Tim Graham just reported the Bills Coaching Search is on Hold

Amstel

So, Tim Graham "reports" that another pseudo-journalist reports that nothing will happen any time soon. Is this real journalism? Weathermen have more journalistic credibility than these guys. They hop around internet sites like we do and then they "report" what they find as if it were real news. I'd bet that Tim has Skooby on his speed dial as a "person close to the Bills organization"

What a joke.

this is true

but pointing out the obvious will not be treated kindly

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:censored:

Oh sure, because it's a well known and historical fact that professional football players (who's careers have the shelf life of a flea) are firm enough in their stance to take a full year off!

Take it up with Adam Schefter. He's an NFL insider. You are not.

Prediction: Wilson will milk the "no football in 2011" excuse for all its worth, and again lament how the "small market" situation in Buffalo prevents him from being able to afford/attract the top tier GM/HC options. Same ****, different decade.

You are right. Ralph is going to not pay if he doesn't have to, cheap is as cheap does.

Take it up with Adam Schefter. He's an NFL insider. You are not.

I kind of agree that there will be no stoppage but I don't doubt right now there is the appearance that one is inevitable. I just think there is too much to lose that one side will eventually blink.

I kind of agree that there will be no stoppage but I don't doubt right now there is the appearance that one is inevitable. I just think there is too much to lose that one side will eventually blink.

If you mean the players, then yeah. There is no way the owners give in an inch. I would not be surprised to see "replacement" players & the season play out.

That wouldn't do any good as Fox or any other coaches whom are fired at year end 2010 would quickly be replaced by Feb 1 2011. At that point, all plans are towards having a 2011 season. As it gets closer, it may get less likely. In the end my guess is there would be a season, but no team is going to not have a coach for the off-season just in case. Paying a coach $10 mil is pocket change compared to what they'd save in salaries.

Seems I even recall hearing that the TV contract is such that they owners would be paid whether there are games or not??

I was listening to Adam Schefter on ESPN radio this morning and heard him say that he doesn't expect there to be football in 2011. I couldn't listen to the whole thing, but paying a new coaching staff for a year and then paying them for a year not to work doesn't sound like anyone's desire. I guess that's why the Panthers are willing to let Fox stick around for next year.

It's nice to hear this stuff but I always wonder why does it even get into the media. If I was the GM, I'd never let the media know a thing. I don't know how in the world making your intentions known helps anything. But I like idea of a new GM hiring the coach. Of course, TD was a "football guy" and we know how that turned out.

so what went on during the last 6 weeks . Frustrating ...................

Nothing but what did you expect. The coordinators aren't going to leave their current teams. Any assistant GM's that could be hired won't interview until the season is over. That leaves a precious few unemplyed names for GM and HC. I wanted Gruden but he took himself out of the running. Holmgren was a terrible GM/HC. Don't know if he will be ok as a GM alone but really don't think he will do all that well in Cleveland. Bruce Allen is a quality hire by Dan Snyder. Wow how often is that said. Shanahan's record as a GM is not that great either unless you count signing the entire underachieving Cleveland defensive line as a good decision.

Maybe they get Ernie Acorsi or Ron Wolfe but it is more likely we get a Scott Pioli or Dmitrov type, an assistant GM ready to run his own show. Hopefully that happens 1-3 days after the season and a new HC 1-2 weeks later.

No they can't. You cannot talk to anyone employed by another NFL team, unless you are given permission by that team.

Of course, if a guy is on another team under contract, you have to ask permission. But it doesn't preclude you from asking to talk to them. What team would stand in the way of one of their guys getting a better opportunity? You'd have to ask permission to talk to them even *after* the season. So why wait? Why not get a head start?

Sure, they could say "No" but that doesn't mean you don't try and just sit on your hands.

C

:rolleyes:

Oh sure, because it's a well known and historical fact that professional football players (who's careers have the shelf life of a flea) are firm enough in their stance to take a full year off!

Exactly. Same with hockey players, who ... oh, wait.

Anything is possible.

:rolleyes:

Exactly. Same with hockey players, who ... oh, wait.

Anything is possible.

Of course, if a guy is on another team under contract, you have to ask permission. But it doesn't preclude you from asking to talk to them. What team would stand in the way of one of their guys getting a better opportunity? You'd have to ask permission to talk to them even *after* the season. So why wait? Why not get a head start?

Sure, they could say "No" but that doesn't mean you don't try and just sit on your hands.

C

There's a long, rich history of teams denying permission during the season. They feel, legitimately, that there will be lots of time after the season for guys to interview, and that during the season, there is work for these guys to be doing, and that they don't want them to be thinking about anything but their jobs during the season.

Also, even if they grant permission, lots of people find out about it during that process, and it almost always becomes public, which causes problems with other guys who say "Why aren't they talking to me?" This causes as many problems as it solves.

What they can do instead is make up a list of, say 100 interesting guys for the job, do research, cut down the list, do more research, cut down the list again, contact guys who know those guys quietly and ask about them, cut down the list again, talk to the ones still on the list who are not employed by NFL teams, cut down the list again, and when they arrive at a final list of 10 - 20 guys, settle in for intensive research on those guys, their proclivities and their situations.

You also put a list together of what you want in a GM, what characteristics you think would work well here in Buffalo. Then you compare the guys on your list with these characteristics and this allows you to eliminate a few more, maybe and helps you to decide which guys go to the head of your list and which guys go to the end.

Then, you gradually put together a list, in order, of the guys you want. You continue research, you analyze the data you've got already, exhaustively, and when it comes time to be able to move, about 12 days from now, you're ready and nobody knows what you are going to do.

That's most likely what they have been doing. One advantage is that you're more likely to have an outside-of-the-box candidate or two. You also have great depth of knowledge about the guys you want and why you want them and when each guy will be available and how long you are willing to wait to talk to the guys on playoff teams as guys on your list (maybe) find other work. It's a long, exhaustive process, done right.

this is true

but pointing out the obvious will not be treated kindly

And this goes to maddog69 as well

lol being a journalism major let me enlighten a few of you...they have deadlines the same as everyone else, they have to have a story written about something, and sometimes they are not given a choice about the subject matter or a very limited one. If there is no news I guess there isn't much you can do now is there, and I'm sure Mr. Graham has more informed contacts than anyone on here. Two things you can do when something like this comes out, either read it and take it for what it is worth, or make an off hand comment about it and insult someone like Mr. Graham and act like you can do his job better than he can...I don't see him telling you how to do your job (if you are even employed in these hard times) so why dont you lighten up.

the bills monitor forum sites like these every day. it is the very best way for them to know what their customer base is thinking and what it will take to satisfy them. they "leak" stories to various media types whenever it suits their purpose.

Yeah, definitely. And my company posts guys with long-range binoculars and listening devices near the coffee lady who works outside the building because she knows what's going on.

We aren't important, don't kid yourself. The Bills know what's going on with their fans, it's public knowledge, it's in the newspapers and on the radio shows.