Recomendations on single brew coffee makers

WellDressed

I'm looking to get one of these things for my father. He doesn't like to set up a full pot every day. I have been looking

at some that incorporate a pod, or a k-cup, or a saucer-like pack.

Does anyone have one of these? If so, any recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks people!!!

how about a french press, they are very simple and make a good cup of coffee

I'm looking to get one of these things for my father. He doesn't like to set up a full pot every day. I have been looking

at some that incorporate a pod, or a k-cup, or a saucer-like pack.

Does anyone have one of these? If so, any recommendations would be most helpful. Thanks people!!!

One of my doctors has a Keurig similar to this one. It is loud when doing it's "brewing".

Jack, I'm leaning towards a Keurig; that's what I have read, they can be loud. My father is 78 so I see no problems there.

The big question I have to pose to you is, how is the coffee from your MD's machine? Is it better than say a Wawa (Tim Hortons??)

Jack, I'm leaning towards a Keurig; that's what I have read, they can be loud. My father is 78 so I see no problems there.

The big question I have to pose to you is, how is the coffee from your MD's machine? Is it better than say a Wawa (Tim Hortons??)

I don't drink coffee, love the smell, but never got hooked on the taste, so I can't tell you how it is.

I highly recommend getting a Bialetti stovetop unit.

I've tried and owned many different types of coffee machines and these are the best.

Cheap and easy too!

Bialetti

Thanks Kiwi, very intrequing, I just might buy that for myself. :wallbash: I am an amazon prime member so shipping two day ship is free and their return policy is fantastic.

I've got a Keurig Elite and love it. Got it for free through an online promotion. Oddly, the Elite is their low-end full size brewer, but I don't think you need much more than what it has to offer unless you need the purty stainless steel or variable temp controls.

I'm hesitant to comment on the quality of the coffee because everyone's taste is different and the dozens of varieties that are available make it difficult to accurately represent. But I can tell you that I'm a life long coffee drinker and, although I definitely enjoy a brewed pot with freshly ground beans, the convenience that the Keurig offers is very attractive. Seriously, my daughter usually makes the coffee for me and she's not even two years old...that's how easy it is. I just hold her over the machine and she takes it from there. Our guests gets a kick out of it.

I guess my two biggest cons are 1) the high cost per cup and 2) I hate the idea that I'm throwing something into a landfill every time I want a cup of coffee. I wish there was an way to make it more environmentally friendly.

We have a Keurig. I don't drink coffee but my wife does and she absolutely loves it. Don't know a ton about it but I know it can be set on a program to be ready in the AM. My parents also have one and the in-laws just bought one too. They're all coffee people so I guess it's a good endorsement.

just got a Keurig a few weeks ago. Love it - it's quick, easy & clean. High quality coffee.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Kiwi, very intrequing, I just might buy that for myself. :thumbsup: I am an amazon prime member so shipping two day ship is free and their return policy is fantastic.

Go for it... you'll love it. (regarding the Bialetti)

I never really knew about them until we moved out to New Zealand. I've seen them in a lot of homes here and the Italians I know here tell me that every family in Italy has one.

It makes something between a coffee and an espresso, called "Moka"

I fill my coffee cup 1/2 way with milk, warm it in the microwave and fill the rest with the Moka and I'm telling ya... it's the best damn latte you can buy. Seriously.

Velvet.

Plus... there's no moving parts.

OK, that settles it, the Keurig he will get. With all of this love that you guys are showing for these newfangled brewers, you've got me thinking of getting one for myself. :beer: Thanks for all of your input, this turned out to be rather easy. :lol:

Don't you gotta buy their coffee and what not supplies? I don't drink coffee, but if somebody bought me a gift like this (strings attached in that one has to keep buying specific supplies)... I would shoot them.

Kinda like buying somebody a cellphone as a gift... Unless the thing came with a free lifetime plan... How can somebody expect a gift that has certain strings attched and may cost them more in price and committment?

A gift like this would drive me crazy!

