Trent Edwards should be starting

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to see if he has anything to offer the Bills.

Trent Edwards has looked good at times, but has had the most inexperienced offensive line in the league, and one of the most injured, a change of offensive coordinators right before the season began, and poor coaching throughout his tenure here.

Before we toss him aside, yet another quarterback, we need to see if he has anything.

Some hall of fame quarterbacks, who didn't get their legs completely under them for several years, would have been disgarded if the mentality of some on this board had prevailed.

Absolutely NOT

The Trent Edwards experiment is a done deal! He should and will be gone sometime in mid February. There is no need to hope for a guy that has proven time and time again that he does not have the mental fortitude to handle the QB position in the NFL. PERIOD

You dont know if he is fully recovered from his head issues.... You ask me, And I dont think he is the same guy from Arizona, Plus we know he has had 2 concussions.... How may others in HS and college.

Plus, Fitz can scramble, Edwards doesnt,... with the line be so poor, you want a guy that can run.

Roethlisberger has had 4 since he was drafted and won two super bowls

The Concussion is not the problem. Trent isnt a winner and doesnt care enough to prove anyone wrong

Not saying he is brees..but for the record, Brees stats:

(G, Comp%, Rating, TD-Int)

2001 1, 55.6% 94.8% 1-0

2002 15, 60.8% 76.9% 17-16

2003 11, 57.6% 67.5%, 11-15

Trent Edwards

2007, 10, 56.1%, 70.4%, 7-8

2008, 14, 65.5%, 85.4%, 11-10

2009, 7, 60.2%, 74.1%, 6-7

I am sure you could find 100 other QBs with a similar comparison who never panned out...but my point is, you have to allow him one more change to prove himself. Go ahead draft a 2-3 round QB and make it an open competition....see what happens...its too early to write him off.

There is some big glaring differences though. You can compare stats all you want, what they dont show is demeanor on the field. Trent doesnt play with confidence, is gun shy, hesitant, cant read a D, etc etc. Not to mention, once SD brought in Rivers and Brees saw his job become in jeopardy he responded with a big breakout year. Trent has not responded well to struggles and QB competition. He knew this was a pivotal year and seems to be as bad if not worse that even before.

You can argue he never had it to begin with, you can argue he did and that concussion changed him, you can argue our staff stripped it out of him, etc...but whatever the reason, he doesnt have the moxy necessary to be a starting QB in the NFL right now. Its rare a QB ever gets that back once he is "shot", assuming he ever had it at all. If they do find it again, it usually takes a fresh start some where else.

Trents biggest problem is that he doesnt have an Arm that can make up for the deficiencies he plays with right now such as: poor field vision, inability to make quick decisions, poor timing, lack of pocket presence, and sheer lack of confidence/swagger. So, until he figures out how to fix those issues, he wont be starting any where in the NFL any time soon.

One more telling sign is this: When a starting QB gets benched on a team failing to live up to expectations, there is often someone on the team, if not multiple people, who stick up for him...I cant recall one Bills player or staff member that has pubilcly come out and said we have a better chance to win with Trent...no one on the staff or roster to my knowledge has said this that I know of, but I have heard some of them say that about Fitz...that speaks volumes

Trent Edwards has looked good at times, but has had the most inexperienced offensive line in the league, and one of the most injured, a change of offensive coordinators right before the season began, and poor coaching throughout his tenure here.

Before we toss him aside, yet another quarterback, we need to see if he has anything.

Some hall of fame quarterbacks, who didn't get their legs completely under them for several years, would have been disgarded if the mentality of some on this board had prevailed.

He should be starting. As I have said before, I think he will be good (for us or some other team) once he plays behind a competent NFL line.

On the other hand, I do not envy any QB who has to play behind our horrid line.

I agree, we need to see what Trent has. Unless you think Fitz is the long-term answer, which I do not. Trent's got one more year left on his contract, he'll definitely be around next year. Give him the last few games. Maybe give Brohm a few series if he's up to it, but do not just throw him to the wolves. I don't care if we win these last few games, with the exception of the Patriots game. A win there would be huge.

He has had 3 years. He has a ****ty throwing motion and pushes the ball. He is a coward that is affraid to actually take chances, this all stems from his college days as well.

We have seen the best he has to offer, time to ship his ass out

I agree, we need to see what Trent has. Unless you think Fitz is the long-term answer, which I do not. Trent's got one more year left on his contract, he'll definitely be around next year. Give him the last few games. Maybe give Brohm a few series if he's up to it, but do not just throw him to the wolves. I don't care if we win these last few games, with the exception of the Patriots game. A win there would be huge.

We already saw what Edwards has so/and what can possibly change ... It doesn't make any difference who plays QB because a few good passes in one game does not translate to a few good passes in another. AVP could probably play and look no worse than these two ... Hell even Kelly could don a Helmet and look better.

