Darrelle Revis

In the 2007 draft it was reported at the time that the Bills selection came down to either Darrelle Revis or Marshawn Lynch.

The player personnel staff wanted Revis, Ralph wanted Lynch.

Here is a the analysis that Nolan Nawrocki wrote in Pro Football Weekly the day of the draft in 2007:

12. Buffalo — RB Marshawn Lynch, California

This was an owner’s decision, and like most decisions where owners get involved, a bad one, in my opinion. Lynch is talented, no doubt, but he comes from an inner-city background, much like Willis McGahee, and will struggle to fit into the culture established in Buffalo.

In the 2007 draft it was reported at the time that the Bills selection came down to either Darrelle Revis or Marshawn Lynch.

Here is a the analysis that Nolan Nawrocki wrote in Pro Football Weekly the day of the draft in 2007:

This was an owner’s decision, and like most decisions where owners get involved, a bad one, in my opinion. Lynch is talented, no doubt, but he comes from an inner-city background, much like Willis McGahee, and will struggle to fit into the culture established in Buffalo.

Rivas is an absolute stud and will be for years to come!

This was an owner's decision, and like most decisions where owners get involved, a bad one, in my opinion. Lynch is talented, no doubt, but he comes from an inner-city background, much like Willis McGahee, and will struggle to fit into the culture established in Buffalo.

There was much talk about Buffalo liking Revis.

Besides his character issues, there were warnings about Lynch possibly getting hurt because of some back issues. The back issues haven't surfaced, but as much as I hate to say it, we actually would've really benefited from picking up a secondary player.

I have an idea, let's go through every draft pick to see how smart we all are in hindsight.

What Ralph did re drafting Lynch isn't uncommon. Every owner wants to fill the stands, and a 1st round rb definitely excites the customer base.

It's not always the right way to go in the long run, certainly. Look at the CIN owner Brown (arguably, of the same philosophy as Ralph).

Traded up, and drafted Ki-Jana Carter over Boselli. Got Dillon, and spent $ for a very good run-block line - pass blocking, no. Drafted Kenny Irons #2, a few years back..with a then very effective Rudi Johnson on the team. Irons unfortunately suffered a career-ending freak injury his 1st game on the field. Insisted on qb Akili Smith despite NO's Ditka ponying up his entire draft to grab Ricky Williams.

hey in a 2007 draft game I draft Revis, Beason (CAR LB), Sears (TAMP OG), forget the rest but I think I got ATL FB Snealling(sp?).

Found it

Bills Draft:

024. BUF (f/NE(f/SEA)- Darrelle Revis-CB-Pittsburgh

033. BUF (f/OAK)- Arron Sears-OG-Tennessee

040. BUF (f/MIA)- Jon Beason-OLB-Miami (FL)

060. BUF (f/NE)- Tony Hunt-RB-Penn State

077. BUF (f/PIT)- Paul Soliai-DT-Utah

098. BUF (f/DET)- Johnnie Lee Higgins-WR-UTEP

129. BUF (f/OAK)- Joe Newton-TE-Oregon State

188. BUF (f/NE)- Ramonce Taylor, RB, Texas

197. BUF (f/NE(f/ARZ)- Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown

209. BUF (f/PIT)- Jason Snelling, FB, Virginia

Here are my other drafts from draft games.

11. Buffalo (7-9)-Derrick Harvey-DE-Florida

41. Buffalo (7-9)-Antoine Cason-CB-Arizona

72. Buffalo -- from Baltimore (5-11)-Mario Manningham-WR-Michigan

114. Buffalo (7-9)-Jerome Simpson-WR-Coastal Carolina

132. Buffalo (7-9) NFL Compensatory pick-Martin Rucker-TE-Missouri

143. Buffalo -- from Chicago (7-9)-Jermichael Finley-TE-Texas

179. Buffalo (7-9)-Geno Hayes-LB-Florida State

219. Buffalo (7-9)-Thaddeus Coleman-OT-Mississippi Valley State

251. Buffalo (8-8) NFL Compensatory pick-Kerry Brown-OG-Appalachian State

2009 (Before the Peters Trade so I didn't have pick 28)

