Looks Like Brohm is starting This Week

zevo

Nothing confusing about it. See below.

Ever hear of a fluke?

Atlanta D sucks and nobody has game film on this kid. The potential of a "good enough" game sounds very likely.

Oh please. Like your scenario is the same situation.

But to placate you:

IF my second year, second round QB who was only good enough to be a third string QB came in and played 2 solid games, I would still be looking for a QB.

But I would probably consider moving the third string QB to second string.

I'm prejudice and you're biased. You have already set up the scenario as "can't fail". If he has "success", it's because he's good. If he fails, it was due to all the obstacles he had to face.

I could care less how highly touted he was coming out of college. That was 2 years ago. And he was so highly touted he failed to beat out the un-highly touted Matt Flynn.

Twice.

For the second string spot.

And here's Scout.com draft analysis on Brohm:

Some of interesting phrases in there.

"Lacks mobility. Can't move or get away from the rush."

"Fool's gold?".

I agree we should give him the chance to develop. Right along side another QB. Let the best man win.

Sorry if I refuse to accept a 3rd string QB (or worse) should become the leader of this team based on a couple of BS games, and without fighting for it.

I'm prejudice like that.

First off, Merry Christmas! Its good to have a discussion with someone who keeps it to football :thumbsup: I get what you are saying on some things, I just dont think we need to disregard success in these next 2 games.

Second, I am not saying he is definitely our answer, but he still has more promise than any QB we have had since Kelly was here. The fact remains, the table is stacked against him, so even though you say is "likely" to have success becuase Atlantas pass defense is 30th ranked, he really is more likely to have a bad game with the table stacked against him like this. That 30th ranked pass D is still tougher than any D is has ever faced in his life. The NFL game plays so much faster than college, he hasnt played in 2 years, has no time in our system (which is terrible to begin with), we have an O Line that can make any D look elite, and he has no timing with our WR's.

All I was saying is that regardless if he flops this week or is successful, this kid had enough potential coming out of college that he needs to be given a serious chance to compete this offseason. If we bring in a Vet, letting him sit a season behind him as the #2 is even fine, but he needs to get a real good look to be our future QB before we go and invest an crap ton of money in a high first round QB who is more likely to bust than boom, especially in this years crop and with our desperate need at LT.

Oh, and as far as your scouting report, there are many others listing him as the top QB in that draft, including many GM's saying the same thing (some have been posted in other threads here). Tom Brady was the least athletic player in history at the Pro Day, didnt mean squat when he got to the NFL. And no, not comparing him to Brady, just referencing your comment about lack of mobility. Its way way too early to make any judgements on this kid good or bad...but if he finds some success here in the last 2 games he should get every opportunity to compete for the starting gig next year (assuming he is ready).

Again, Merry Christmas and good discussion...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Merry Christmas! Its good to have a discussion with someone who keeps it to football :thumbsup: I get what you are saying on some things, I just dont think we need to disregard success in these next 2 games.

Back at you! Hope you and your loved ones had a good one. :flirt:

Second, I am not saying he is definitely our answer, but he still has more promise than any QB we have had since Kelly was here. The fact remains, the table is stacked against him, so even though you say is "likely" to have success becuase Atlantas pass defense is 30th ranked, he really is more likely to have a bad game with the table stacked against him like this. That 30th ranked pass D is still tougher than any D is has ever faced in his life. The NFL game plays so much faster than college, he hasnt played in 2 years, has no time in our system (which is terrible to begin with), we have an O Line that can make any D look elite, and he has no timing with our WR's.

All I was saying is that regardless if he flops this week or is successful, this kid had enough potential coming out of college that he needs to be given a serious chance to compete this offseason. If we bring in a Vet, letting him sit a season behind him as the #2 is even fine, but he needs to get a real good look to be our future QB before we go and invest an crap ton of money in a high first round QB who is more likely to bust than boom, especially in this years crop and with our desperate need at LT.

The bolded part is something we basically both agree with. Our only difference seems to be you are taking the "yes/no (with more emphasis on yes)" approach, where I am thinking Brohm is more of an extra or bonus.

