Hook and Ladder

Griff28

Why do so many people say this? It's obviously a HOOK pattern followed by a LATERAL. HOOK and LATERAL.

Probably because most people say "Hook and Ladderal", so they just shorten it to "Hook and Ladder".

It probably has to do with firemen. The hook and ladder are popular symbols used in fire department seals, so people got used to the terminology. The brain tries to quickly interpret what it hears, and sometimes we "hear" what sounds familiar rather than what is actually said.

"For all intensive purposes" is another one that bugs me... rather than (For all intents and purposes).

It probably has to do with firemen. The hook and ladder are popular symbols used in fire department seals, so people got used to the terminology. The brain tries to quickly interpret what it hears, and sometimes we "hear" what sounds familiar rather than what is actually said.

"For all intensive purposes" is another one that bugs me... rather than (For all intents and purposes).

Thanks for clarifying that...I thought it was "in tents and porpoises" Always thought that was wierd.

you know what gets under my skin? People that say shuffle pass instead of shovel pass... :thumbsup:

They tell us that we should run downhill and get to the 2nd level...in space.

I did that several years ago. Walked out drunk, fell down the porch steps. Downhill I went - plenty of space for me to splat onto the concrete. I guess the 2nd level was my moaning...

That was back when I had reasonably pliable bones, and a devil-may-care mental attitude.

Dummy, you don't let the opponents know what you're doing, especially w/ a trick play like that.

If you said, "we're running a hook and lateral", they'd know what to expect. Duh!

But, if you use the code "hook and ladder", nobody knows what they means so they'd be unsuspecting & it just might work.

[/-sarcasm]

how sad is it that you had to indicate 'sarcasm'????? <_<

Dummy, you don't let the opponents know what you're doing, especially w/ a trick play like that.

If you said, "we're running a hook and lateral", they'd know what to expect. Duh!

But, if you use the code "hook and ladder", nobody knows what they means so they'd be unsuspecting & it just might work.

[/-sarcasm]

It's called both "hook & ladder" and "hook & lateral" these days. Using the word "lateral" is technically correct, but since we're all lazy, the word "ladder" came to be part of it - probably for the reason DasNootz suggested.

Don't get me started on "supposably". <_<

It's called both "hook & ladder" and "hook & lateral" these days. Using the word "lateral" is technically correct, but since we're all lazy, the word "ladder" came to be part of it - probably for the reason DasNootz suggested.

supposta is the one that gets me "supposed to" lok two seperate freaking words. Chees and rice all mighty!!!

"Prolly" instead of probably. :doh: