Wilson updates AP on Bills coaching search

That guy makes Sullivan look like a homer.

36 years on the beat. For the record, he wanted Kay Stephenson fired following the 1984 season instead of waiting four games into '85 to do it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph has complete control over when he gives interviews. So why did he choose to speak now?

In my opinion his conversation with JW was a complete stalling action. Stalling could be determined to be necessary for several possible reasons::

- to throw a small bone to the fans while we wait going into the weekend

- to give Cowher time to release the info in a way that assists his current employer, or fulfills his contract (someone mentioned that he could have a nondisclosure clause limiting his abiity to discuss his status while the season is in progress

- to confirm the Bills interest in Cowher in order to limit other candidates' negotiating leverage

- other ?

36 years on the beat. For the record, he wanted Kay Stephenson fired following the 1984 season instead of waiting four games into '85 to do it.

I'd put Chuck at the head of the line as far as local reporters. If anyone has a point of view, his is most likely the best to hear.

That said, this whole Cowher thing is anybody's guess.

I wish John has asked Wilson about the billboard and if that points to any ineptness the fans point to the organization. Not sure if that's okay for an AP writer to go after, but to me it's got to be embarrassing.

It tells me everything. We aren't going to get "a splashy name" as our HC. Get ready for more second tier talent.

I have been saying this since Jouron got the hook. The "talk" and rumors you are hearing are only a thinly vailed smokescreen in an effort to show BIll's fans out there that the Organization is really coming to play...willing to pay "anything". Has everyone already fogotten that we just settled on our GM? This organizaiton is bullsh-t and everyone should call them on it.

As the pipe to clearly advised, get ready to grab your ankles - here comes the tier coach wrapped in a shroud of celebration...enjoy.

John,

What was Mr. Wilsons tone of voice when you spoke to him on the phone? Did he seem genuine when saying you would have to ask him?

i was wondering the same thing. Did he sound befuddled and confused? Or did he sound like he knew a secret? Maybe the Bills have offered him the gig already, and Ralphie was smirking a little. I dont know, why dont you ask him? meaning the offer is out there and he is just waiting to hear back, maybe?

I have been saying this since Jouron got the hook. The "talk" and rumors you are hearing are only a thinly vailed smokescreen in an effort to show BIll's fans out there that the Organization is really coming to play...willing to pay "anything". Has everyone already fogotten that we just settled on our GM? This organizaiton is bullsh-t and everyone should call them on it.

As the pipe to clearly advised, get ready to grab your ankles - here comes the tier coach wrapped in a shroud of celebration...enjoy.

While I certainly hope you're wrong...My gut is telling me you're 100% right...

We'll see soon enough I guess... :rolleyes:

Chuck Pollock doesn't know. The national media doesn't know. Nobody knows and we just have to wait. The Bills FO is playing everybody. All of this conflicting information is no accident. They want people out of the mix and that's just what they're getting.

I'd be thrilled if they were bright enough to pull that off.

this is what the cynic in me suggests and I am not ruling it out.

Ill hold my judgement until we see who the actual HC is. I am unimpressed with the recent "changes" in the front office. If somehow a deal is announced with Cowher, every negative feeling I have toward the Bills is proven completely untrue.

If they get some shite... it doesnt matter at all who was interviewed

Honestly.....if Ralph wants somebody here that WANTS to be here?

Hire billick. He is not a bad second option to pie in the sky cowher.....at least he has a winning record and super bowl.

its a immediate step up.

I agree. I wonder why the Bills have not shown any interest in him at all.

i was wondering the same thing. Did he sound befuddled and confused? Or did he sound like he knew a secret? Maybe the Bills have offered him the gig already, and Ralphie was smirking a little. I dont know, why dont you ask him? meaning the offer is out there and he is just waiting to hear back, maybe?

This was posted by jw earlier in response to a question about the tone of rw's response:

QUOTE (john wawrow @ Jan 8 2010, 06:39 PM) *

right, not much earth-shattering news, but Mr. Wilson at least named Cowher as someone they've talked to.

his tone of voice regarding "you'd have to ask him," sounded to me like they've left it to Cowher, and he hasn't really been that interested.

in the updated version of the story, you should note that Mr. Wilson said: "we don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name," and instead is looking for someone who "wants to come to Buffalo." reading between the lines, that suggests they're not counting on Cowher.

Mr. Wilson at least did clear up the timetable, but saying there isn't one and that they're not rushing into making a decision. that leads me to believe that there's still candidates out there to interview. so rather than expecting a press conference this weekend, it might be further down the road.

Mr. Wilson did not want to say much, and that's understandable. the search is ongoing.

jw

This was posted by jw earlier in response to a question about the tone of rw's response:

QUOTE (john wawrow @ Jan 8 2010, 06:39 PM) *

right, not much earth-shattering news, but Mr. Wilson at least named Cowher as someone they've talked to.

his tone of voice regarding "you'd have to ask him," sounded to me like they've left it to Cowher, and he hasn't really been that interested.

in the updated version of the story, you should note that Mr. Wilson said: "we don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name," and instead is looking for someone who "wants to come to Buffalo." reading between the lines, that suggests they're not counting on Cowher.

Mr. Wilson at least did clear up the timetable, but saying there isn't one and that they're not rushing into making a decision. that leads me to believe that there's still candidates out there to interview. so rather than expecting a press conference this weekend, it might be further down the road.

Mr. Wilson did not want to say much, and that's understandable. the search is ongoing.

jw

huh.

I missed that completely.

Thanks.

editing? what's that?????? :rolleyes:

still in editing. i'll try to post something quick when it moves. but i've got a little more to write and a few interviews to do.

and sorry, can't say.

jw

GG: didn't know if this rated starting a new post. my apologies. :flirt:

JUST MOVED. IT SHOULD BE OUT ON INTRAWEBS.

"we don't want a splashy name", "we want someone with passion"...the world is filled with people with passion, it doesn't mean they can create a winning team. :rolleyes:

The fans want a splashy name, that name is Bill Cohwer.

Hire someone who can build an offense and make it work, look at the Baltimore Ravens this weekend and comprehend this... they are winning with a young QB, solid O line and dominate running attack, so are the Jets. That formula appears to work when you don't have a Payton Manning or Drew Brees at QB.

My read on Wilson's remarks:

Possibility #1 (more likely)

The Bills have more or less offered the job to Cowher, and he has not responded yet. This is both good and bad. It is good because if Cowher had declined, or if the Bills were not considering him for a job, Wilson would have said that Cowher was not in the picture. He did not say that. That means that Cowher has not formally told the Bills that he is not interested.

It is bad because Cowher has not accepted the job, and Wilson's remarks about a "splashy name" suggest that the Bills are becoming discouraged with Cowher and (in the "sour grapes" mentality) suggesting they didn't want him in the first place.

Possibility #2 (less likely)

Cowher has indicated to the Bills that he is not interested in the Bills coaching position, but Wilson wants to let Cowher speak for himself on that one. I think this is less likely because this news would have been leaked in the last week. The lack of information about Cowher and the Bills is more consistent with possibility #1, than with #2.

Just my read.

jw...

can you post the article now where Wilson coherently says that they are committed to building a winner and in doing so, they are trying to hammer out some details with Bill Cowher?

Might have to wait a while for that one.

(And that's not because jw's busy with the Sabres game tonight, either.)

Might have to wait a while for that one.

(And that's not because jw's busy with the Sabres game tonight, either.)

That's a good thing cuz the game's been over for a while.