Bills QB situation

bfw1234

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any reason to consider Brohm as the answer. If GB thought he had potential they would have kept him. Sure the kid gets a shot, but don't expect too much. As of now he is number 3 behind two guys who at best would be number 2 (fitz) or number 3 (te) on any other team. Brohm and Hamdan couldn't beat either one of them out.

Since the next head coach should get a free ride, just like JJ's 1st year in Dallas, let's go for the gold. Draft a LT at #9, let Brohm start all 16 games next year & then draft the next QB with the 1st pick in the draft. Starting Brohm=1-15 next year.

IMO, the QB situation is easy. Bring in a veteran FA caretaker type. Who that is depends upon the market. Then you have Brohm and/or a draft pick to develop for a year, possibly 2. It'll be up to the new HC as to whether or not Brohm is the guy to develop or not.

Trent and Fitzy, however, are not the answer. We all know that.

This is pretty much exactly what Miami did with Chadwick and Henne. And, IMO, its a solid approach. Of course, it all hinges on finding a good, promising guy to develop AND being able to develop him properly. The veteran FA should be good enough to get you wins, keep you competitive and lead a team of young players. That's why I'd look at guys that have lead their team for a while, so a Bulger over a Jason Campbell for example.

So we have to wait around watching awful QBs for 2 more years before we can get a decent one? Count me out.

So you would rather draft a qb that will get killed behind an offensive line or would you rather build from the outside in dominate the offensive and defensive lines.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a new QB without fixing a bigger issue it will be hard for a new QB to succeed.

I like the get a FA veteran who has played a won something who cal also school a new guy approach. I don't follow college football so I know nothing of what he did in College. Plus that's not always a good indicator. Ryan Leaf Rick Mirer were great in college. I watched the game he started and to be honest, didn't see anything that made think for sure either way. He reminded me a lot of Trent. But it was his first game with a bad line etc.

But, being desperate for QB and going with the first guy that doesn't wet his pants and anointing him the next Jim Kelly is what got us where we are with Trent. Bring in Chad or Damon Huard or Todd Collins or Duante Culpepper or somebody. Give Brohm more pine time to learn.

I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs while they "learn".

So you would rather draft a qb that will get killed behind an offensive line or would you rather build from the outside in dominate the offensive and defensive lines.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a new QB without fixing a bigger issue it will be hard for a new QB to succeed.

Ideally, I'd like to draft Clausen at #9, then make LT the new top priority. But I doubt Clausen (or Bradford) will be available. In any case, we need to both find a real QB and improve the o-line. Keep in mind that there are no good free agent QBs, and even the rookies that pan out usually take time to develop. I don't think it's a winning strategy to first get everything around the QB in shape, then start looking for a QB to plug in. Good QBs are really hard to find. QBs drafted in the first 2 rounds bust about two-thirds of the time. QBs drafted later bust about 95% of the time. Those numbers aren't likely to be any different by the time our line is in good shape, which is why it's so important to worry about QB now. The odds are that it'll take several tries to find a franchise QB. That needs to be priority #1.

[The Future Qb Is Already On The Bills Roster. Who Is It? Brian Brohm

Nope, It's either Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clasuen or a drafted QB

I mentioned in another post that The guy who is an underdog, and a solid QB is Dan LeFevour. You could get him in a leter round, if you went with another position first.

There will be half a dozen experienced starting QBs available in FA. Get the best one available (Vick IMO). Give Brohm another year to learn. Draft a DT, LB and OT in first three rounds, best available player in any order.

There will be half a dozen experienced starting QBs available in FA. Get the best one available (Vick IMO). Give Brohm another year to learn. Draft a DT, LB and OT in first three rounds, best available player in any order.

How the hell is Brohm going to learn from a guy that escapes the pocket every chance he gets. No way we get Vick to teach a young QB. To sell tickets yes. He would be another marketing ploy, but He is no way a teacher to young QB's He might be able to show him a couple pet tricks, but thats it.

I don't spend much time calling out style errors.

I guess that acquits you of all condescension then, congratulations.

When the original article, which was not written by the OP, is so poorly written that it's near unintelligible, I make a comment. A comment that wasn't directed at the OP, but rather at the person that wrote the article. This was easily discernable in my post. The comment that I made was followed up with an opinion. If you disagree, go right ahead and give a reason. Otherwise, it looks like you're just here to argue with me, since you made no other comment in this thread.

So while you may not spend much time calling out style errors, it also appears as though you don't spend much time discussing the thread topic. Whether you agree with my tone or not, at least I contributed something to the discussion.

So far, your contribution to this thread has been to call me condescending.

And while we're on the subject, which of the following posts would you consider to NOT be condescending?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1697197

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1695818

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1692778

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1695434

Just some stuff from page 1 of your recent post history.

I believe the appropriate phrase here is "the pot calling the kettle black".

The Packers have developed a ton of QB's in the past behind their starter. They thought so much of Brohm that they spent a 2nd round pick. He lasted 1 year with the Pack and they essentially let him go for nothing. That is all you need to know right there.

Except for the whole matching the Bills offer to him and cutting a guy to make room for him on their roster. So yea obviously they could have cared less about him.

