Bills lead NFL with best defensive passer rating...

Big Turk

Something the Bills can build on for next year is their league leading opposing QB passer rating(not to mention they lead the NFL in INTs, and have the league leader in INTs). Opposing QBs have a 59.8 rating against Buffalo, worst in the NFL(or best if you are a Bills fan). I know a lot of people are surprised, but I really am not that surprised. I personally believe the Bills have the deepest secondary in the NFL, bar NOONE. How often can a team lose its entire secondary to injury and have their replacements actually play BETTER as the Bills did? Very rarely. In fact, it usually leads to a "smoke and mirrors" defense that tries to hide players or give them lots of help.

The fact that teams are running the ball so well makes it even more impressive. Theoretically the running game should allow the opponents to use play action passes to burn the Bills, but it doesn't happen too often. Teams are averaging a middle of the NFL 32.8 passing attempts a game, so it can't be argued that teams just decide to run the ball all the time, because clearly that isn't the case. In fact, the Bills are at or near the top of the NFL in just about every stat category there is in passing defense.

In a complete reversal of how football is supposed to work, it appears the Bills secondary is actually creating sacks for their lineman and linebackers many times. The QB is forced to hold onto the ball because noone is open, and they try and run or get sacked eventually. The Bills might lead the NFL in coverage sacks, as the opposing QBs usually have a lot of time to throw the ball initially before the rush eventually catches up with them as noone comes open.

I am hoping the Bills can put together some semblance of a pass rush next year, because this could quickly become a top flight defense. If they can get an initial pass rush, that will make the already stellar secondary that much better and should create even more opportunities for turnovers and incompletions.

I am sure there will be plenty of replies making up reasons or excuses why the Bills pass defense has been so good and how they really suck, but I think those people are just trying a little too hard...the Bills clearly have one of the best, if not the best secondary in the NFL and when it comes back completely healthy next year it will be even better...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, why pass it when opposing Os can gash and slash with their run game all day long?

How do you like your poison? Straight up or on the rocks?

I'll agree that it's nice to be leading the league in something other than penalties and being scored upon though.

Go Bills!

Man, they can compile meaningless stats for anything.

Alot of good that passer rating has on our win-loss record.

And who wants to pass, when there are 20 yard holes being opened up to run through?

A more important stat would be where we rank in run defense...

when teams run for over 180 yards per game on your defense the "stats" get skewed and the "pass" defensive stats look better than they actually are.

So don't get too psyched over it. Besides, Perry may not be here next season and then everything changes.

its amazing that he put the other stat in and you guys still ignored it...Its not that teams are not passing? they are attempting 32 a game..thats a lot.

our pass defense is sound.....not just a result of poor rush d

How bout we keep it real? The Bills haven't exactly faced the "A" list of QBs...

They start out with BRADY in his first game back from knee surgery, , BREES, Henne twice, Leftwitch, Derek Anderson and that miserable performance, the rookie Sanchez twice, the washed up Delhomme, SHAUB, Vince Young, & Matt Cassel. By my count, 2 "A" list QBs, and a "B" list QB (Shuab).

Facing that bunch, they better have good games.

Yeah, why pass it when opposing Os can gash and slash with their run game all day long?

How do you like your poison? Straight up or on the rocks?

I'll agree that it's nice to be leading the league in something other than penalties and being scored upon though.

Go Bills!

Some of the young DBs have been playing pretty good, but almost any defense will have a good pass defense when a little league team could run all day against them.

when teams run for over 180 yards per game on your defense the "stats" get skewed and the "pass" defensive stats look better than they actually are.

So don't get too psyched over it. Besides, Perry may not be here next season and then everything changes.

Passer rating doesn't come from most passes attempted. It is about efficiency.

If people in fact thought that running against Buffalo was the only way to go, it would tend to make our rating against the pass LOWER, not higher. Because as teams ran a higher and higher percentage of the time, the defense would begin to sell out to protect against the run.

Clearly a large majority of you overlooked a point the OP made:

"Teams are averaging a middle of the NFL 32.8 passing attempts a game, so it can't be argued that teams just decide to run the ball all the time, because clearly that isn't the case."

So it is not that opposing QBs aren't trying to pass much. And most of the time, quick and large chunks of yards are obtained through the air. If our pass D was not strong, we would have seen a lot more points racked up against us. Let us give credit where credit is due - our pass D is good.

Passer rating doesn't come from most passes attempted. It is about efficiency.

If people in fact thought that running against Buffalo was the only way to go, it would tend to make our rating against the pass LOWER, not higher. Because as teams ran a higher and higher percentage of the time, the defense would begin to sell out to protect against the run.

The first game against the Jets alone and the game Sanchez had will keep them in the top 10 all season.

its amazing that he put the other stat in and you guys still ignored it...Its not that teams are not passing? they are attempting 32 a game..thats a lot.

our pass defense is sound.....not just a result of poor rush d

+1

The first game against the Jets alone and the game Sanchez had will keep them in the top 10 all season.

Hahaha, what about Derek Anderson's performance!?

Any good stats with the Bills come with a list of excuses. Any bad stats are rock solid evidence that we blow.

PTR

Is there anyway you can stock this post as a template for uses to come?

See that drafting an inordinate amount of Db's resulted in strong secondary play. Imagine had gone the DL route they'd probably be getting torched over the top.

And given our stagnant offense, we'd be getting BLOWN out. Suddenly getting chipped away by the run doesn't seem all that bad. :unsure:

Actually, this is incorrect. I think you're confusing yardage given up with rating. You can have a terrific rating yet throw for few yards. Yes, the Bills don't give up a ton of yards passing because of opponents' ability to run wild, but a 59.8 passer rating is absolutely dreadful no matter how you slice it.

How bout we keep it real? The Bills haven't exactly faced the "A" list of QBs...

They start out with BRADY in his first game back from knee surgery, , BREES, Henne twice, Leftwitch, Derek Anderson and that miserable performance, the rookie Sanchez twice, the washed up Delhomme, SHAUB, Vince Young, & Matt Cassel. By my count, 2 "A" list QBs, and a "B" list QB (Shuab).

Facing that bunch, they better have good games.

Yet Vince Young has managed to play well this season. Go figure. Re Brady, he had probably the best game against the Bills this year of any QB. He was perfectly fine in that game and dominated late.