available at 9, the better.

The Bills should not touch a QB at number 9. They need a player who can contribute immediately. I'm not convinced about any of the QB prospects at number 9. I'd rather get a QB in Rd. 2. At number 9 I say OT or LB. And if both are on the board I would be hard pressed to choose. McClain looks like a Patrick Willis type guy. I think this decision will come down to what they do in FA. If they can get an OT in FA they are free to get a McClain. If they don't then they will need to take OT.

When you have an opportunity to draft a potential pro bowler that can play the pass and is a run stuffer, you take it.

LB is a position of weakness on our team we need to build it. In fact not knowing the FA situation for the year we need to come away fron this draft with 2 LB's. McLain should be one.

OT is a serious position of need but after Okung there is a drop off, with about 5-6 others very similar in talent. We should be able to land a solid one in the second and bolster this with more OL help later in the draft.

QB, for us to be able to turn the ship around fully we will need to trade or go FA. Kevin Kolb or Troy Smith maybe even Mike Vick could work here. Then draft your potential future QB so he has time to develop. This what Parcells did in Miami.

If the FA Market allows. We should target a OT, G and DL.

Positions we need to upgrade to be a true contender.

QB - Keep Fitz, he is a quality back up that can play in bad weather.

C - Hangartner is not it. Move Woods there and draft a guard

WR - Hard to say until we get a quality QB.

DE - Try hard to keep Schobel and target DE in FA

DT - I like the thought of drafting here. We need to get bigger. Many of your quality DT's are captured in the later rounds.

LB - Draft 2 that are big and strong with speed and you will see a tremendous difference in run support. McLain is a good

start.

Trading back in the draft and trades will be needed to generate more picks Parrish, Lynch, Edwards, Poz will generate the most interest. Lets face it they all have missed games and literally weren't missed. They all have had flashes of being decent players. I wouldn't let them all go but who ever I could make the first deal would be gone. Let's take advantage of it. I would try to get a 3 and a 4 from trades.

There is no way Cody lasts until the 2nd when we pick. If we could get Bulaga and Cody in the same draft without trading away our picks for the next 2 years it would be the steal of the century.

there's a decent chance Cody will be there because he's not an every down player and he has a weight issue. Scouts Inc has him rated 52nd overall and other outfits have him around there too.

The Bills should not touch a QB at number 9. They need a player who can contribute immediately. I'm not convinced about any of the QB prospects at number 9. I'd rather get a QB in Rd. 2. At number 9 I say OT or LB. And if both are on the board I would be hard pressed to choose. McClain looks like a Patrick Willis type guy. I think this decision will come down to what they do in FA. If they can get an OT in FA they are free to get a McClain. If they don't then they will need to take OT.

I only go QB if a guy like Claussen is there. I don't think he will be, so no, I don't go QB in round 1 either.

I like McClain a lot, but until he runs a 4.4 40, I don't think its fair to call him Patrick Willis. Willis is very likely the most athletic linebacker in NFL history

Agreed. I would love McClain and Bulaga/Brown as our first two picks if that is at all possible.

A very hearty 2nd on that vote!!! I think the Bills would have to get back into the 1st round to draft Bulaga, probably around 20ish, but this would be great.....unless, God forbid, the Bills either traded for (not a 1st rounder) or obtained a LT F.A.....then this would be unnecessary unless the aforementioned F.A. or traded player was in his early to mid-30s, then we would want to draft a guy a couple years ahead of time so he can develop and be schooled by, what we hope will be, a solid Offensive Line coach....yeah, I know....I can hear my alarm going off too.....but dreaming is nice..

I have been Watching the Buffalo Bills, a team devoid of a QB which is much more important that any LB. We are also in need of OL and DL again much more important than a LB

While all those things are true there has to be very good players at those positions available when the Bills draft. You don't just draft for need, you draft the best player possible at a position of need. The surest way to miss on players in the draft is to say "we need a QB here" and draft a QB at that spot no matter what.

The Bills are in desperate need of LBs and if Rolando is on the board when the Bills pick and there's nobody higher on the Bills' board at the other spots you grab him.

I only go QB if a guy like Claussen is there. I don't think he will be, so no, I don't go QB in round 1 either.

I like McClain a lot, but until he runs a 4.4 40, I don't think its fair to call him Patrick Willis. Willis is very likely the most athletic linebacker in NFL history

Ray Lewis did not run 4.4 either.

I believe one of the problems the Bills have is that they have been using the combine olympics as opposed to game film to evaluate talent.

That's how we ended up with Maybin who posted great stats for his position. The HOF is full of LB's that didn't run a sub 4.4 40

Willis is very athletic but is he better than Lewis, or Urlacher, who ran slower times?? maybe, maybe not.

I like McClain in this slot. I hope we have a shot at him.

With this reasoning would it be fair to say until Jerry Rice runs a 4.3 forty its not fair to compare him to Don Beebe.