:thumbsup:0:)

Not to change the subject towards a traditional brewing system, but I have the Bunn NHBX. Here's the product link. http://www.bunnomatic.com/retail/products/nhb.html

I had been burning through mr coffee, black and decker, etc pots in the $30-$50 range every year. I made a pot 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year and these things only lasted a year to two years max. The Bunn was $140, but I got it on sale for $90 5 years ago and it hasn't had a hitch. It makes a perfect pot of coffee in around 3 minutes. Drawbacks include a simple toggle switch (therefore, no timer, if you're into that) and it uses more energy cause it basically is a mini hhot water heater. However, the extra water causes the water to be forced through the grounds fast, using a pressure gradient, rather than an impeller like a standard coffee pot. Coffee tastes great and the thing is durable as hell. IMO, if you're in the market for a new pot, spend the extra $$ and get a real machine like this one.

Not to change the subject towards a traditional brewing system, but I have the Bunn NHBX. Here's the product link. http://www.bunnomatic.com/retail/products/nhb.html

I had been burning through mr coffee, black and decker, etc pots in the $30-$50 range every year. I made a pot 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year and these things only lasted a year to two years max. The Bunn was $140, but I got it on sale for $90 5 years ago and it hasn't had a hitch. It makes a perfect pot of coffee in around 3 minutes. Drawbacks include a simple toggle switch (therefore, no timer, if you're into that) and it uses more energy cause it basically is a mini hhot water heater. However, the extra water causes the water to be forced through the grounds fast, using a pressure gradient, rather than an impeller like a standard coffee pot. Coffee tastes great and the thing is durable as hell. IMO, if you're in the market for a new pot, spend the extra $$ and get a real machine like this one.

What? What kinda water do you have?

OK, that settles it, the Keurig he will get. With all of this love that you guys are showing for these newfangled brewers, you've got me thinking of getting one for myself. :thumbsup: Thanks for all of your input, this turned out to be rather easy. 0:)

We have a Keurig machine at work and it's very good. I don't think they are that loud and it's only for about 10 seconds. It's just a little more expensive for the coffee. Also, make sure you change the filter out every 6 months.

If you are not already planning to, consider tapping directly into the cold water line so all he has to do is push the button rather than pour the water in the top each time. Huge convenience factor.

Isn't that horse already out of the barn?

Don't you gotta buy their coffee and what not supplies? I don't drink coffee, but if somebody bought me a gift like this (strings attached in that one has to keep buying specific supplies)... I would shoot them.

Kinda like buying somebody a cellphone as a gift... Unless the thing came with a free lifetime plan... How can somebody expect a gift that has certain strings attched and may cost them more in price and committment?

Uh oh, that's a double fail on my part. Hmmmm, time to re-think this decision. I got both parents a cell phone back in '02....................Now they roll prepaid.

We have a Tassimo, wife and daughter and guests absolutly love it, but I suggest you go with the Keurig for several reasons,: last night we went out looking for coffee for the machine, tons of Keurig disks, none for the Tassimo. GMC (Green Mountain Coffee) dominates in the market for the single serve coffe machines, and if they acquire a new company, they would effectively own the market. The keurig also has a way to refill your Kcup to be used in the machine, this allows you to put your favorite coffee in the machine rather than the prefilled cups that are sold for 10 bucks for an 18 pack (tassimo prices). Expect those to dissappear if GMC completes their latest move on the company that has a large position in the prepackaged coffee market.

Wake Up and Smell the Coffee War: Peet's (PEET), Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR), Starbucks (SBUX), Diedrich Coffee (DDRX)

Given America's love (or rather addiction) for coffee, the battle between Peet's (PEET) and Green Mountain Coffee (GMCR) to acquire Diedrich Coffee (DDRX) is fierce. Green Mountain Coffee controls 58% of the market on single-cup coffee makers with its Keurig machine. The demand for single-cup coffee makers is growing 38% while demand for regular coffee makers rose just 7%.

The fight for Diedrich centers on coffee pods, individual servings used in single-cup machines. The business model depends on these coffee pods, since machines are rather cheap and the money is made on selling refills. Keurig's machine uses a special pod called a K-cup. Green Mountain, Keurig's owner, owns 75% market share in K-cups but Diedrich is the largest independent K-cup distributor. While Peet's fought hard for a deal with Diedrich, it appears that the victory may well go to Green Mountain, which will control 95% of the market in K-Cups if it takes over Diedrich. Peet's will also have difficulty competing against Starbucks (SBUX).

