Are the Bills actually playing to lose?

PromoTheRobot

This is just an idea. The Bills cannot legally play to lose. But what if they keep putting their best players on IR? They lose, get a better pick, save their better players for next season, and they have cover if anyone accuses them of deliberately throwing in the towel. It just strikes me odd that so many players are getting on IR for seemingly non-serious injuries.

PTR

This is just an idea. The Bills cannot legally play to lose. But what if they keep putting their best players on IR? They lose, get a better pick, save their better players for next season, and they have cover if anyone accuses them of deliberately throwing in the towel. It just strikes me odd that so many players are getting on IR for seemingly non-serious injuries.

PTR

It's too ballsy of move for the Bills to be doing it on purpose. Doing this would require some sort of foresight or maybe even strategy? No way. I'm not buying it.

you bring up an interesting subject.......i have a couple of questions...

#1- is there actually a rule that says you can't intentionally lose ?....or is it just frowned upon. ( could you provide a link to the rule).

#2- how do you define playing not to lose. i mean there are so many arguements that can be made to avoid that accusation......resting injured players....going in another direction with a different player......benching a starter who you think is not playing well for a backup.......giving a rookie a chance to prove himself.....there are so many subjective ways of judging putting the best players out there.......etc....

Keep in mind there are only 2 weeks left in the season. Minor injuries would result in IR. Turf toe is IR at this point.

Exactly. These aren't earth shattering developments. The fact is, if you're going to be out for 2 weeks... you're worthless to the Bills this season. If we were going to the playoffs, some of these guys (Simmons, Edwards, Byrd) may still be on the roster.

What's the record for IR's in a season? I was searching the web for a while last night and I can't find any source that actually has it recorded, not even profootballreference.com

With officially 18 players now in IR, according to wgr550.com, this has to be at least CLOSE to the record for one team in a season. It's really incredible. There has to be some reason, some outlier that leads to serious injury with this team, irrespective of Jauron's conditioning program.

Owen Daniels blew out his knee at the Ralph. Other major non Bills have gotten seriously injured as well, could it be simply the field itself? I realize that sounds crazy, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

Keep in mind there are only 2 weeks left in the season. Minor injuries would result in IR. Turf toe is IR at this point.

There was a bunch of players around the league that went on IR a couple of weeks ago. It's common. Occasionally, some are players that a team was carrying in hope they could come back, but no dice.

Also, there might be a $ savings to a team - dunno.

I can't say I haven't noticed they're putting guys on IR left and right as if they're throwing in the towel. I mean Byrd has a shot at the pro bowl and the Int Title and they put him on IR? If he's really hurt or in danger of causing permanent injury its one thing but he didn't appeared to be that injured.....

What's the record for IR's in a season? I was searching the web for a while last night and I can't find any source that actually has it recorded, not even profootballreference.com

With officially 18 players now in IR, according to wgr550.com, this has to be at least CLOSE to the record for one team in a season. It's really incredible. There has to be some reason, some outlier that leads to serious injury with this team, irrespective of Jauron's conditioning program.

Owen Daniels blew out his knee at the Ralph. Other major non Bills have gotten seriously injured as well, could it be simply the field itself? I realize that sounds crazy, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

The record was (previously) 17 in 2007. Eighteen is indeed a new Bills record.

LINK: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4275259

The record was (previously) 17 in 2007. Eighteen is indeed a new Bills record.

LINK: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4275259

Here's CBS's site (needs updating):

BUF leads, with TB and DET in close pursuit. Some of course, left early on and weren't likely to be in a team's plans anyway - such as BUF's P.K. Sam.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/pup

PTR

Oh, I don't think it's so much playing "not to lose" so much as it's a case of playing "not to win."

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills needs star players so what's the point of playing people if they are hurt. I'm sure if they were in the playoff hunt there would be fewer people on injured reserve. However, if there were fewer people on the injured reserve, they would probably be in the playoff hunt.

Outside of a new coach, the Bills have to find a way to stay healthy. I would say it is luck, except they have more significantly more injuries than other teams every year. Where are you Rusty Jones?

p.s. I think someone once posted that all training staffs are created equal and losing Rusty Jones is not a big deal.

i think the list of leading teams answers any questions.... bad teams dont have to hurry players back, or hold them for the playoffs. in september it takes a catastrophic injury, or a roster depleting run of small injuries to have people IR'ed. come december a sprained ankle is an IR injury for a bad team. the lions, bucs, and yes bills are all out of the playoffs so they can put people on the shelf, and bring in fresh blood. if anything this is good for the team to do if someone isnt 100% at this point. they get to evaluate new talent. granted, it is no fun to admit the team is bad, but you never know when the guy you bring in will be an upgrade to next years roster.

if byrd cant play this week, and is questionable at best for the week after, why not put him away, make sure he gets 100% healthy instead of risking aggravating an injury, and get some fresh blood in the building to look at.