Revenue sharing is history in the NFL

sullim4

It always amazes me when you have a business model that is wildly successfully and has the market completely unto themselves yet always wants to find a way to stray away from the formula that brought them all of their prosperity.

I'm not saying this happens all at once, but it is a culmination of all the little changes that eventually erode all of the hard work that made them into a success in the first place.

The NFL has been the most stable and entertaining sport for a long time but somehow the greed of a few could really change the product that brought them into the dominating position that they are in today.

I for one would avoid the NFL like the plague if it turns into a football version of MLB.

well said

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Jones apparently will not be satisfied until the NFL consists of ~8 teams that together, in his dreams, earn as much as the current 32 combined. That, to go with $50 8-oz. cups of beer and $400 pizzas.

The day the NFL stops being widely geographic (and as such, there is a system in place to support this wide geography) is the day it starts to die.

People do not cheer for/support sports teams far away from anywhere they've ever called home.

Squeeze the neck on the goose Jerry. Keep wringing ever harder and it's sure to pop out golden eggs faster and more frequently. <_<

A megalomaniac. Seriously.

If he could/can he will want to introduce the games like this:

"Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys bring you the NFL"

Keep sharing the TV revenue and keep a salary cap in place and I think the league will be in good shape.

What the league desperately needs though is a pre-determined rookie pay scale. The fact that teams are forced to pay millions to kids that have never taken a snap is ridiculous.

<_< I agree. A pre-determined pay scale and a contract heavy on performance bonuses ought to be fair enough.

reduce the % of overall revenues the players get and we'll actually come out ahead...

The salary cap is set so high because the pool of $$ is so huge. When you shrink the total pool, the cap goes down.

Of course, it looks like this is the final year of salary cap football anyway.

I hope Jerry Jones goes bankrupt and loses his team when the NFL's total revenues plummet.

Jerry Jones apparently will not be satisfied until the NFL consists of ~8 teams that together, in his dreams, earn as much as the current 32 combined. That, to go with $50 8-oz. cups of beer and $400 pizzas.

The day the NFL stops being widely geographic (and as such, there is a system in place to support this wide geography) is the day it starts to die.

And that will help an alternate league rise up, like the UFL if it's still around by then.

It always amazes me when you have a business model that is wildly successfully and has the market completely unto themselves yet always wants to find a way to stray away from the formula that brought them all of their prosperity.

I'm not saying this happens all at once, but it is a culmination of all the little changes that eventually erode all of the hard work that made them into a success in the first place.

The NFL has been the most stable and entertaining sport for a long time but somehow the greed of a few could really change the product that brought them into the dominating position that they are in today.

I for one would avoid the NFL like the plague if it turns into a football version of MLB.

Well said.

I wouldn't get too worked-up over this. It's just the $100M/year (I thought it was supposed to be $150M/year?) that is divided-up among the 8-12 lowest revenue teams each year. And that was a conciliation by the bigger market owners for foisting that POS CBA on the rest of the owners.

Now if they were no longer going to share TV revenue, that would be bad. But there's no way that the majority of owners would agree to that.

Losing this money, in and of itself, doesn't make the Bills (for ex) less competitive; but it's another nail in the small market team's collective coffin. It's already hard enough to compete for top name FAs and coaches. Now, you're taking money away from the small market teams. While pushing for more games/teams overseas. While pushing for a team in LA, as though we need 4 teams in CA. While making new billion dollar stadiums the norm. While steadily increasing the salary cap. While trying to extend the season, which means more players which means more salaries. The path the NFL is heading down is not good for small market teams and the competitive nature of the game.
It's the first domino my friend. The undercurrent you need to pay attention to is the league is slowly being handed over to the power owners...

