OL or QB?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no right or wrong answer. As you could bring up examples that support both sides of the arguement. That said I'd take the T first. As look closely at how rookie QBs have played this year. They've been below average at best which is the case for most rookie QBs. Yes everyone will point to Peyton Manning and Big Ben but me I'd play by the law of averages and not hope that the QB we take proves to be the exception versus the rule. Of course I'll admit I haven't completely given up on Trent Edwards. Also it might prove wise to take a QB later in the draft (see Round 4-6) as you never know what you might unearth in the later rounds. At the very worse he doesn't make the final roster but because it's later in the draft it's not a big deal.

No, that is NOT what you are saying and have stood by the statement that Joe Montana would have been an "obsucre has been" had he gone somewhere else. You have time and time again attributed ALL of his success to Bill Walsh and the west coast offense.

Take note of that little arrow next to the name, date, time posted. If you click it, it takes you to the thread it is posted under. If you would care to read up a few posts, here is what I posted. For some reason it won't let me "quote -reply"

Sept 4th 2009 1:37 pm

I don't care where you played college ball, you seem so enamored by it that it makes you think you're superior to every other poster, get over yourself SKOOBY.

I think Joe Montana is one of the greatest QB's ever, it is just that he didn't achieve that acclaim by himself. Considering you played some college football it amazes me that you just don't get the TEAM concept.

Would Joe M have made it into the HoF playing for Arizona or Detroit? Like I stated, he went downhill after he parted from Bill Walsh and Jerry Rice.

Good to Great offensive lineman are often available through free agency.

Good to Great Quaterbacks are only available through the draft.

Therefore is a team needs both... there is only one choice.

I think teams like Denver, Jacksonville and even Dallas show you don't need great QBs to win. The truth is I don't think Trent Edwards is worse then guys like Orton, Garrard and Romo. The only issue is I don't think we're playing an offense that fits his strengths. As to me Trent would excel in a WCO. Also if he had a guy he could depend on at the TE position this offense might be able to turn the corner. As a lot of people forget how well Trent was playing the first two weeks and oddly enough we started to fall apart once we lost Derek Schouman. I'm not saying Schoman's a Pro Bowler but he was clearly the best TE we had and been hurting since we lost him. Just imagine how much better we could be next year if say get a guy like Owen Daniels at TE?

I think teams like Denver, Jacksonville and even Dallas show you don't need great QBs to win. The truth is I don't think Trent Edwards is worse then guys like Orton, Garrard and Romo. The only issue is I don't think we're playing an offense that fits his strengths. As to me Trent would excel in a WCO. Also if he had a guy he could depend on at the TE position this offense might be able to turn the corner. As a lot of people forget how well Trent was playing the first two weeks and oddly enough we started to fall apart once we lost Derek Schouman. I'm not saying Schoman's a Pro Bowler but he was clearly the best TE we had and been hurting since we lost him. Just imagine how much better we could be next year if say get a guy like Owen Daniels at TE?

I agree, look at Denver and Kyle Orton, last time I looked nobody was confusing him with Payton Manning, and yet they can win games with him at QB.

Tight end is another area the Bills are lacking in, they have neither a dominate blocker or pass catcher at that position IMO.

From my view Edwards started to play poorly after Bell was injured in the second game, QB's can take only so many hits before they start to get happy feet, see phantom sacker's, and lose the timer in their head.

The ineptitude from the front office / coaching staff with this years offensive line shouldn't be over looked either. They didn't even try and find a replacement for Jason Peters in the draft or free agency. Then they cut the right tackle just before the season started. It is almost like they wanted to blow up the offense and season this year.

I agree with your comments about Trent compared to the other QBs, however I would hate to see the WCO reinstalled in Buffalo. The bottom line is that the jury is still out concerning TE potential to be a bona fide starting QB in this league. Perry Fewell will not be the coach next year.. RW or Brandon need to step up and demand that Edwards start. Its in the best interest in the organization. My feeling is that Edwards is respected around the league and most believe his poor play is a product of coaching and the bad state of the team. I wouldnt be surprised to see the new coach come in and support Edwards as the starter.

Since so many posters are mentioning the Colts and Manning, let's see what Bill Polian has to say about this subject:

"The model hasn't changed," Polian said. "The things we do work for us. We have continuity. It starts with a great coach and a great quarterback. Without that, you're not going very far."

http://www.buffalonews.com/494/story/876639.html

Polian also said you can never have too many good OL's.

If I am building an expansion club in the NFL, it is as follows:

1) OL

2) D Backfield

3) 2 versatile rb's

4) QB

5) Sp Teams

6) Other areas

The Bills have ignored OL since TD fell into the franchise. For that main reason, no QB has flourished.

I agree with your comments about Trent compared to the other QBs, however I would hate to see the WCO reinstalled in Buffalo. The bottom line is that the jury is still out concerning TE potential to be a bona fide starting QB in this league. Perry Fewell will not be the coach next year.. RW or Brandon need to step up and demand that Edwards start. Its in the best interest in the organization. My feeling is that Edwards is respected around the league and most believe his poor play is a product of coaching and the bad state of the team. I wouldnt be surprised to see the new coach come in and support Edwards as the starter.
AFAIK the Buffalo Bills have never used the WCO. If The Bills utilized it instead of the crappy Mike Martz scheme they currently use, Trent Edwards might have played better, If I'm not mistaken It is what he learned while at Stanford.

Lots of posters have stated they don't want to see the WCO in Buffalo, and I don't understand why. The Packers, Eagles, Broncos,Seahawks,Raiders, Vikings,Texans all utilize it, or some form of it. If it was good enough for Brett Farve up in Green Bay, it should be good enough for Buffalo.

Really! You think that? He's not even respected on his own team.

For his poor play, oh, maybe it's smart defensive coordinators having an easy time gameplaning for someone who checks down 95% of the time.

He's just not a good QB, period.

I would take the best OL/DL available and try to pick up Jason Campbell- if he isn't in a west coast style offense, I think he could be good. I would trade Cleveland anything for the top pick to get Suh- our first plus Lynch, Schobel and Stroud would be fine by me. That kid is unstoppable