Looks Like Brohm is starting This Week

zevo

What will you require for it to be a good game? Anyone? Is it a close win, a large win, a loss with good #s? Lets get this out of the bag now.

I just want him to show some flashes of potential win or lose. Do something rather check down. Show some mental toughness and some skill that would indicate he can play in the NFL.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want him to show some flashes of potential win or lose. Do something rather check down. Show some mental toughness and some skill that would indicate he can play in the NFL.

100% agree with this. Lets see a couple deep outs and a nice 20 yard pass over the middle to Nelson. Some quick decisions and a lack of fear under pressure. Wishful thinking maybe, but if he plays I'll certainly be more interested to watch.

I don't understand the desire for fans to rush Brohm out behind this offensive line. Does everone want to see how tough he is? The big difference in Sunday's game was the OL. Brady seemed liked he had 5 to 8 seconds to pick out any receiver he wanted, he looked like Kenny Stabler back there surveying the field. He had time to let Moss run 50 yards downfield before he delivered the ball. Fitz would take a 5 step drop, once he planted to throw he was swarmed under more often than not, that is if he could plant his foot I should say. The only guy that can play behind this line is a running QB. Why subject Brohm to this garbage with two game to go?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!

So really, what does he have to do to be qualified a success? We all loved fitzy because he won a game or two, but otherwise gobbled the root. I for one would love to see 300 yards passing. In one game.

That's a good topic actually: what qualifies as a success at this point?

Well, the o-line sucks, so really you can't expect a 300 yard game (Not that you are, you're just saying that would be nice, I agree). I don't qualify his stats necessarily as a success because of the o-line. I'll watch to see if he's looking to make the right play vs. the smart play (getting it down field vs. checking down). I'll look to see if he tries to make the throws and trusts his receivers instead of being nervous about throwing picks, and in the process how accurate he is. I'll look to see if he has good arm strength and if he can stand in the pocket... and when the line collapses after 3 seconds if he can occasionally make an impossible throw to make something happen... apparently he can do this BTW.

Rookies screw up though, so I expect picks and sacks and bad decisions... so most of all I qualify success by how he acts as the leader of the football team on Sunday. Does he show emotion? Does he get in his o-line's face when they repeatedly fail to block and fail to know the snap count? Does he talk to his receivers after every series to work on chemistry? If it's a stupid play does he audible out of it? I need a QB now that doesn't HAVE TO listen to the coaching staff and goes by his winning instinct. AVP and every other OC and Head coach for that matter that we've had for the past decade or even more has over thought this game time and time again. I need a QB that will simplify it, and be smarted than the coaches seeing he's out there and they are not.

I've said it before: this franchise has ruined every QB it has touched beginning with Rob Johnson and ending with Trent Edwards because of this supposed system they are restricted to. When is the last time the Bills really trusted a QB with the offense? Drew Bledsoe... and that was the last winning season the Bills had. Enough with easing them into the system, insisting on them being someone they are not, and going through their reads to make the "smart play." Work with the plays he knows, call plays that cater to his strengths, and most of all let the guy loose and stop being afraid to fail. What's the worst that can happen? He throws 5 picks and we lose. So what? I rather see 5 picks thrown trying to get the ball to Lee Evans (remember him?) than to go through "your progressions" and check it down to Fred Jackson who simply can't break 5 tackles.

And if he does throw 5 picks, but they were all in an effort to do the right thing, then at least we know he has the balls to be a QB, which is more than anything we have now.

One of the adages around the league is a QB can make an O-line look good! Wouldn't that be special? Aaron Rodgers does this in Green Bay and coincidentally, he was there for a cup of coffee before his long and illustrious career in Buffalo. I'd like to see poise in the pocket, NO happy feet, strong throws, accurate throws, and a dose of his NEW teammates striving to make his debut a success!! The players on this team better realize that it is evaluation time in Buffalo, so supposedly, they're all playing for a paycheck. Maybe, just maybe, the team rallies around the new leader sooner than later! Hope springs eternal!!!!!

