Question For All of You

Obviously our two biggest needs are QB and LT. My question is this, would we really be doing the best thing for our franchise if we drafted him at #9? Say Okung or Trent Williams or Klausen is there? Maybe I don't know much about Rolando but is LB really a big enough need to spend a first round pick on?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously our two biggest needs are QB and LT. My question is this, would we really be doing the best thing for our franchise if we drafted him at #9? Say Okung or Trent Williams or Klausen is there? Maybe I don't know much about Rolando but is LB really a big enough need to spend a first round pick on?

No, it is not. LT or QB has to be it. Being able to get Lefevour for QB in round 2 would be great. LT #1. That problem is not getting fixed in any way other than the draft.

Was getting Cornelius Bennett a big deal in 1987?

No, it is not. LT or QB has to be it. Being able to get Lefevour for QB in round 2 would be great. LT #1. That problem is not getting fixed in any way other than the draft.

I do think that the best approach to drafting talent in the NFL is to first determine what position you are going to draft with each pick. That makes the whole process much easier to manage. Instead of a team having to choose between 3 or 4 or 5 players of 'equal' value who all play different positions you focus on a position. When your pick comes up you've already made your pick based on position. If Minnesota had taken this approach a couple years ago they wouldn't have gotten hosed into missing their pick.

All we need to do now is determine what position gets picked in each round. Our major needs are: O-tackle, LB (inside and outside depending on scheme), QB, D-line, WR. How should we arrange our first 5 picks?

Teams need stars. Pick the most likely to be a difference maker at that spot.

Agreed.

You have to look @ the talent available where you're picking and get the most "bang for your buck", so to speak. The worst thing to do is to go into the draft looking to just draft a position, regardless of the talent available @ the time of the pick.

Yes. But the Bills already had Kelly and Wolford.

True that. But how did the team play without Biscuit in the lineup, even with 12 & 68?

If McClain truly is what is hyped - cerebral on field general that can disrupt offenses, you grab him without thinking at #9.

If we rewind the clock with benefit of 20/20 hindsight to 2007, if Bills had the #9 slot, should they have gone for Willis or the best available QB or T at that slot?

I don't think McClain is worth passing on a top left tackle. I just wasn't THAT impressed watching him last night. And for a linebacker to be picked in the top 10 he needs to be RIDICULOUS.

being a field general on defense is great, but it doesn't warrant such a high pick unless it's backed by crazy athleticism. Willis ran a sub 4.4 40 and played like he was that fast at Ole Miss. I didn't see close to that kind of speed from McClain.

I don't think McClain is worth passing on a top left tackle. I just wasn't THAT impressed watching him last night. And for a linebacker to be picked in the top 10 he needs to be RIDICULOUS.

being a field general on defense is great, but it doesn't warrant such a high pick unless it's backed by crazy athleticism. Willis ran a sub 4.4 40 and played like he was that fast at Ole Miss. I didn't see close to that kind of speed from McClain.

I agree. He doesn't look like he says great upper body strength. He also didn't look very explosive. I didn't see him shed blocks very well. He's good no doubt, but last night left me wondering if he doesn't benefit greatly from the Alabama Defensive Lineman giving him free lanes to the ball.