Uh oh, that's a double fail on my part. Hmmmm, time to re-think this decision. I got both parents a cell phone back in '02....................Now they roll prepaid.

Nice of you to get them phones - you are a good son. :thumbsup:

They did well with the pre-paid choice. If you aren't using a cell phone as your main phone, that's the way to go. Wife 'n me have had T-Mobile pre-paid for several years - she uses up some minutes because she travels, and we both get bonus minutes after we spent $100 in card purchases. Our available minutes roll over with the purchase of a $10 card once per year.

They sell us cheap phones, too. Last year, we got new phones (mostly because of the extended batt. life the newer phones offer).

I paid $20 for my Nokia bare-bones job, and wife has a decent flip Motorola for 30 bucks, with Bluetooth. Our recent purchased vehicle has one of those Bluetooth things, so when she needs to call on the road - very seldom thankfully - she can do so hands-free.

BTW folks - the cell phone people take old phones, which they check out and pass'em over to folks in need of emergency communications. If you have an old piece, bring it in please. Same with Rx eyeglasses - Lens Crafters etc. does same.

:thumbsup:0:)

Jeez...what an odd complaint. It's like "somebody bought me a toaster oven...now I gotta buy bread and other stuff that I want to make hot and toasty....you bastard!"

If someone bought you a traditional coffee maker, wouldn't you buy yourself some coffee to use it? The K-cups are on most grocery store shelves right next to the regular coffee.

Jeez...what an odd complaint. It's like "somebody bought me a toaster oven...now I gotta buy bread and other stuff that I want to make hot and toasty....you bastard!"

If someone bought you a traditional coffee maker, wouldn't you buy yourself some coffee to use it? The K-cups are on most grocery store shelves right next to the regular coffee.

Yes - lifting a leg on some item a good soul gave you as a gift is poor. One may use it or not. Either way, all one should do is thank the giver.

I'm reminded of a post several years ago - the poster was invited to Thanksgiving at his brothers' house, who recently married. He was livid because evidently the woman was not the best of cooks, and purchased one of those dinners that the grocery stores offer. Good for her - she wanted the guests to have a good meal.

He felt he was being cheated. He was invited, accepted the invitation to share the holiday at his brothers' home, yet went on railing on about how he was about to be robbed of a home-cooked meal and how that was his due, about why he should travel for such a disappointment... :thumbsup:

Go figure.

Of course, he had umbrage aplenty flung upon him from other posters.

In a perfect world, his brother or his wife was a TSW member, and slammed the door in his petulant face when he showed up...

0:)

We got the Keurig Breville model about five months ago, and it absolutely kicks ass. You can get the K-cups from Amazon at a pretty decent price, relatively speaking, or you can find them at larger grocery stores.

We bought it because my wife never knows from one day to the next if she wants coffee or tea, so now you can just have whatever the hell you want. In fact, we get hot chocolate k-cups for my son, my wife can flip from English tea to Chai tea, and even use it to dispense hot water for making oatmeal in the morning. It takes less than 4 minutes from the time you fire it up until it's ready to make a cup of whatever you want.

By far the single best investment ever made in a coffee maker. Can not recommend it highly enough.

It takes less than 4 minutes from the time you fire it up until it's ready to make a cup of whatever you want.

I'd actually say between 1-2 minutes on my brewer which is one of the low end models...although I suppose yours may take longer because of the larger capacity.

The Auto-On feature really cracks me up. How fast do you need it?...LOL

I'd actually say between 1-2 minutes on my brewer which is one of the low end models...although I suppose yours may take longer because of the larger capacity.

The Auto-On feature really cracks me up. How fast do you need it?...LOL

I have it set to fire up at 5 a.m. so when I come downstairs for coffee, it's ready to go. That four minutes of waiting in the morning is an eternity to me. :lol:

Another note for those who suggest you're pigeon-holing granpa into using k-cups: you can get this reusable coffee filter and fill it with your own coffee grounds and pop in in the dispenser. I used it initially, but I drink a lot of coffee in the morning and cleaning that little thing after every cup became a pain in the ass. But if you're only having one or two cups, it's easier than worrying if you have any k-cups for the morning.

