ESPN INSIDER: "Cowher to Bills back on"?

RocBillsfan

Cowher-to-Bills back on?

Bill Cowher | Steelers | Interested: Bills?, Seahawks?, Jaguars?, Texans? Top Email The rumor this week has been that Bill Cowher is leaning heavily towards returning to the NFL sidelines for 2010. The only problem -- as we're beginning to see -- is that there might not be a place for him.

With the Cowboys, Bears and Panthers now out of the picture, we speculated that Cowher was down to the Bucs, Jaguars and Texans. This was predicated on the published reports that Cowher was not interested in the Buffalo Bills.

But what if those reports weren't entirely true? Sal Capaccio of Buffalo Sports Daily has word from a source that Cowher is "impressed and interested" in the Bills' opening. As we know, Cowher wants to have a big say on personnel moves, and the Bills don't have an actual GM as of now. This is intriguing.

Of course, there could be another surprise contender. Here's NFC West blogger Mike Sando, from Monday afternoon:

Mike Sando

Would the Seahawks go for Cowher?

"Firing [head coach Jim] Mora after one season would not be fair. The Seahawks shouldn't make a move unless they can find someone demonstrably better. Bill Cowher comes to mind. He would be better than just about anyone the Seahawks could hope to hire. The early speculation says Carolina and Tampa Bay are the most likely suitors for Cowher if the former Steelers coach returns to the NFL in 2010, as expected. But if the Seahawks could land Holmgren a decade ago -- and the feeling around team headquarters was surreal when it happened -- why not Cowher?".

Only time will tell, but this will make us Bills fans hopeful..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, really really really......... hope this is true.

The irony is i grew up learning to hate this guy, i think it was because of the whole Pittsburgh thing. But now we have a chance to get him and i am all for it!! :rolleyes:

lets hope.. just the mere fact its out there, seems to have legs, i say hire him , then ask him who he wants as gm.. desperate sounding.. YES..

lets hope.. just the mere fact its out there, seems to have legs, i say hire him , then ask him who he wants as gm.. desperate sounding.. YES..

Personally I hope he can at least be a football czar like the browns now have, as the director of football operations, then hire a g.m. ala jeff ireland of the Miami Dolphins. If Bill decides to keep those schmucks John Guy, and Tom Modrak, thats fine they would have to answer to them if not bring in other guys that are established. from there hire a legit HC such as Grimm (OL guru sounds good to fix the Bills OL issues), Brian Schottenheimer or someobdy eles he believes in

I'll believe it when I see it.

This can all be another Russ Brandon marketing ploy to get the fans to believe the Bills are really attempting to build a winner. (ALA The TO Signing last year)

Wouldn't suprise me if Cowher, Shannanon, Etc go else where and reports come out that "The Bills are trying but no top name wants to commit." We go on to hire a coordinator without putting a real GM in place and the pattern of BS continues at OBD.

+1

I gotta say, even the mention of Cowher and the Bills position gives me wood. I mean, if they have a chance to get Cowher, the hell with getting a GM first. You get Cowher first then worry about the org chart later.

I want to agree, but organizational change in how the Bills are managed and by whom (Overdorf) needs to be changed. The scouting staff needs a major retooling and upgrade (bye bye, Modrak). The Pro Personnel department just plain sucks (See ya later, Guy...don't let the door hit ya on the way out).

Cowher was good in Pittsburgh, don't get me wrong, but as others have correctly observed on this blog, it was not until Big Ben got to the Steelers that things really changed. Cowher has had his share of losing seasons.

There are only 2 one shot wonders in the league that have constantly proven themselves as far as I am concerned: Bill Polian and Bill Parcells. Otherwise, to put all of your stock in Cowher- despite our shared desire to see the Bills start to be on the winning side of games- is foolhardy at best.

We need a remade front office.

One question to ponder: if Cowher were to come to Buffalo, and since Cowher worked in Pittsburgh with both Modrak and Guy, does this mean that Modrak and Guy are now safe?

I don't think coaching is the sole reason our draft picks have sucked since 2001 (the year Modrak took over). Player development is more a reflection of the coaching staff. The actual draft picks are more indicative of the information provided by the scouting staff.

But if bringing in Cowher means keeping Modrak and Guy, I'd rather NOT have Cowher.

Maybe sometime only if possibly.......gotta love speculation

Although I believe it's all a pipe dream...Hiring Cowher would immediately change the culture of the team. They would become a tough, hard nosed team that runs the ball and plays great defense.