You guys realize that judging things like how accurate he is, quick decisions, and such are incredibly unfair this weekend?

Look at all these variables against him:

1. WR Timing...wont have any with our starters

2. Routes...barely is learning the playbook

3. Terrible O Line...a first time starter is going to have to make reads as fast, if not faster than a Vet

4. Terrible and predictable offense to begin with

5. No NFL speed experience

Seriously, if he goes out and looks eratic or inaccurate how is anyone going to be able to sit back and say the kid isnt any good. If he has a good game, it will actually say a lot about his potential given the odds against him. However, if he has a bad game, what on earth will that tell us with these huge, and I mean huge, obstacles in front of him?

You guys realize that judging things like how accurate he is, quick decisions, and such are incredibly unfair this weekend?

Making ANY judgment, good or bad, about BB will be incredibly unfair this weekend. But that never stopped anybody before.

Just wait. By the time these next two games are over, there will be people declaring "BB's a bust" and "BB's the franchise".

Look at all these variables against him:

1. WR Timing...wont have any with our starters

2. Routes...barely is learning the playbook

3. Terrible O Line...a first time starter is going to have to make reads as fast, if not faster than a Vet

4. Terrible and predictable offense to begin with

5. No NFL speed experience

Seriously, if he goes out and looks eratic or inaccurate how is anyone going to be able to sit back and say the kid isnt any good. If he has a good game, it will actually say a lot about his potential given the odds against him. However, if he has a bad game, what on earth will that tell us with these huge, and I mean huge, obstacles in front of him?

Prime example of what I was referring to:

The kid has not taken a snap in live play, and you already are trying to down play any potential poor pay, and over hype any potential good play.

Edited by Cynical

Making ANY judgment, good or bad, about BB will be incredibly unfair this weekend. But that never stopped anybody before.

Just wait. By the time these next two games are over, there will be people declaring "BB's a bust" and "BB's the franchise".

Prime example of what I was referring to:

The kid has not taken a snap in live play, and you already are trying to down play any potential poor pay, and over hype any potential good play.

No, not over hyping success, but you have to admit, if the kid with the deck completely stacked against him goes out and has a good game then that would be a good sign that we may have something here and need to take a real look at him this offseason.

If he blows, then it really does tell us nothing as the deck is so stacked against him that its going to be amazing if he doesnt struggle.

So take it how you want, its just the facts of the situation. Its not excusing bad play and overhyping good play...its called reality of what he is facing. If he can succeed despite this much adversity, then thats encouraging. If he struggles, it certainly doesnt mean we should write him off as a bust and abandon him. Either way, this kid should get a serious look this offseason before we waste a high pick on a QB and pay them a fortune that will cripple this franchise if that QB doesnt pan out.

No, not over hyping success, but you have to admit, if the kid with the deck completely stacked against him goes out and has a good game then that would be a good sign that we may have something here and need to take a real look at him this offseason.

The only thing I will admit is BB is getting thrown into a effed up situation. His performance(s), regardless of how good or bad it is/they are, need to be ignored.

If he blows, then it really does tell us nothing as the deck is so stacked against him that its going to be amazing if he doesnt struggle.

So take it how you want, its just the facts of the situation. Its not excusing bad play and overhyping good play...its called reality of what he is facing. If he can succeed despite this much adversity, then thats encouraging. If he struggles, it certainly doesnt mean we should write him off as a bust and abandon him. Either way, this kid should get a serious look this offseason before we waste a high pick on a QB and pay them a fortune that will cripple this franchise if that QB doesnt pan out.

I think the kid needs to be properly evaluated during the off season regardless of his performance, but his performance should in no way impact decisions regarding this teams personnel needs during the off season.

This team needs a QB.

And while you worry about "wasting a high draft pick" that doesn't pan out, I worry about this team thinking this project player is their QB of the future all because he looked "good enough" in one or two BS games.

