Can we all settle down now?

Dan

So all the concerns and worries that the Bills wouldn't hire a real GM can be set aside. They apparently will begin interviews after Christmas, according to linky. Apparently Ralph isn't as senile as many have insisted and really does intend to overhaul the team.

Let the discussions begin has to who the new GM should be (assuming Shannahan doesn't come).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So all the concerns and worries that the Bills wouldn't hire a real GM can be set aside. They apparently will begin interviews after Christmas, according to linky. Apparently Ralph isn't as senile as many have insisted and really does intend to overhaul the team.

Let the discussions begin has to who the new GM should be (assuming Shannahan doesn't come).

Are you actually buying this? One of the few things most of us seem to agree on is that Russ Brandon doesn't know the fine points about football and is unqualified to be a GM. As I've stated before, if the plan was to hire a real GM and give him the power to do his job well, Ralph Wilson would be doing the interviewing. It's obvious that if Brandon is doing the interviewing, then this is another snow job. He is not qualified to determine who would be a good GM, and he is being asked to hire someone as his own replacement. If someone is hired, they will be a glorified scout, given no real power (other than to make suggestions) and the world of the Bills remains virtually the same.

Yes, Ralph isn't senile. I've never thought he was. He is actually a very smart businessman. He is squeezing out all the profit he can out of his "cash cow," and knows that this does not hurt the selling price of the team, because the real value is owning an NFL franchise. The new owners will change everything anyway.

Excellent piece -- some real "football men" there. Gabriel sounds quite appealing, as does Jimmy Raye, Studwell, and Gettleman. The younger guys sound promising as well.
I agree there are some promising names there, but Gabriel isn't one of them for me, even if he is from Buffalo. I haven't been impressed with the Bears since the 1980's, & would rather see them go somewhere else. I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but especially after Jauron & Fewell.

I agree there are some promising names there, but Gabriel isn't one of them for me, even if he is from Buffalo. I haven't been impressed with the Bears since the 1980's, & would rather see them go somewhere else. I know it's not exactly apples to apples, but especially after Jauron & Fewell.

According to the article, 8 of the 11 starters on the '06 Superbowl team's defense were Gabriel's picks. I don't think you can overlook that. I wouldn't mind Gabriel - looks like this is as good a time as any for him to get his shot at a GM job. Him or Gettleman should get some consideration.

My biggest question, however.....how many times are we going to have to correct the spelling of the new guy's name on this board? :unsure:

According to the article, 8 of the 11 starters on the '06 Superbowl team's defense were Gabriel's picks. I don't think you can overlook that. I wouldn't mind Gabriel - looks like this is as good a time as any for him to get his shot at a GM job. Him or Gettleman should get some consideration.

My biggest question, however.....how many times are we going to have to correct the spelling of the new guy's name on this board? :lol:

Then he may be in favor of keeping the Tampa 2 scheme. :unsure:

And he may be in favor of keeping Fewell. :flirt:

And he may even like the idea of bringing in Lovie Smith after he is fired. :lol:

I still say no, the year they made the SB was the flukiest year in a long, long time... not impressed with the Bears at all.

I don't think I would be interested in any of the "Big Name" options they have listed - including Allen if he were still available.

Big names

Former general managers who are out of the league include Bruce Allen, Floyd Reese and Charley Casserly. Allen, son of Hall of Fame coach George Allen, formerly was personnel chief in Oakland and general manager above Jon Gruden with Tampa Bay. He's on good terms with Brandon. However, Allen does not appear to have the desire to get back in the NFL at this time. Reese, 61, is the former long-time Titans GM. Casserly, 61, formerly was GM in Washington and with the Houston Texans from 2002 to '06.

the two that stand out to me:

Greg Gabriel, Chicago's head of college scouting last 8 years - Chicago has been largely built through the draft this decade

Eric DeCosta, head of Ravens college scouting '03 to '08 and now pro personnel - one of the best organizations when it comes to choosing talent

Are you actually buying this? One of the few things most of us seem to agree on is that Russ Brandon doesn't know the fine points about football and is unqualified to be a GM. As I've stated before, if the plan was to hire a real GM and give him the power to do his job well, Ralph Wilson would be doing the interviewing. It's obvious that if Brandon is doing the interviewing, then this is another snow job. He is not qualified to determine who would be a good GM, and he is being asked to hire someone as his own replacement. If someone is hired, they will be a glorified scout, given no real power (other than to make suggestions) and the world of the Bills remains virtually the same.

Yes, Ralph isn't senile. I've never thought he was. He is actually a very smart businessman. He is squeezing out all the profit he can out of his "cash cow," and knows that this does not hurt the selling price of the team, because the real value is owning an NFL franchise. The new owners will change everything anyway.

DON'T BELIEVE IT! IT"S ALL A LIE! RALPH WANTS TO STEAL YOUR MONEY! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! :unsure:

PTR

Then he may be in favor of keeping the Tampa 2 scheme. :unsure:

And he may be in favor of keeping Fewell. :flirt:

And he may even like the idea of bringing in Lovie Smith after he is fired. :lol:

I still say no, the year they made the SB was the flukiest year in a long, long time... not impressed with the Bears at all.

They've had a very good track record in their drafts. As for the cover-2, I don't know if the head of college scouting has much sway over what defense the team he works for runs. he scouts and drafts players to fit the roll that the coaches want. Winning is very tough without a star qb. They went to the Superbowl with Rex Grossman on the back of a defense that he largely drafted.

the article lists brandon as the COO... maybe, just maybe, he knows that he isn't a real GM, and ralph told him to find a real GM that can win.

These are merely names who could be candidates for the GM position. To my knowledge, no interviews have been scheduled, nor is there an official meeting save for Shanahan thus far.

Last year people suggested Gabriel when it became obvious the team was in the tank. He never received an interview. That's no knock on Gabriel, but the team needs to make the first move. Unless of course it's done via the Jim Fassel method of writing a letter asking for a job.

Am I the only one a little intrigued by Michael Lombadi, who has publically stated that the Bills need to draft and sign FAs with the philosophy in mind of winning those late season and playoff games in cold weather ie big, dominating lines, big running backs and a strong-armed QB

At least we know what he'd bring, a FO, coaches and players with this approach in mind.

hilarious - I now keep picturing Fassel cold calling teams like Jack Lemon's character in Glengarry Glenn Ross.

:unsure:

Continuing the analogy...Fassel showing up to interview with Ralph, giving the pitch of his life, getting the job and then finding out later that Ralph is crazy and his hiring wasn't real.