I heard that Russ was in contact with Tom Landry and he didn't say no either.

A friend of an insiders brothers cousin-in-law told me Russ went to a psychic downtown and apparently Landry is impressed with the Bills organization.

[sorry, all these speculation threads have me a bit giddy]

I want to agree, but organizational change in how the Bills are managed and by whom (Overdorf) needs to be changed. The scouting staff needs a major retooling and upgrade (bye bye, Modrak). The Pro Personnel department just plain sucks (See ya later, Guy...don't let the door hit ya on the way out).

Cowher was good in Pittsburgh, don't get me wrong, but as others have correctly observed on this blog, it was not until Big Ben got to the Steelers that things really changed. Cowher has had his share of losing seasons.

There are only 2 one shot wonders in the league that have constantly proven themselves as far as I am concerned: Bill Polian and Bill Parcells. Otherwise, to put all of your stock in Cowher- despite our shared desire to see the Bills start to be on the winning side of games- is foolhardy at best.

We need a remade front office.

One question to ponder: if Cowher were to come to Buffalo, and since Cowher worked in Pittsburgh with both Modrak and Guy, does this mean that Modrak and Guy are now safe?

I don't think coaching is the sole reason our draft picks have sucked since 2001 (the year Modrak took over). Player development is more a reflection of the coaching staff. The actual draft picks are more indicative of the information provided by the scouting staff.

But if bringing in Cowher means keeping Modrak and Guy, I'd rather NOT have Cowher.

I see what your saying...but you draft players that fit the system the coach wants to play. If Cowher, Modrak and Guy were all on the same page this could only mean better things for the future. Even before Ben came along in Pittsburgh Cowher was a great coach, who consistently brought his team deep into the playoffs (and to one super bowl with NEIL O'DONNELL!!!!)...but even a great coach needs a great QB to finish the job (for the most part, T. Dilfer is one exception to the rule).

If you paid Cowher as much money as he wanted, gave him as much control as he wanted, and gave him any player he wanted, he still wouldn't come to Buffalo. His wife basically forced him to leave Pittsburgh to go back to her home and a warmer climate; she's not going to let him go to Buffalo, quite arguably the worst city in the NFL.

Buffalo, quite arguably the worst city in the NFL.

An interesting question ...

1 Atlanta

2 Baltimore

3 Boston

4 Buffalo

5 Charlotte

6 Chicago

7 Cincinatti

8 Cleveland

9 Dallas

10 Denver

11 Detroit

12 Indianapolis

13 Jacksonville

14 Kansas City

15 Miami

16 Green Bay

17 Minneapolis

18 Nashville

19 New Orleans

20 New York

21 New York

22 Oakland

23 Philadelphia

24 Phoenix

25 Pittsburgh

26 St Louis

27 San Diego

28 San Francisco

29 Seattle

30 Tampa

31 Washington

32 Houston

Hmmm. Baltimore, Oakland and Phoenix aren't exactly garden spots, but the weather is better. And then there is Cleveland. Buffalo is right up there though.

how can they be "ONE SHOT WONDERS" when they succeed where ever they go?

or am i misunderstanding?

If you paid Cowher as much money as he wanted, gave him as much control as he wanted, and gave him any player he wanted, he still wouldn't come to Buffalo. His wife basically forced him to leave Pittsburgh to go back to her home and a warmer climate; she's not going to let him go to Buffalo, quite arguably the worst city in the NFL.

JR, this is the first I had heard that Cowher's wife forced him to quit in Pittsburgh and move to a warmer climate. Where was this reported? Now you and I know hittin that US-23 corridor up from Ann Arbor to Brighton and Howell, the winter weather can be a biznatch, especially when 96 turns into a parking lot and backs up all the way back to 23. But that being said, we're northerners through and through, we love the harsh winter. It makes us strong! And so too is Bill Cowher! He would never quit in the face of harsh winters... would he?

An interesting question ...

Hmmm. Baltimore, Oakland and Phoenix aren't exactly garden spots, but the weather is better. And then there is Cleveland. Buffalo is right up there though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But based on most people's objective criteria (weather, entertainment, safety, economy, etc.), Buffalo's got to rank pretty low. I actually think Cleveland has Buffalo beat by quite a bit. Now, Detroit, on the other hand... :rolleyes: