Bills compiling new list of coaching candidates

Tortured Soul

It might be that they have not formally started the process of finding a new HC yet because they first want to do 2 things:

1.) Talk to Bill Cowher after the season to see if he is a fit. He is the only coach out there who would command the type of front office control that would require hiring him first and a GM second.

2.) They have not yet hired their GM. Most of the potential candidates are already employed by other teams and cannot interview/express interest until the season ends.

You can continue to run around like Chicken little if you like. I am going to wait and see how things play out before assuming the sku is falling.

It does say that the process is still parked in the garage, which should make one ask why there was any need to fire Dick Jauron in the middle of the season.

you forget that Dick was not fired.

Dick chose to resign after he was told he would be fired after the season.

Ralph will try to Dick him out of his unpaid future year's salary because he "quit"

If Brandon is still in charge of this team (whether in title or not) the Bills will never get a GM or HC.

Working for Ralph Wilson is bad enough. Having someone like Brandon telling you what to do is just not worth it.

Sure, coaches/GMs want the chance to shine (and make some $$$). But, if you look at the past decade, working in one of those capacities has pretty much been a death wish career wise. Sure, you might get another chance to shine in your prior position (OC/DC). But, for the most part, Buffalo has been a career graveyard for the past decade.

Every big decision still goes through RW, and I'm sure people around the league know this. Granted very little is getting out, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them try to hire a HC like Fassel and not change the front office much. I'm sure they figure enough fans would be just happy to not have DJ or PF coaching this team. Problem is, this entire waste of a decade occurred because they made horrible personnel moves, and compounded that with either a bad GM or no GM.

The fact that Brandon is leading the search tells me that they're hoping to get lucky, because Mr. Smithers has no idea what he's doing. And if I were asked to interview for GM, I would place considerations down first. As in:

1. Total control over all football operations

2. Report only to the owner and no one else

3. Approval to hire my own people without interference-HC, Pro Personnel, College Scouting, et al.

It does say that the process is still parked in the garage, which should make one ask why there was any need to fire Dick Jauron in the middle of the season.

Firing Dick essentially gave the front office a 2 month vacation from the torches and pitchforks of fans and media. That's about it. This is a totally believable story, because that's just how poorly run the Bills are. We don't need another late hiring like GW and Jauron. We need a gm and a coach in place in time to get a shot at the best available assistants, scouts, support staff, etc.. The process of replacing Jauron should have been at least simulated last offseason, when it was clear he hadn't done enough to keep his job, so that they wouldn't just now be researching candidates.

Russ Grimm (Arizona), Ron Rivera (Chargers), Jon Fox (If he leaves Carolina), Mike Zimmer (Cincy), Jason Garrett (Cowboys), and Kyle Shanahan (Houston) these are the guys that should be on the top of the list for Buffalo as far as a head coaching candidates.

No more retreads like Mike Martz and Jim Haslet we need to try and grab an up and coming young guy in order to try and catch lightning in a bottle and forge our own identity.

Up and coming young guys like Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey? :censored:

I will not spend my money on the product as it is now......

but I want to wait and see what the bills actually do. So what if Russ Brandon hires the new GM.....then goes over to the Marketing side where he belongs?

I dont want them to do something fast.....I want them to do something correctly.

only in Bizarro Bills world does a marketing guy with a baseball background lead the search for the top football guy.

sounds like something from the script of Major League

Then you better figure out where to spend your money. He will hire whatever comess first. If it is the coach. He will dictate the personnel set-up. If it's a GM. He will hire the coach. Either way, Brandon draws first blood. Which still leaves him in the mix.

Brandon never has called the shots.Ralph calls the shots through Russ

Russ Grimm (Arizona), Ron Rivera (Chargers), Jon Fox (If he leaves Carolina), Mike Zimmer (Cincy), Jason Garrett (Cowboys), and Kyle Shanahan (Houston) these are the guys that should be on the top of the list for Buffalo as far as a head coaching candidates.

No more retreads like Mike Martz and Jim Haslet we need to try and grab an up and coming young guy in order to try and catch lightning in a bottle and forge our own identity.

I like Grimm and Fox. Another guy to consider is a former Buffalo Bill who is coaching one of the top QB's in the league- Frank Reich. He worked extensively with Jim Kelly while he was here, helping him with his reads each week- he always put in the hours and pulled off some amazing wins. His grit and hard work helped to lead two of the biggest comebacks in football history. Patience and intelligence like that could help bring along a young team.

I like Grimm and Fox. Another guy to consider is a former Buffalo Bill who is coaching one of the top QB's in the league- Frank Reich. He worked extensively with Jim Kelly while he was here, helping him with his reads each week- he always put in the hours and pulled off some amazing wins. His grit and hard work helped to lead two of the biggest comebacks in football history. Patience and intelligence like that could help bring along a young team.

Hmm....I can buy into how Frank is always prepared and puts in the hours (which one would think would rub off on the players), but do we think he's ready to be a head coach? I can see him coming in as an assistant, but not head coach.

Not yet, at least.

Hmm....I can buy into how Frank is always prepared and puts in the hours (which one would think would rub off on the players), but do we think he's ready to be a head coach? I can see him coming in as an assistant, but not head coach.

Not yet, at least.

One thing I have never bought into is that coordinators, position coaches and head coaches are interchangable. While there are exceptions, position coaches teach techniques, coordinators are responsible for the X's and O's and the head coach plays a leadership role, overseeing everything, planning out practice time and managing games. There is some crossover, but when dealing with large rosters, people have to be specialized. Head coaches do tend to spend more time with what they know as far as the techniques and X's and O's though.

So does no coach want 10 Mil a year, or is Ralph blowing wind up my arse.

On a second note, If the Bills next coach is not Jim Harbaugh I will be disapointed. The level of disapointment willvary depending on the hire.