Interesting Brian Brohm Article

sfbillsfan2

Like a lot of people on this site I have been very interested in the Brian Brohm signing. Given the likelihood he will not play this season, I looked at some draft articles about him to get an idea what scouts thought of him and their assessment of how he might perform as a pro quarterback. The linked article has good background on him. Who knows how this guy will play out in Buffalo but this is the season of hope right?! Enjoy.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...31008bigc2.html

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in him as well. He floudered in Greenbay where Mccarthy is a QB guru. They liked him enough to try and hide him on their practice squad. They even matched the Bills Offer. That says something at least. He's got the arm and Size to be a NFL QB. If he can't grasp the mental part which he reportedly had issues with then he will be a journeyman QB.

The Bills seem impressed with him but that doesn't say much given their track record with QB's. Holcomb, JP, Trent, Fitz have all been terrible.

I am interested in him as well. He floudered in Greenbay where Mccarthy is a QB guru. They liked him enough to try and hide him on their practice squad. They even matched the Bills Offer. That says something at least. He's got the arm and Size to be a NFL QB. If he can't grasp the mental part which he reportedly had issues with then he will be a journeyman QB.

The Bills seem impressed with him but that doesn't say much given their track record with QB's. Holcomb, JP, Trent, Fitz have all been terrible.

Agree the Bills track record is not great but Green Bay's efforts to keep him does say something. Alex Smith has been interesting to watch as he floundered in his career but now finally seems to get it.

Like a lot of people on this site I have been very interested in the Brian Brohm signing. Given the likelihood he will not play this season, I looked at some draft articles about him to get an idea what scouts thought of him and their assessment of how he might perform as a pro quarterback. The linked article has good background on him. Who knows how this guy will play out in Buffalo but this is the season of hope right?! Enjoy.

Craig Nall part deux?

The more I read about him, the more intrigued I become. Lots of people have said lots of good things about him. I wonder where he'd be if he'd entered the draft after his junior season. Moot point now, though.

kind of interesting how both ATL and Baltimore are mentioned as teams that had him very high if not tops on their lists and they both took the QB's that are stated in this article as overtaking Brohm in the draft hunt...Ive been interested since Bills signed him on how Brohm stacks up against 2010's qb's...his stats compare very well against the top draft prospects this year...meaning to say, if this was his draft year and not 2008, would he be the top draft prospect in 2010...I'll be interesting to see if Buffalo sees Brohm as there future qb and decides to skip drafting a qb this year and go after a OT in the 1st round to protect Brohm next year.

...I'll be interesting to see if Buffalo sees Brohm as there future qb and decides to skip drafting a qb this year and go after a OT in the 1st round to protect Brohm next year.

That's another of the reasons I went back and looked at some of the draft articles about him. The Bills have so many needs in the draft/free agency (OL, LB, QB, etc.) that if Brohm could be the solution at QB, it opens things up in the draft for other positions. The problem will be how to figure out if he can be the guy given they don't plan to play him this year.

What I like most about Brohm is that he signed here of his own volition. He saw the situation and wants a chance to start.

Some QBs in the NFL are comfortable being 2nd or 3rd string. They practice. They hang out with the guys and hold a clipboard. There's a pretty small chance they'll get action in more than 2 games per season. There's some comfort knowing they'll have a job for a few years before they're not good enough and the team finds out.

Won't forget that offseason when Billy Volek, back-up in Tenn, was the top UFA and he chose to stay in Tenn behind McNair. Told me all I needed to know about what he thought of himself and what his life goals were.

Brohm could've hid himself in GB behind Rogers for a while, as a 2nd round project QB. From what I read, he didn't play badly in preseason, it was just a warm-bodies issue in GB and they thought they could hide him on the PS.