It's over for Edwards and Fitz. They are not starting QB's ... ever. There both back-ups at best

He has had 3 years. He has a ****ty throwing motion and pushes the ball. He is a coward that is affraid to actually take chances, this all stems from his college days as well.

We have seen the best he has to offer, time to ship his ass out

There you go, the kind of 'logic', knee jerk bs, that I mean: "he is a coward"!!

Edwards stands behind one of the worst offensive lines this team has had, the most inexperienced, stands in there time and time again, knowing he is going to be wrecked. That is the antithesis of cowardice.

But the irrational fans seem to running the team, not the irrational TO, so I assume the Bills will side with them and keep playing muscal quarterbacks.

It is the same kind of mentality that ran Todd Collins out of town, when we had our qb of the future right here years ago.

Here we go again...

we already know what he has to offer:

1 yard out patterns to the 4th string TE when he is standing still along the sideline so his only option is to go out of bounds or be tackled immediately...no need for anymore of that thank you...

Nobody said he's afraid of getting hit.

They said he's afraid of throwing interceptions. Responding to arguments that haven't been made doesn't seem very logical or rational.

I demand a refund. I was assured that threads like this would never appear on this board.

I was one of Trent's biggest boosters his 1st 2 + seasons, but he has played his way off the team in his 3rd season. The real test he has failed-he lost his team. Just listen to the other players the minute Fitzpatrick does anything positive-they praise Fitzpatrick while reading between the lines, they're putting down Edwards. Hate to say it, but it looks like a lot of players on this team just don't think too much of the guy. They're the guys who know him-live with him every day in practice, the locker room & gameday, and they have voted NO. The coaches agree with that assessment. One of the telling signs is Trent's reaction to adversity. The guy doesn't hold himself accountable nor does he seem to have the fire in his belly that leaders, which a QB must be, have. His personality is very much like Rob Johnson's. Just compare the players' reaction when Flutie replaced Johnson to when Fitzpatrick replaced Edwards and it's remarkably similar. A very telling remark was when Edwards said he is a Bills player, not a fan. Just think of Jim Kelly on the sidelines when he was hurt, or today as a retired player-Kelly was & is a fan because he loves football-something you just don't see in Trent Edwards. QBs who don't love football, beyond just about anything else, don't succeed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Who in the national media thought he had MVP potential last season?

I want to see some sort of proof that someone other then Bills fans thought that

We have seen 30 games from Edwards, the Bills know what they have, a guy who has taken a few shots to the head, has no confidence/ability to throw the ball deep down field, and can only excel if he can check down every play. What do they have in Fitzpatrick? Not much more except that he can toss the ball down field better and makes the "prima Donna" TO happy

If theres onw guy who should be starting, its Brohm, lets atleast see what he can do

It was all over ESPN for 2-3 weeks. Not saying it should have any merit, but it was said.

Whoever is left in the Bills front office, and whoever comes in will just have to look at last season to realize why Trent has to be let go (trade or waivers) before April. Watching a totally disinterested JP on the sidelines last year, and thinking of what a totally disinterested Trent next year will be like is enough data to get rid of him ASAP. Last year's lesson shows that you don't keep your failed ex-starting QB on the roster just because he has one year left on his contract. Besides, the Bills already have next year's #2 in Fitzpatrick. They're not keeping Edwards around in 2010.

There you go, the kind of 'logic', knee jerk bs, that I mean: "he is a coward"!!

Edwards stands behind one of the worst offensive lines this team has had, the most inexperienced, stands in there time and time again, knowing he is going to be wrecked. That is the antithesis of cowardice.

But the [i]irrational [/i] fans seem to running the team, not the irrational TO, so I assume the Bills will side with them and keep playing muscal quarterbacks.

It is the same kind of mentality that ran Todd Collins out of town, when we had our qb of the future right here years ago.

Here we go again...

Adios credibility! <_<

Jeezus christmas don't you think if Edwards was the answer he would be starting? Why is it so effing hard for some of you figure out why he is not starting.

I'll bet $$$ that Edwards is playing in the UFL next year, maybe. It's no guarantee though.

Heres the bottom line. It doesn't matter who the quarterback is they are going to look bad. We will not be able to accurately study Trent Edwards because we have a bunch of hand me down offensive lineman in the game. Our line is the worst in the NFL. We cannot run; without a running game teams can just pin their ears back on us. Every damn time we go back to throw it has to get out of the QB's hands before the wideouts even finish their routes. Fitz tried to look deep several times Thursday, but everytime he did he got crushed. Get some linemen in here and then we can talk about QB's. Edwards has digressed and the reason he has is because of the constant heat put on him by defenses, "tell me your timing wouldn't be off if you're hurried all the time". Then when he has that once in a blue moon protection he still throws bad because his timing has gone to hell. I don't believe to many Qb's would play well in Buffalo. Peyton and Brady would probably be considered average behind this awful thing we call an offensive line.