The only thing I will admit is BB is getting thrown into a effed up situation. His performance(s), regardless of how good or bad it is/they are, need to be ignored.

I think the kid needs to be properly evaluated during the off season regardless of his performance, but his performance should in no way impact decisions regarding this teams personnel needs during the off season.

This team needs a QB.

And while you worry about "wasting a high draft pick" that doesn't pan out, I worry about this team thinking this project player is their QB of the future all because he looked "good enough" in one or two BS games.

See: Johnson, Rob or Edwards, Trent...

This team needs a QB.

This is a confusing post for me...in one sentence you acknowledge he is being thrown into an effed up situation then you later say we should disregard any success he has in such a terrible situation...

Seriously, if this kid who has never played a down, is a second year player, with the table stacked against him has success, how can you say we need to ignore that?

Forget BB for a second...say we had a second round pick QB we drafted, in his second year in the league come in and win his first 2 games with 2 solid games. What would you be saying then? Would you be calling for us to grab a very expensive first round QB even though our OL is terrible? Seriously think about that...I guarantee you that hardly anyone, including you, would be saying that.

Yet, you, like many others, are 100% prejudice to this kid because we signed him off a PS, so any success he has you will take as fools gold. I mean we are not talking about an unsigned FA, BB was a highly touted QB coming out of college just 1-1/2 years ago and has not had the chance to show if he can play in this league yet.

I am by no means saying this kid is for sure the next great QB, all I am saying is he has as much upside as any QB in the draft and we would be stupid to not give him a chance to develop.

This is a confusing post for me...in one sentence you acknowledge he is being thrown into an effed up situation then you later say we should disregard any success he has in such a terrible situation...

Nothing confusing about it. See below.

Seriously, if this kid who has never played a down, is a second year player, with the table stacked against him has success, how can you say we need to ignore that?

Ever hear of a fluke?

Atlanta D sucks and nobody has game film on this kid. The potential of a "good enough" game sounds very likely.

Forget BB for a second...say we had a second round pick QB we drafted, in his second year in the league come in and win his first 2 games with 2 solid games. What would you be saying then? Would you be calling for us to grab a very expensive first round QB even though our OL is terrible? Seriously think about that...I guarantee you that hardly anyone, including you, would be saying that.

Oh please. Like your scenario is the same situation.

But to placate you:

IF my second year, second round QB who was only good enough to be a third string QB came in and played 2 solid games, I would still be looking for a QB.

But I would probably consider moving the third string QB to second string.

Yet, you, like many others, are 100% prejudice to this kid because we signed him off a PS, so any success he has you will take as fools gold. I mean we are not talking about an unsigned FA, BB was a highly touted QB coming out of college just 1-1/2 years ago and has not had the chance to show if he can play in this league yet.

I'm prejudice and you're biased. You have already set up the scenario as "can't fail". If he has "success", it's because he's good. If he fails, it was due to all the obstacles he had to face.

I could care less how highly touted he was coming out of college. That was 2 years ago. And he was so highly touted he failed to beat out the un-highly touted Matt Flynn.

Twice.

For the second string spot.

And here's Scout.com draft analysis on Brohm:

Productive, experienced system QB within their system. Was an accurate passer in the under zones and showed a relatively quick arm. Distributes the ball well and can manage the game effectively. Adequate thrower on the move. Lacks mobility. Can't move or get away from the rush. Lacks a big arm and was marginal on intermediate or the deep ball. Had problems locating the backside backer on some under throws. Back up playing potential. Fool's gold?

Some of interesting phrases in there.

"Lacks mobility. Can't move or get away from the rush."

"Fool's gold?".

I am by no means saying this kid is for sure the next great QB, all I am saying is he has as much upside as any QB in the draft and we would be stupid to not give him a chance to develop.

I agree we should give him the chance to develop. Right along side another QB. Let the best man win.

Sorry if I refuse to accept a 3rd string QB (or worse) should become the leader of this team based on a couple of BS games, and without fighting for it.

I'm prejudice like that.