11-Buffalo Bills-Malcolm Jenkins-DB-Ohio State

42-Buffalo Bills-Peria Jerry-DT-Mississippi

82-Buffalo Bills (Via MIA, DET, DAL)-Shawn Nelson-TE-Southern Mississippi

110-Buffalo Bills-Eric Wood-OL-Louisville

122-Buffalo Bills (Via HOU, MIN)-Tyrone McKenzie-LB-South Florida

162-Buffalo Bills (Via BAL)-David Veikune-DE-Hawaii

198-Buffalo Bills (Via BAL)-Anthony Hill-TE-N.C. State

223-Buffalo Bills (Via HOU)-Michael Mitchell-S-Ohio

240-Buffalo Bills (Via ARZ)-Gartrell Johnson-RB-Colorado State

And if we had used that pick on yet another CB this place would have gone batshit crazy.

The reality of the scenario is that we have a couple of pretty good corners that are either on IR or playing hurt right now. I don't think McKelvin is near Revis yet but McGee's a pretty damn talented corner. The Jets finally got a pick right, they don't exactly have the most stellar draft record either.

The player personnel staff wanted Revis, Ralph wanted Lynch.[/b]

If this isn't an indication of the lunacy of Levy/Jauron, what is? They wanted yet another corner? What freaking idiots.

You could go down the list and see numerous Bills failures under the current regime. How about McCargo and Losman? Or maybe Maybin and McKelvin? etc. etc.

The organization is a laughingstock!

If this isn't an indication of the lunacy of Levy/Jauron, what is? They wanted yet another corner? What freaking idiots.

While you don't want to overdraft a position, we had room for him. I would have taken J stewart and Revis over Lynch and McKelvin.

In the end, the team MUST hit on their 1st round draft picks, regardless of the position. I would say it is better to take someone you think will be a stud instead of someone who has some issues but you hope can be coached up or whatever to work on your team.

In the end, I think our draft last year was outstanding because we were able to get some decent linemen as well as take a db who is an impact player so far in his career. Hopefully Maybin will develop and Wood will continue to play well.

But if last years draft is any indication, you should be camping happily again.

The Bills actually NEEDED a CB at the time.

Having the best CB in the NFL on your roster isn't a bad thing.

Obviously, if we had taken Revis we would not have taken McKelvin the following year.

I didn't bring up this story to rewrite history, more than anything it's just an example of how a meddlesome owner

can block the progress of his team.

The Bills actually NEEDED a CB at the time.

Having the best CB in the NFL on your roster isn't a bad thing.

Obviously, if we had taken Revis we would not have taken McKelvin the following year.

I didn't bring up this story to rewrite history, more than anything it's just an example of how a meddlesome owner

can block the progress of his team.

Doesn't matter brother. The lines were horrid.

http://www.drafthistory.com/years/2007.html

Staley and Grubbs went at 28 and 29. Woodley and Harris went mid second round. Levy/Jauron wanted yet another corner after stocking the secondary in 06. Absolutely nuts.

As if we needed another Corner.....

IMO Revis is as over rated as they come. He has gotten high praise since day one but all my memories of him were letting WRs catch TD passes. Apparently this year he has been better, but I attribute that the the Jets D being so good as one unit, not him individually. I think I could have shut down TO/the Bills Offense at this point. McGee is hands down a better corner IMO.

I really really wanted Willis, but when he was selected I would have taken Beason. We needed a stud LB and let a great one pass us by (again). Mike Mayock rated Beason as the top LB so it would not have been a reach. You never draft RBs in the first half of the 1st round unless its Peterson/Sanders/Dickerson etc. RBs are a dime a dozen and only produce for 4-5 years and are more a product of the OL play than anything else. Ray Rice was a second rounder. Steve Slaton a 4th. Willie Parker undrafted. Fred Jackson undrafted. Frank Gore a 2nd or 3rd I believe. Tashard Choice 5th. I could go on all day. The high first round is for HOF RBs. Lynch is good but no HOFer....

We then could have saved a pick and not traded up for Poz. Maybe he falls to our origanl 2nd rounder and we take him anyways, or maybe he is gone and we ended up with David Harris - who is better than Poz. Or we end up getting Lynch anyways. Who knows how it pans out, too bad it always pans out worse for the Bills...