Oh, and as far as your scouting report, there are many others listing him as the top QB in that draft, including many GM's saying the same thing (some have been posted in other threads here). Tom Brady was the least athletic player in history at the Pro Day, didnt mean squat when he got to the NFL. And no, not comparing him to Brady, just referencing your comment about lack of mobility. Its way way too early to make any judgements on this kid good or bad...but if he finds some success here in the last 2 games he should get every opportunity to compete for the starting gig next year (assuming he is ready).

The scouting report was merely a "tool" to prove a point. And you proved it with Tom Brady.

You keep saying Brohm was highly touted, and would have been drafted in the first round in 2007, and was drafted in the second round in 2008.

In 2008, Mike Flynn was considered nothing but camp fodder by pretty much every scouting analysis I could now find.

So what does that prove now?

Nothing. All those 2007 and 2008 draft and scouting reports are worthless right now. What has value now is what the players did once they hit the NFL.

As "bad" as Tom Brady was coming out of college, he still made back up.

The Green Bay Packers drafted both Flynn and Brohm in the same year. So neither QB had previous NFL experience.

After analyzing both players, the Packers came to this conclusion:

Flynn was better than Brohm, and Brohm was so bad, he was actually cut from the team.

In 2009, the Packers came to same conclusion, and Brohm was once again cut from the team.

That cannot be denied, and it cannot be spun.

In a previous post, you stated (essentially) Brohm was not a FA pick up. Unfortunately, that is what Brohm was (more like a RFA).

Back at you! Hope you and your loved ones had a good one. :wallbash:

The bolded part is something we basically both agree with. Our only difference seems to be you are taking the "yes/no (with more emphasis on yes)" approach, where I am thinking Brohm is more of an extra or bonus.

The scouting report was merely a "tool" to prove a point. And you proved it with Tom Brady.

You keep saying Brohm was highly touted, and would have been drafted in the first round in 2007, and was drafted in the second round in 2008.

In 2008, Mike Flynn was considered nothing but camp fodder by pretty much every scouting analysis I could now find.

So what does that prove now?

Nothing. All those 2007 and 2008 draft and scouting reports are worthless right now. What has value now is what the players did once they hit the NFL.

As "bad" as Tom Brady was coming out of college, he still made back up.

The Green Bay Packers drafted both Flynn and Brohm in the same year. So neither QB had previous NFL experience.

After analyzing both players, the Packers came to this conclusion:

Flynn was better than Brohm, and Brohm was so bad, he was actually cut from the team.

In 2009, the Packers came to same conclusion, and Brohm was once again cut from the team.

That cannot be denied, and it cannot be spun.

In a previous post, you stated (essentially) Brohm was not a FA pick up. Unfortunately, that is what Brohm was (more like a RFA).

Thanks for the Xmas wishes...

I get what you are saying, however, I think there is one thing you are over looking about the PS stuff in GB. Someone has to back up Rodgers, and that person is going to be the guy the most ready to play, especially when your starter is entrenched like Rodgers. You dont carry a #2 guy who is someone still developing, you carry a #2 who can come in and be the most ready.

GB felt Flynn was more ready (remember they were both rookies last year) than Brohm. That doesnt mean they feel Flynn has the brighter future, just means as rookies, they felt Flynn could fill in better if Rodgers went down. A very important piece of info about that is when we signed Brohm GB tried to match and keep him. Clearly they see something in him to try and keep a guy who will never see the field for the next 12 years with Rodgers there.

It should also be noted, that just because Flynn (who was pretty good in college) wasnt a high round pick doesnt mean he cant play. QB's surprise all the time. Look at Warner and Brady for example...came out of no where. Everyone was shocked when NE made Brady the backup to Bledsoe on a team that was supposed to be a contender. By no means does that mean Flynn is going to be as good as those guys, but GB is really high on him and he grasped there system quicker than Brohm did in their first year.

Not to mention, Flynn went through the whole year with the team as the #2, so that is going to help him develop even more than what Brohm had to work with on the PS. So its not really a shock that coming into year two Flynn was more developed than BB. So, I wouldnt write Brohm off just beacuse on a team riddled with holes and injuries at other positions that decided to carry only 2 QB's he got stuck on the PS. They just felt Flynn was more ready to fill in if something happened to Rodgers...