I'm willing to keep Fitz as a #2 or a #1 while we groom someone, and maybe that's Brohm. He's not nearly ready to start.

I agree with you 100%; the team has obvious holes at OL and LB, and will need a WR if Owens leaves. Use the draft for those spots, and keep in mind that the team basically went 5-4 with Fitz. He might not be Jim Kelly, but he really isn't that bad. If Brohm beats him out, well, good for him. He does need to earn it, though. No gifts.

I'm also watching the GMAC bowl tonight closely; Joe DeLamellieure raved about LeFevour in the recent Sporting News; compared him to Big Ben.

Damn! My eyes and brain hurt from trying to read that garbage. If this kid were in Miss Shields class and she graded on the curve, Ralphie would have gotten an A+++++++++ on his Christmas theme..

Is he trying to say Brohm is the answer at QB?

I think we have more pressing needs than QB and I'd prefer to see us draft OT, DL an LB's. It's conceivable our OL will improve vastly next year just from within, and we're pretty set at RB & WR. Brohm does possess a helluva gun and a better college pedigree than anyone we've drafted/signed this century, including Bledsoe.

So much hangs on who comes in as coach and what direction he wants to go, IMO.

Since the next head coach should get a free ride, just like JJ's 1st year in Dallas, let's go for the gold. Draft a LT at #9, let Brohm start all 16 games next year & then draft the next QB with the 1st pick in the draft. Starting Brohm=1-15 next year.

The only problem with your theory is that Aikman's first year in Dallas was also Jimmy Johnson's first year in Dallas-1989. Aikman was the first pick that JJ made with the Cowboys.

I don't know where this comes from, but whoever wrote this is a moron. He can't even form a complete sentance, let alone utilize punctuation or proper grammar. In addition to that, he's pretty much just ranting like an 8-year-old. He really makes zero argument for Brohm other than to state that he was on Green Bay's practice squad and has a good arm. Awesome. J.P. Losman was a 1st round pick and had a great arm, that didn't make him a good QB. Brohm did absolutely nothing in his one start to distinguish himself as anything more than a #3 QB next season.

Additionally, a team like Buffalo cannot expect to fill all of their needs in one draft, so it's probably wise to try to fill the most important positions on the team: QB and LT. I don't care if the team has to draft 4 of each, get a quality QB and a quality LT, and go from there.

I disagree with your bolded text. Any time you throw a young QB into the fire, without having had the chance to learn the offense, and without pass protection of any kind,

. The two differences are that Brohm received worse pass protection than did the rookie Manning, and Brohm had less time to learn the offense than the rookie Manning had.

Rather than getting too caught up in Brohm's one game performance as a Bill, or even his time in Green Bay, I'd tend to focus more on his college career. If there's a chance to draft a significantly better college QB than Brohm had been, then by all means the Bills should take advantage of that opportunity. In particular, I've heard a rumor that Brohm's college offense only required him to make one read, and to dump the ball off if that read was covered. If there's an available QB who proved more than Brohm did in college (either by making more reads, or in some other way), the Bills should take him. But if there isn't a guy like that out there, the Bills should go in a different direction with their early draft picks. There'd be no shame in using the 9th overall pick on a LT, then trading back into the first round for a big DT.

Under that plan, the Bills would fill two needs at critical positions. They'd start Brohm for 16 games. If he's as bad as some people think, the Bills could easily end up with an early pick in the 2011 draft. That pick could be used on a QB, who might turn out to be a better player than any of the QBs available for the Bills in 2010. If, however, Brohm succeeds, then the Bills could use that pick on some other position. The main pitfall is if Brohm plays somewhere between these two extremes. What we don't want is the next J.P. Losman: a guy who shows just enough flashes to keep getting fed opportunities and chances, but who never does enough to prove he's the answer. A guy like that can be a coach and GM killer, as Losman was.

Guest dog14787
Bring in a Bulger or a Delhomme (Dude is sooooo cut after how well Moore performed) to act as a caretaker and to mentor Brohm (or any draft pick QB the Bills take).

No brainer.

There's allot to consider, after all we are in a rebuilding mode next season.( I'm not saying its impossible to accomplish something)

Instead of bringing in a has been wouldn't it be wiser to look to the future and allow a young inspiring QB to grow with the new coaching staff.

We need to concentrate on protecting our QB's in my opinion, especially with a new offense being installed.

Along with trying like hell to draft Tebow.

The kid can play......

First of all in case you didn't notice the game was played in a virtual blizzard. Combine that with the fact the Brohm was playing behind undoubtedly the worst OL in the league, facing a team which was coming after him play after play giving him almost no time to throw, and I'm thinking it wasn't all that bad.

Additionally, bandit, in his last 3 pre-season games with GB he completed passes at a 69% rate, but by then GB already had their minds made up! Check it out...it was a sham. The guy is FAR better than people think.

Preseason game #1:

3 of 10 for 18 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT, 1 Sack

Preseaon game #2:

12 of 19 for 83 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 0 Sack

Preseason game #3:

4 of 5 for 45 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 Sack

Preseason game #4:

20 of 28 for 154 yds., 0 TD, 0 INT, 2 Sack

If I did not know better, but based strictly on these stats, the dude looks like the second coming of Trent Edwards.

No, thanks.