Coaches that fit the Nix profile

cale

Fox has shown no evidence he is leaving.

Gruden is locked into his TV contract and seems to really enjoy that job for now.

Harbaugh has barely been a college HC. Not worth considering.

Herm Edwards I'm assuming was mentioned in jest.

The guys like Haslett, Del Rio, etc----junk.

Cowher would be interesting. Marty would be a good, cheap choice.

It will be Grimm.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way I want Charlie Weiss around here. He absolutely sucked at ND and was the beneficiary of having a first ballot hall of fame QB at NE. I have seen nothing that says he can coach.

If you are looking for experience, obviously Cowher is the #1 choice for a lot of reasons, but I highly doubt we get him. Billick I think would be an interesting hire.

I think we should take a good, long look at Grimm though.

RTB

Most teams these days build around the divisional competition. Weiss would be good

as he knows NE. Also, I toss out his ND career as that is a totally different animal vs.

the NFL.

Gruden is locked into his TV contract and seems to really enjoy that job for now.

Harbaugh has barely been a college HC. Not worth considering.

Herm Edwards I'm assuming was mentioned in jest.

The guys like Haslett, Del Rio, etc----junk.

Cowher would be interesting. Marty would be a good, cheap choice.

It will be Grimm.

Maybe Grimm would be able to fix the O-line problems...

True. BUT..... Fox is a "lame duck". He's locked in for next season and Richardson would prefer he leave, but won't fire him or let him walk to another team without compensation... fat chance of the Bills signing on for that. The only chance Fox has at this point is a buyout, which is possible.

The reality of a coach having a one year contract with no liklihood that he's going to be extended is...

1) his assitants know it and they will look out for themselves and start looking for their next gig.

2) if most of his assitants bolt for greener pasteurs, Fox is stuck with trying to bring on a staff that knows their job is only good for next season. How many ACs want to put themselves in that situation? Not many... maybe an up and comer wannabe, or someone that's been out a while and wants back maybe.

So, Fox is in a sticky situation. Personally, if it were me and I knew there was a good chance of being hired as a HC somewhere else, I'd talk to Richardson and tell him to let me out of the contract so that I can pursue other interests. If he doesn't like that option, then I'd let him know the reality about the assitant coaches... and the results of that is probably going to be an awful season and Richardson's going to have a hard time putting people in the seats.

Following the Shottenheimer coaching tree, I see the following guys:

1. Bill Cowher

2. Herm Edwards

3. Jack Del Rio

4. Jim Haslet

5. Russ Grimm

John Fox is off of the Chuck Noll Tree (like Dungy)

Herm Edwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you still drunk from last night??

One of the worst coaches I have witnessed in my life, his teams some of the least prepared for games that I have ever seen.

NO!!

Yeah, my original post was not so much who I'd like to see here as much as whom I think will end up here. Like it or not, the Nix hire was one for the (Good) Ol' Boys network. Ralph is as old school as it comes. The coach I mentioned would be part of that cabal.

One thing is pretty clear from the Nix hire (and I think I kinda like him) the Bills have no interest in changing the culture at OBD.

C

I am not a huge Weis guy either...but think about something with Brady--they won 10 games without him last year with a QB that couldn't break the starting line-up in college....How many games would the Colts win without Manning...a whole lot less than 10. Its more system in NE than it is Brady. He is great and I wish we had him--but Charlie designed the system. Quinn was average before Charlie got to SB -- he made Quinn a 1st round draft choice.

You make some good points there about the NE system being designed by Weiss, and Cassel did suck once he left it. I'm a little biased because I think Weiss is an absolute douchebag for stuff outside of football, and I thought he was a horrible head coach at ND. I know a few people who saved that fat asses life after his gastric bypass, he sued them all and lost.

I want a head coach who will instill a sense of pride and toughness in our team. From that perspective, I think Cowher, Billick, and Grimm would make good candidates.

RTB

I am looking for opinions on this. Grimm seems to come up a lot as a candidate. He has never held a coordinators position, he gets passed over every time he interviews. He was a great player with a nasty-hard ass reputation -- but if he is so great why can't he get a head coaching job? Is he the Matt Millen of coaching waiting to happen? What am I missing?

Most teams these days build around the divisional competition. Weiss would be good

as he knows NE. Also, I toss out his ND career as that is a totally different animal vs.

the NFL.

That's a good point. It's always been that way. First goal is winning your division. First question is what do you have to do to win the division? So, what do we have to do to stop the NE Patriots? MUST develop a running game behind a good OLine to keep their O off the field. And then MUST develop a pass defense to counter their offensive strength. That means all those DBs we've been drafting. But our biggest problem is our front seven.

It's like when Polian first took over. He asked himself what he had to do to unseat Miami. That meant stopping Marino. That meant getting Bruce and adding Biscuit. Once we did that, the balance in the AFC East changed forever.

Same holds true today.

GO BILLS!!!

I would love to see Dan Reeves come to Buffalo. He comes on the radio here in Atlanta once a week, and the guy is just fantastic. He wants to get another coaching job. Remember, he was let go in Atlanta because people thought that he was holding Mike Vick back with his "old school" ideas. The reality was the exact opposite. Neither Bobby Patrino nor Jim Mora Jr were able to get as much out of Vick as Reeves was. Listen to him break down plays when he is the color man on national radio broadcasts and then tell me that the game has passed him by. Trust me, the guy can still coach.

Cowher would be the popular #1 choice. But my personal favorite choice is Harbaugh. That dude can coach.

Didn't Harbaugh punch Jim Kelly in the face back in the early to mid 90s?

Jim seems to have some influence so cross him off the list.

I am looking for opinions on this. Grimm seems to come up a lot as a candidate. He has never held a coordinators position, he gets passed over every time he interviews. He was a great player with a nasty-hard ass reputation -- but if he is so great why can't he get a head coaching job? Is he the Matt Millen of coaching waiting to happen? What am I missing?

Matt Millen, after retiring from a very distinguished playing career, went straight to the broadcast booth. He never coached, scouted, or worked in football after his playing days. He was then hired as Detroit GM.

Russ Grimm, after an even more distinguished playing career than Millen (Grimm recently made the cutdown for Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists) immmediately became tight ends coach of the Redskins. He held that position for four years. He was promoted to offensive line coach, a position he held for 3 years. He did a fine job with the Washington offensive line.

Grimm then left the Redskins to join Pittsburgh as their offensive line coach. In 2004 he was given the added title of Assistant Head Coach. In 2005 he won his 4th Super Bowl ring (3 as a player).

Grimm was one of 3 finalists for the Steelers head job when Cowher retired. The Steelers hired Mike Tomlin. The other candidate was Ken Whisenhunt who Grimm followed to Arizona after they were passed over by the Steelers. He's again Offensive Line Coach/Assistant Head Coach.

My top 5 list would be

1. Bill Cowher

2. Russ Grimm

3. Leslie Frazier

4. Kyle Shannahan ( OC with Texans)

5. John Fox

Why in the world Kyle S? There are about 5 coaches before that I would consider. Also I don't understand why Fassel is so despised. Can someone explain how he s&*t the bed so badly?

Thx

Charles