Senator Harry Reid: Obama Has "No Negro Dialect"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/09/h...-_n_417406.html

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama says he's accepted an apology from the Senate's top Democrat for calling him a "light skinned" African-American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

Obama, the first black president, said in a statement on Saturday that he accepted the apology for the "unfortunate comment. Obama said he knows what's in Sen. Harry Reid's heart and says the Nevada Democrat has shown "passionate leadership" on issues of social justice.

A book set to be released on Monday quotes Reid as saying in private discussions that the country was ready to put a black in the White House, especially one like Obama. The racially tinged comments prompted Reid to issue a public apology for the comments earlier on Saturday.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) – The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate apologized on Saturday for comments he made about Barack Obama's race during the 2008 presidential bid and are quoted in a yet-to-be-released book about the campaign.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." Obama is the nation's first African-American president.

"I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African-Americans for my improper comments," Reid said in a statement released after the excerpts were first reported on the Web site of The Atlantic.

"I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda."

...more.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting worse!

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2010/01/...t-lotts-ouster/

Obama forgives Harry Reid’s racist comments, yet in 2002 demanded Trent Lott’s ouster

As the revelations of Harry Reid’s racist negro dialect remark spreads like wildfire around the ‘net, Harry Reid was forced to call up and apologize to Obama in Saturday afternoon. Obama seemed to have no problem with Reid’s racism:

“I accepted Harry’s apology without question because I’ve known him for years, I’ve seen the passionate leadership he’s shown on issues of social justice and I know what’s in his heart,” Obama said in a written statement. “As far as I am concerned, the book is closed.”

Yet in 2002, as the Washington Examiner notes, Then Senate majority leader Trent Lott, R-Miss., was hounded out of his majority leader position after he remarked favorably on former Sen. Strom Thurmond’s 1948 run for president on a segregationist third-party line. Obama whined and complained at the time and said this:

“It seems to be that we can forgive a 100-year-old senator (Thurmond) for some of the indiscretion of his youth, but, what is more difficult to forgive is the current president of the U.S. Senate (Lott) suggesting we had been better off if we had followed a segregationist path in this country after all of the battles and fights for civil rights and all the work that we still have to do,” said Obama. He said: “The Republican Party itself has to drive out Trent Lott. If they have to stand for something, they have to stand up and say this is not the person we want representing our party.”

Hypocrisy much Obama?

This is getting worse!

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2010/01/...t-lotts-ouster/

Obama forgives Harry Reid’s racist comments, yet in 2002 demanded Trent Lott’s ouster

As the revelations of Harry Reid’s racist negro dialect remark spreads like wildfire around the ‘net, Harry Reid was forced to call up and apologize to Obama in Saturday afternoon. Obama seemed to have no problem with Reid’s racism:

“I accepted Harry’s apology without question because I’ve known him for years, I’ve seen the passionate leadership he’s shown on issues of social justice and I know what’s in his heart,” Obama said in a written statement. “As far as I am concerned, the book is closed.”

Yet in 2002, as the Washington Examiner notes, Then Senate majority leader Trent Lott, R-Miss., was hounded out of his majority leader position after he remarked favorably on former Sen. Strom Thurmond’s 1948 run for president on a segregationist third-party line. Obama whined and complained at the time and said this:

“It seems to be that we can forgive a 100-year-old senator (Thurmond) for some of the indiscretion of his youth, but, what is more difficult to forgive is the current president of the U.S. Senate (Lott) suggesting we had been better off if we had followed a segregationist path in this country after all of the battles and fights for civil rights and all the work that we still have to do,” said Obama. He said: “The Republican Party itself has to drive out Trent Lott. If they have to stand for something, they have to stand up and say this is not the person we want representing our party.”

Hypocrisy much Obama?

Ahh the irony.

Kind of different remarking on someone's skin color vs saying that the country would have been better off if it stayed segregated, no?

This is a story dredged up--remark happened during the campaign.

And last I checked, he is light-skinned, and doesn't speak a "Negro dialect"...whatever the !@#$ that is.

Though if a Republican said this, there'd be blood in the streets.

Kind of different remarking on someone's skin color vs saying that the country would have been better off if it stayed segregated, no?

This is a story dredged up--remark happened during the campaign.

Technically, Lott didn't say segregation was better, he said Thurmond would have made a good president. I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but let's face it, unless Thrumond was running against two Canadians, then Lott was wrong. Lott'stuff might be racist, maybe not.

To be fair to Reid, he basically said he likes Obama because Obama speaks well. Joe Biden once pointed out that Obama takes a lot of showers. Again a positive. Clearly, these democrats don't adhere to common stereotypes which proves they aren't racist.

Harry speak translated:

"I like negroes like Obama, who aren't too dark, and can speak properly like whites - but can still break out into hood-speak to raise money and get votes if needed. It's blacks like Marshawn Lynch, who are dark skinned and speak and act like typical gangsta negroes, that I can't stand."

Racist? Well, no, not at all...he's a tolerant, progressive liberal, remember?

Technically, Lott didn't say segregation was better, he said Thurmond would have made a good president. I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but let's face it, unless Thrumond was running against two Canadians, then Lott was wrong. Lott'stuff might be racist, maybe not.

To be fair to Reid, he basically said he likes Obama because Obama speaks well. Joe Biden once pointed out that Obama takes a lot of showers. Again a positive. Clearly, these democrats don't adhere to common stereotypes which proves they aren't racist.

Yes, like praising the "intelligence" of African American quarterbacks and saying that white players are "athletic".

Proper tip-toeing through the politically correct landminescape requires use of PC approved metaphors. Harry slipped up in his racist remarks about President BO. He probably meant to say, "He ain't heavy, he's a mother."

Though if a Republican said this, there'd be blood in the streets.

Of course there would be. It is a one way street.

Going back many years, if one was white but had a drop of negro blood somewhere down the family line... The were considered negro. Back then it worked to a disadvantage. Today it works to an advantage.

Get over it.

Well, it's not as if he wasn't speaking the truth, but as DC said, if some one from the conservative side would of made such a comment, there would be blood on the streets.

Again... Rightly so.

There is a reason why the AA's can use the N-word and others may not get awya with it so easily.

Applies the same way when it comes to race relations and what Repubs and Dems can get away with.

Repubs can't get away with this because they have been known to act on it.

It is all about credibility and the benefit of doubt. Harry Reid can be given the benefit of doubt. Others can't be.

Again... Get over it, there is no equal footing here when it comes to party and their current ideology they hold.

Harry speak translated:

"I like negroes like Obama, who aren't too dark, and can speak properly like whites - but can still break out into hood-speak to raise money and get votes if needed. It's blacks like Marshawn Lynch, who are dark skinned and speak and act like typical gangsta negroes, that I can't stand."

Racist? Well, no, not at all...he's a tolerant, progressive liberal, remember?

Obama, when addressing a mostly black crowd does speak with an intentional "negro dialect". He absolutely does. While Harry is a stupid old fool for making these remarks, what does it say about Obama's genuineness that he does that?

Obama, when addressing a mostly black crowd does speak with an intentional "negro dialect". He absolutely does. While Harry is a stupid old fool for making these remarks, what does it say about Obama's genuineness that he does that?

Nothing.

Why shouldn't he.

I have some nice cheese to go with all this wine.