Another note for those who suggest you're pigeon-holing granpa into using k-cups: you can get this reusable coffee filter and fill it with your own coffee grounds and pop in in the dispenser. I used it initially, but I drink a lot of coffee in the morning and cleaning that little thing after every cup became a pain in the ass. But if you're only having one or two cups, it's easier than worrying if you have any k-cups for the morning.

Another another note about the reusable filter thingy. I have one and my recommendation is to use stronger coffee than usual. The water goes through there pretty quick and can result in some weak stuff. I usually go with an espresso roast or Bustelo ...something along those lines.

I know you have already decided on the Keurig but I thought I would weigh in just to let you know it's a reliable machine. I have owned my Keurig (B60 Elite) for over 3 years and it has not given me one ounce of trouble. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I never used to brew coffee at home as I am the only one in my house that drinks it. Now I can have a fresh cup anytime I want and I absolutely love the choice of hundreds of different coffees to try. Bed Bath & Beyond carries many different brands of K-cups now and there are many different internet sites that offer free shipping (I use Coffeewiz.com). Great gift.

Yes - lifting a leg on some item a good soul gave you as a gift is poor. One may use it or not. Either way, all one should do is thank the giver.

So true Cincy... Oh I would never complain openly and be very thankful! Yet, it would drive me crazy to not have the flexibilty to put anything but the sanctioned product/serving in it. Basically, I wouls use it for some time and then it would get put on the self.

Like the cellphone... IMO these items that deal with "committment" or shoe-horn the customer to keep buying THEIR licensed supplies are not good gifts... They are personal choices that should be made by the individual.

Big difference between having a varied choice of felxibility MattyT in say a conventional coffemaker or toaster than having to buy a companies licensed product. That is like Ford saying one can only use Ford gas in one of their vehicles... How well would that float.

Flexibility should be your personal choice, not a gift... UNLESS they say they want it.

Gee... Thanks for the coffeemaker... Not I goot buy their product set at their prices.

Sorry, I am pro-competition and flexibility.

Not saying this isn't a great product, just saying that I would not make it a gift without asking first if they want it.

I'm reminded of a post several years ago - the poster was invited to Thanksgiving at his brothers' house, who recently married. He was livid because evidently the woman was not the best of cooks, and purchased one of those dinners that the grocery stores offer. Good for her - she wanted the guests to have a good meal.

He felt he was being cheated. He was invited, accepted the invitation to share the holiday at his brothers' home, yet went on railing on about how he was about to be robbed of a home-cooked meal and how that was his due, about why he should travel for such a disappointment... :lol:

Go figure.

Of course, he had umbrage aplenty flung upon him from other posters.

In a perfect world, his brother or his wife was a TSW member, and slammed the door in his petulant face when he showed up...

:lol:

Was her name Peppermint Patty?

Charlie Brown would never slam the door in anyone's face... He'd have Linus or Marcy do the dirty work by laying the guilt-trip on them.

:lol:

Didn't know that! :lol::lol:

Not saying this isn't a great product, just saying that I would not make it a gift without asking first if they want it.

Yes - you make a good point here.

My only coffee story:

At a place I worked at, I was almost always the 1st one in. So I'd fire up the pot, and made it on the weak side, because I knew that it would sit for a fair while and concentrate. A couple of my workers bitc*ed about it - so I simply informed them, that they could solve their problem by beating me into work.

They never did... :thumbsup:

Yes - you make a good point here.

My only coffee story:

At a place I worked at, I was almost always the 1st one in. So I'd fire up the pot, and made it on the weak side, because I knew that it would sit for a fair while and concentrate. A couple of my workers bitc*ed about it - so I simply informed them, that they could solve their problem by beating me into work.

They never did... :w00t:

Good story! :thumbsup::)

Don't listen to him. I was given one and was quite happy with it. By the way you can use regular coffee with the right accessory.