OL or QB?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kent Hull was one of the best Centers in league history. Just want to put that out there.

this thread poses a very good question. which comes first, the OL or the QB? an argument can be made for either. but i think either side you choose, you have to have a good/great X and at least a decent Y. you cant put a great QB behind a HORRIBLE line, or a horrible QB behind a good line. neither will really work.

that being said, I think that when healthy, we can have a decent line. which could be made good/great with only one or two additions (tackles). i dont think we have a good/great QB on the roster right now.

as far as what we do in the draft, that depends on who is available when we pick. but I would plan on getting a franchise QB first, then going OL/DL/LB through the rest of the draft. but that is obviously subject to change depending on who goes when.

Anyone who thinks a QB can play without blocking is revealing how little they understand football.

PTR

bull ****.

See: The NE offensive line that protected (er I mean KILLED) Bledsoe and Brady in the same year. First few games = dreadful. Rest of season = Super Bowl.

A good QB (Brady, Roethlisberger, Ryan) can make an average to bad OL look like the Hawgs. A bad QB (Bledsoe, and innumerable others) can make a average to good OL look like hot stacks of dung.

QB > OL

And in order to not repeat myself...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1658769

To think that the QB is not the most important component of a football team (in terms of player personnel) is to ignore everything blatantly evident in today's NFL.

Links provided!

P.S. to those that disagree, I challenge you to produce any stitch of statistical evidence that supports your stance, as those of us that lie in the opposing camp have done so ardently.

QB > OL

And in order to not repeat myself...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...t&p=1658769

To think that the QB is not the most important component of a football team (in terms of player personnel) is to ignore everything blatantly evident in today's NFL.

Links provided!

Stop making sense, damn it. Anyone just needs to look at New England's first SB team to see the truth.

The NFL is a QUARTERBACK league, not an OL league.

1) stop it with all the bring in McNabb crap. Im sick of other peoples leftovers. :D

2)Pittsburg's OL for the last 5 years gave Rothensberger his rings. Yeah he has been great but it was the time that he gets that cause his greatness. :death:

I sincerely hope that's sarcasm, because Pittsburgh's line has given up 49 (4th most in the league), 47 (7th most), and 49 (4th most) sacks the past 3 seasons (2006-2008, respectively), and currently has allowed the Xth most in the NFL with 29 sacks allowed (7 fewer than Buffalo, a 0.64 per game difference).

If you're being serious, then I weep for your cognitive intelligence.

If you're joking, then touche', I enjoyed it!

This O line will be much better next year with the injured players back and the young guys with some experience...it wont be as bad as it is this year.

Any one who says a QB cant play behind a bad line hasnt seen Aaron Rodgers play this year as just one example. O line is certainly very important, but there is a reason the QB position is the highest paid and gets the most press...because its the most important position in football. A good O line wont make a bad QB any better, but a good QB can make a bad O line look good and still be very productive.

Most importantly with our specific needs...a quality QB would more significantly impact this team next year over another OL player. We definitley need to add a LT in draft or FA, so if we go QB in round 1, then we should most certainly look at trading up for a LT or going LT in round 2 (unless we pick up someone in trade or FA).

If you look around the NFL today, all of the top teams have premier QB's running the ship and many dont have anything better than an average O Line, and some even have poor O Lines. There would be very very few people, if any, that would take the games best OL over Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, or even Rivers and there is a reason for that.

A franchise QB is who we need to draft in the first round. We can pick up quality OL players in free agency, but the same cannot be said of a franchise QB.

And if we do draft only OL first, we will be good enough to go 8-8, but no farther. This will have us picking around spot 15 for the next few drafts - which will see us miss out on a Big Ben type and settle for a JP type (again).

And if you say a franchise QB would be killed behind a subpar line, this is why you have them sit and develop a year behind a veteran QB as the front office continues to improve the OL.

QB play is the difference between winning and losing. Sure an offense is going to be better with a solid o-line but a good QB can win with what he's given. I suppose every elite QB that has played in this league, has been blessed with a solid o-line his entire career.

Peyton Manning would have this team in contention this year. As would a dozen or so other QBs around the league. If you want to contend long term and ASAP, you have to get a QB.

Thought?

If we are truly blowing the team up as we keep hoping, we wont just cut everybody. We will trade them for personel/picks. IF we are lucky we can trade some of our picks to get either back into the first round(hopefully) or early second. With the right moves we might be able to make pretty good moves at both positions

Stop making sense, damn it. Anyone just needs to look at New England's first SB team to see the truth.

The NFL is a QUARTERBACK league, not an OL league.

Conveniently forgetting most other SB winners that had huge awesome OLines. How about the ones that ownded the Bills in their SB's? Bills fans, more than any other, should know this works. What about the line that Dallas destroyed us with? Or the Redskins? The great oline that the Giants had and helped friggen back up Hostetler and way mediocre recievers win the SB.

Round 1 likely available: Okung, Trent Williams, Charles Brown LT's and Jake Locker/Colt McCoy QB's.

Round 2 likely available:Jon Asamoah/Selvish Capers LT, Maurkice Pouncey OC and Tim Tebow QB.

Round 3 likely available: Tony Pike QB Mike Johnson OG

I'll go with Jake Locker QB in Round 1, OC Maurkice Pouncey in Round 2, and OG Mike Johnson in Round 3.

Take care of OLB in FA.

I sincerely hope that's sarcasm, because Pittsburgh's line has given up 49 (4th most in the league), 47 (7th most), and 49 (4th most) sacks the past 3 seasons (2006-2008, respectively), and currently has allowed the Xth most in the NFL with 29 sacks allowed (7 fewer than Buffalo, a 0.64 per game difference).

I like the Lions in the playoffs too. They are getting hot!

Just because he got sacked does that mean he sucks or the line sucks? Also a SB or two. You guys that look at the tree instead of the whole forrest blow my mind. Im no stats man like you Im sure but how bout the touchdowns. How many of those has he drove. I suppose you can give us all that info too. Also how long was he in the pocket waiting for the receiver to get open? Who were the opponents? What I am saying is I dont care who your QB is. If he has no supporting cast he will be as bad as the rest. Chain is only as strong as the weakest link buddy.

Dont cry for me bandit. the other men will look at you funny

Anyone who thinks a QB can play without blocking is revealing how little they understand football.

PTR

this is true

but the supposed savvy Bills fan base will never be accused of being overly bright.

It's that stupidity that has allowed Ralph to function with a junior high quality team for most of the team's existence.

It is a outright sin that Brandon has brainwashed the lemmings that an NFL team can function at all without an OL or a front 7.

Those are kind of slanted stats though--Ben is notorious for holding on to the ball for far too long.

I think it depends on how far away you think this team is away from success. If you think it's a 1-2 year project, then I would draft the best available LT. If you think we're further away than that, I'd draft the best available QB first or trade down for more picks to get either a LT and then a QB in Rd. 2 or if one of the best QBs falls down to where we are, draft him and then pick a LT in the second.

In either case, our Mike Williams not withstanding - OTs tend to have better ROIs in terms of higher draft positions. I wouldn't overpay but I'd consider trading for a backup QB that comes from a franchise that has a good history with developing QBs. Some of the guys I've been intrigued with is Troy Smith (a bit short) and Seneca Wallace. Also I don't think you can underrate Brohm. If we get an offensive minded coach, his development may be re-energized.

Personally, I'd like to see Tebow or Pike in a Bills uniform. But I think the smart money is on us taking a LT, we just have too many issues. We may also need a dominant big ass DT.

C