In addition, gate receipts for general seating are split 60/40 for the home team which means those teams with higher ticket revenue make more money. Also, all luxury seating revenue (suites, boxes, club seating) is kept by the home team. Then there's the discrepancy in the amount paid for stadium naming rights, the fact that big market teams can sell advertising on practice jerseys, etc. Not to mention also that Jerry Jones has from time to time floated the idea of regionalizing television coverage, etc.

The top revenue generating team in 2008, the Washington Redskins raked in $327 million. That same year the Bills had revenues of $206 million.

This is a huge gap and one that is getting wider every year. Those who think there's nothing to worry about are in denial or are being naive, IMO. It's getting away from us, slowly but surely.

Jones needs all the money from his ticket sales to help pay for his new stadium. I can understand what he means by that, but he has to understand that the league was founded and was able to become what it is because of revenue sharing. The Mara's (for example) made sacrifices and gave up huge profits to allow it to flourish. Jerry can't expect things to change just for him.

Perhaps all the cost cutting moves the Bills did this off season was for a reason, dumping Jason Peters, Langston Walker, Derrick Dockery and not bringing in any other decent LT free agents.

I was beginning to think someone in the front office was taking bribes to screw the team, now I think that more cost cutting moves will occur.

The Bills need all the extra $$ they can get to stay competitive, and this move screws them.

I just can't see the Bill staying in Buffalo long term now :devil:

Bottom line this is Jones, Snider, Kraft and a couple others trying to make it where only their teams can compete. I can't believe Jones etal can get enough votes from the mid tier and lower tier teams to get this to pass.

A rookie cap needs to be in place this next CBA pronto.

I agree, Darth, but how can they do this when a majority of the teams fall in the other category?

I do they get a majority, or I believe their super majority of 24 teams in this instance, to agree on something like this?

Even if things get uneven and head into baseball territory, small market teams can still survive. In baseball, only 12% of the teams make the playoffs, so more than half are out of it by the end of May. In the NFL, 35% of the teams make the playoffs, so if you have 6 or so super spenders, that still leaves 5 or 6 playoff spots open to the rest of the league. The big boys will spend on the top free agents, but that will leave middle tier guys to accept smaller deals and veterans coming off big deals to fill in spots.

If they fix the rookie pay scale, that will go along way to allowing the poor teams to get some difference makers in the draft while still having money to fill in gaps in free agency.

Teams like the Bills will operate on a smaller scale but may be able to field competitive teams while spending in the $80m-$90m range. None of this is great, but I don't think it's the end of the NFL in Buffalo.

People do not cheer for/support sports teams far away from anywhere they've ever called home.

Are you kidding? You've just described about every Cowboy fan I know, as well as a good chunk of Dolphin fans.

Not to mention the 'I loved player X in college when I was a teenager and followed them to the pros and rooted for that team ever since'.

You want to start to kill revenue sharing and take away the salary cap?

Fine...extend free agency to 6 years and cap rookie contracts. As long as TV revenue is still shared and you have a solid front office you can remain competitive (wake up Ralph).

My two cents.

Squeeze the neck on the goose Jerry. Keep wringing ever harder and it's sure to pop out golden eggs faster and more frequently. :ph34r:

This.

Well said I think that the NFL in recent years had started to price the average fan and the average team (Buffalo and smaller and mid market teams). I have a first hand view of what the NFL is becoming, just 5-10 minutes in away from my house is the building site of the new meadowlands stadium the epitome of what the NFL is trying to become and its sad and sickening.

It use to be that the NFL built its self to surpass baseball as Americas top sport by putting the strength of the league ahead of the strength of the top franchises. The top grossing teams were willing to take the hit to share revenue knowing that if the league were competitive it would put out a product that was better and eventually a rising tide would raise all boats.

Now it seems like the top teams have said !@#$ it fend for yourselves we have given you enough. BUT what the top teams have failed to realize is that why fix what is broken? Yeah sure the quick payout of not having to share revenue is going to boost your bottom line but once you get past the near future you are going to hurt the overall product and make your league worth less and that includes your team.