Could the Bills be playing 'hardball' with Cowher?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're the only option for anyone who wants to be a head coach in the NFL next year. That's actually a position of power in negotiating.

The Bills actually have some leverage. How often does THAT happen?

Not Quite. Cowher has a cushy job right now. and the potential to be the next Carolina coach. either, this year or next year. It is easy for him to wait a year. We cant play hardball, like some of the other teams in the league can anyways.

Theoretically, leverage is nice, however the Bills are in desperate need of legitimacy. And Ralph gets older by the day.

Can the Bills really afford to play chicken?

Agreed. They can't afford to hire a guy like Leslie Frazier, as they will alienate the fan base. At some point Bills fans, will only be able to take so much bs from the Bills front office. They promised changes, and so far the biggest change (excluding the coaching staff getting the ax which was obviously going to happen) was promoting a GM from within. Modrak and Guy are still employed, and they appear to be ready to hire another DC with no prior NFL head coaching experience, which will not help them with their issue of legitimacy.

Theoretically, leverage is nice, however the Bills are in desperate need of legitimacy. And Ralph gets older by the day.

Can the Bills really afford to play chicken?

forget Cowher, i want a coach who is going to get us to the SB not just to the playoffs. If he has to be dragged here under his terms and conditions, does he really have the fire to be a winner here? Let him make his demands negotiate a reasonable balance or just say no, and let the rest of us go on.

Could the Bills be playing 'hardball' with Cowher?

Excellent point, I'll buy it! That way, when he doesn't come to Buffalo, the Bills can say they really didn't want him instead of Cowher not wanting to come to Buffalo. Then they wont look as cheap, when they hire a current OC or DC as the next HC... :huh:

Is that you Ralph...

Agreed. They can't afford to hire a guy like Leslie Frazier, as they will alienate the fan base. At some point Bills fans, will only be able to take so much bs from the Bills front office. They promised changes, and so far the biggest change (excluding the coaching staff getting the ax which was obviously going to happen) was promoting a GM from within. Modrak and Guy are still employed, and they appear to be ready to hire another DC with no prior NFL head coaching experience, which will not help them with their issue of legitimacy.

I concur. another poster raised a very salient point re Toronto money. RB needs $$$ from Toronto to keep Bills the profitable machine that it is. I suspect this is a critical juncture for the team and they need a legit face of the organization and it aint Frazier. they need to sell lux boxes. so the poster concluded that they can't afford to hire an unknown like Frazier.

It's over. It is so over with that guy. Time to figure out who the best coordinator will be and my vote goes to Brian Schottenheimer

I'm not sure if it's over, but I'm damn sure tired of waiting for it to happen. I stick to the notion that Cowher is too professional to string an organization along like this. There's got to be more to it. Why would he do this and make himself look like a jerk? I don't buy it. However ... I don't think it's his lifelong dream to be the coach of the Buffalo Bills, either. I'd rather see them hire someone who wants to coach here; not someone they need to beg and overpay to be here.

I'd like to see someone like Rex Ryan. As much as I dislike the Jets, I love this guy and the fire he brings to his team. I love his press conferences and his interviews, too. I don't know much about the temperaments of any of these coordinators out there (Frazier, Schott), but I'd like to see some personality and some fire.

If that's not coming via Cowher, bring it from somewhere else. A little brash cockiness would be a welcome change.

I'm not sure if it's over, but I'm damn sure tired of waiting for it to happen. I stick to the notion that Cowher is too professional to string an organization along like this. There's got to be more to it. Why would he do this and make himself look like a jerk? I don't buy it. However ... I don't think it's his lifelong dream to be the coach of the Buffalo Bills, either. I'd rather see them hire someone who wants to coach here; not someone they need to beg and overpay to be here.

I'd like to see someone like Rex Ryan. As much as I dislike the Jets, I love this guy and the fire he brings to his team. I love his press conferences and his interviews, too. I don't know much about the temperaments of any of these coordinators out there (Frazier, Schott), but I'd like to see some personality and some fire.

If that's not coming via Cowher, bring it from somewhere else. A little brash cockiness would be a welcome change.

If we hired Rex last year and dropped DJ earlier we would have been in playoffs and we would be big , strong and agressive al over the field. We blew that one.

Here's what I don't get:

I think it's a long shot for Cowher to come her because of Ralph's reputation. However, until Bill Cowher or the Buffalo Bills say: "I/Bill will not be coaching the Bills next year" then the story is very much alive. I really don't give a **** what forum rumor smacktards say or the "insiders". If they were as inside as they claim, they'd just ****ing call Cowher and get an definitive answer. NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE has reported that Bill Cowher has declined the job. Every report is the same nonsense that starts with "a source". Well until BC is the source I'm not convinced.

This is the piece that puzzles me the most. If all of the media pundits are confident that Cowher will not be coaching in Buffalo why doesn't Cowher or the Bills just come out and say it? There's absolutely no reason for him not to kill this story UNLESS he is considering coaching in Buffalo.

We've got pleeb assistant coaches with other teams confirming that they aren't coaching with us yet the most coveted name refuses to comment either way?

CBS goes through and entire pre-game show and makes NO MENTION of the ONLY coaching vacancy in the NFL and the fact that Cowher is a candidate. None of Cowher's co-host even make a joke or reference it?

I'm not a detective but something is fishy.

I 100% disagree. Bills fans, and I am talking about the hardcore ones who will tell you to go !@#$ yourself if you say anything bad about either the Bills or Buffalo as a city, will continue to buy tickets/merchandise etc. as long as they stay in Buffalo. That has been proven and will not change. The Bills have been around for 50 years now, and except for the Kelly superbowl years in the 90's have not fielded great (or generally even good) teams. They may not set season ticket selling records again next year. But not support their Buffalo Bills? No !@#$ing way.

Agreed look at what he did with Sanchez in one year.

Sanchez???? He has sucked this season for the most part. They have won the last few games because he can hand the ball off. I suspect he will end up being a good QB, but he certainly was not this season.

Not Quite. Cowher has a cushy job right now. and the potential to be the next Carolina coach. either, this year or next year. It is easy for him to wait a year. We cant play hardball, like some of the other teams in the league can anyways.

Carolina isn't something that can be planned. If they have a turnaround season and make the playoffs, the job won't open then either.

BC does have a cushy job. Imagine just doin' yardwork and walkin' the dog for 6 days a week, then fly to Manhatten, stay in a fabulous hotel and blab football for 6 hrs. on Sunday. Then imagine being payed millions$$$ to live like that..

I can't. And I think it's more of a factor than anyone seems to be acknowledging.