WCW vs WWF

billsfan89

Dude, a little later than that and you're in the golden age...Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Sgt. Slaughter, Iron Sheik, Junk Yard Dog, the Hulkster and on and on....

Great, thanks to the combination of his post and yours, I now have the classic coconut moment with Snuka and Piper stuck in my head.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 80s, every kid knew who held all the belts. The heavy weight champ, the intercontinental champ, and the tag team champs. If memory serves, a majority of the time it was Hogan, Tito Santana, and the Hart Foundation.

In the 80s, every kid knew who held all the belts. The heavy weight champ, the intercontinental champ, and the tag team champs. If memory serves, a majority of the time it was Hogan, Tito Santana, and the Hart Foundation.

Brings back some memories. DiBiase wanted to buy the title from Hogan, Hogan refused. So DiBiase got Andre to win the title from Hogan (using a 'fake' referee) and Andre hands it over to DiBiase. WWF declares the title can't be handed over and says it's now a vacant title, leading to a Title Tournament at WrestleMania 4. Hogan and Andre get counted out during their match, leading to Randy Savage win the title by defeating DiBiase.

First live wrestling event I ever went to was in the early 80s. Watertown High School gym was the venue. The wrestlers used stepladders to get into the ring. Harley Race was still 'King Of The Ring'. The popcorn machine set off a smoke detector so everyone had to exit till the alarm cleared. We happened to be outside one exit when Randy Savage and Elizabeth came out to wait. Quite the change from todays huge arena events.

There was a great run earlier this decade when the WWE bought out the WCW. Hollywood Hogan vs The Rock was the last great wrestling match IMHO.

I was at their match at Wrestlemania X-8....goosebumps.....crowd was ridiculously into that match!

Steamboat-Savage, Wrestlemania 3.

you know whats missing today from the good old days.........

managers.

none better than bobby heenan.

you had jimmy hart, mr fuji, classy freddie blassie, sherrie martel,ect, and they all helped to get the story in the ring across to people watching.

i miss the managers!

My favorite part of WCW was when Hall and Nash started up the NWO and broke kayfabe. It was such a departure from the old school programming. Of course my memories go back to watching the WWF on Sunday mornings before having to go to church, with the theme song 'Classical Gas' and Vince McMahon doing the announcing. Polish Power Ivan Putski, The Grand Wizard, and Haystacks Calhoon. But the original ECW that was on late night on weekends was where you saw the most 'Holy s#@t!' moments. Sabu, The Sandman, and Rob Van Dam.

The thread title is very misleading - 'when wrestling was actually good'.

Hah! You children know nothing of GOOD wrestling...REAL wrestling - Classy Freddy Blassie, Bruno Samartino, Dominic Denucci, Toni Parisi, Waldo Von Erich, George 'The Animal' Steele, Pampiro Firpo, Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, The Fargo Brothers, Haystacks Calhoun, BoBo Brazil, Mr. Fuji, Toru Tanaka, Killer Kowalski, OMG I could go on and on...

Tarzan Tyler, The Medics, Hiro Matsuda, Eddie Graham, Dirty Dick Slater, Jack Briscoe, Terry Funk

....and who can forget the great interviews between Gordon Solie and Dusty Rhodes?

Don't forget about Randy "Macho Man" Savage, that guy was great.

Also, back in the day, Ric Flair and the Road Warriors were pretty badass.

1980s Macho Man was the greatest wrestler ever, IMO.

First time I saw the Road Warriors was on TBS back in the early 80s. They had the black leather, the face paint, and the classic hair cuts...they hit the ring hard, beat the ever lovin BEJEEZUS out of two jobbers, and then cut a promo with Gordon Solie that was intense as hell. I've never seen a tag team anywhere near as dominant as those guys were. Fake or not, there's no fuggin way I would have ever gotten in the ring with those guys.

Quick story about Flair: Back in the late 80s, my cousin saw Flair at the airport. He knew I was a huge fan, so he went up to him and asked for his autograph. Flair was happy to oblige, but then realized that neither of them had anything he could sign. He told my cousin to hang tight and proceeded to run into the airport magazine shop. He picked up the latest wrestling mag and a pen, signed his picture, and gave it to my cousin. I still have it here somewhere. Flair is a cool guy.

1980s Macho Man was the greatest wrestler ever, IMO.

First time I saw the Road Warriors was on TBS back in the early 80s. They had the black leather, the face paint, and the classic hair cuts...they hit the ring hard, beat the ever lovin BEJEEZUS out of two jobbers, and then cut a promo with Gordon Solie that was intense as hell. I've never seen a tag team anywhere near as dominant as those guys were. Fake or not, there's no fuggin way I would have ever gotten in the ring with those guys.

Quick story about Flair: Back in the late 80s, my cousin saw Flair at the airport. He knew I was a huge fan, so he went up to him and asked for his autograph. Flair was happy to oblige, but then realized that neither of them had anything he could sign. He told my cousin to hang tight and proceeded to run into the airport magazine shop. He picked up the latest wrestling mag and a pen, signed his picture, and gave it to my cousin. I still have it here somewhere. Flair is a cool guy.

Flair loves his fans and is always a class act to them (My friend got the guys autograph back in 1999 and he told me he was totally cool). HOWEVER he is not well liked by a lot of his peers he has bashed a lot of guys like Bret Hart and Mick Foley among others. Maybe he is getting older and angrier.

Flair loves his fans and is always a class act to them (My friend got the guys autograph back in 1999 and he told me he was totally cool). HOWEVER he is not well liked by a lot of his peers he has bashed a lot of guys like Bret Hart and Mick Foley among others. Maybe he is getting older and angrier.

very true about flair and his fans...... i ran into him in a hotel bar a few years ago(he did have a woman on his arm) and had a funny conversation with him about the sabres/canes conference final. lasted about 30 min easily. nice guy! :unsure: to brother naitch

Dude, a little later than that and you're in the golden age...Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Sgt. Slaughter, Iron Sheik, Junk Yard Dog, the Hulkster and on and on....

+1.....but don't forget....