Coming to the Bills, if he ain't good enough for the NFL, he's at least halved his career. Sometimes people get off to a bad start, sometimes a situation just isn't right for an individual, sometimes you need to shake the peaches. It may or may not come to anything, but I love Brohm's attitude.

kind of interesting how both ATL and Baltimore are mentioned as teams that had him very high if not tops on their lists and they both took the QB's that are stated in this article as overtaking Brohm in the draft hunt...Ive been interested since Bills signed him on how Brohm stacks up against 2010's qb's...his stats compare very well against the top draft prospects this year...meaning to say, if this was his draft year and not 2008, would he be the top draft prospect in 2010...I'll be interesting to see if Buffalo sees Brohm as there future qb and decides to skip drafting a qb this year and go after a OT in the 1st round to protect Brohm next year.

Looking at your mock draft Tsaikotic. Bruce Campbell in the first round is a great idea. I like it. Buffalo's been needing someone to take care of this Zombie problem for awhile.

I wonder how good Brohm could be, since in two years he couldn't make the Packers 53 man team.

Look at some of the parallels between Brohm and Drew Brees:

• Both quarterbacks were highly accomplished pocket passers at the college level
  • Neither quarterback was known for being mobile
  • Both quarterbacks were taken in the early second round
  • Both quarterbacks were given up on by the team that drafted them

There are some differences though. Drew Brees was shown much more patience, and given a much better opportunity, in San Diego than Brohm received in Green Bay. On the latter team, the performance of Aaron Rodgers as well as that backup meant that Green Bay was set at both starting and backup QB either with or without Brohm. That's one of the absolute last places I'd want to be if I was an unproven QB trying to become a starter in the NFL.

While there's absolutely no guarantee that Brohm will become the next Drew Brees story, he has a much better chance of becoming one than Losman ever did. Unlike Brees or Brohm, Losman was never an accomplished pocket passer at the college level. Losman was drafted because of his physical gifts.

Don't understand the comment in the article that he is really very competitive but hides it well. I have never known a competitive football player that can or feels that he even needs to hide it. The idea is more like showing it. That is called leadership.

Brohm had a great college carreer, no question, including in his senior year when Loiusville fell out of bowl contention because of defensive, not offensive woes. One problem is that the Cardinals used a one read scheme for the QB. He knew exactly where he was going with the ball before taking the snap. No reads, progressions etc... none of the things that the pro game, and pro defenses, impose on the QB position. He has to date not shown that he can handle these demands.

Hope things work out for him here in Buff or elsewhere, since he seems to want to play. No question he has some skills.

Look at some of the parallels between Brohm and Drew Brees:
  • Both quarterbacks were highly accomplished pocket passers at the college level
  • Neither quarterback was known for being mobile
  • Both quarterbacks were taken in the early second round
  • Both quarterbacks were given up on by the team that drafted them

There are some differences though. Drew Brees was shown much more patience, and given a much better opportunity, in San Diego than Brohm received in Green Bay. On the latter team, the performance of Aaron Rodgers as well as that backup meant that Green Bay was set at both starting and backup QB either with or without Brohm. That's one of the absolute last places I'd want to be if I was an unproven QB trying to become a starter in the NFL.

While there's absolutely no guarantee that Brohm will become the next Drew Brees story, he has a much better chance of becoming one than Losman ever did. Unlike Brees or Brohm, Losman was never an accomplished pocket passer at the college level. Losman was drafted because of his physical gifts.

I would not start any comparisons to Brees quite yet.

Brees had actually started games for SD and had a good final season (pre-injury) before they let him go in favor of Rivers. Brohm has seen limited, scrub-time preseason action. As parallels go, it sounds more like a perpendicular. We have no idea how Brohm will measure up when things count... he is a blank slate. It'll be for the next regime to figure out where they want him.

Picking a nit: GB didn't "give up on" Brohm. Looks like they were trying to essentially gain a roster spot by stashing Brohm on the PS (not a bad idea if you can do it). They tried to hang onto him by matching the 2-year offer.

We essentially poached a 2nd-round pick from GB, who hasn't had much of a chance to show anything.