face it

While we are bidding to get Shanahan and Schottenheimer out of the nursing home, Fewell may perform well the rest of the season. He has a nice background as a defensive co-ordinator, is enthusiastic and would have won with what had been a loser team with no offensive line, a mediocre qb and a defense about as riddled with injury as you can get.

He will be an NFL head coach.

That being the case Shanahan comes in with a mediocre track record in his last three years as a head coach, nothing to indicate energy or inclination to work with a sub-par team.

I for one would hold off on any coaching decisions until we have a new GM and we have a good opportunity to assess Fewell and decide whether to offer him the job and lock him into Buffalo.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are bidding to get Shanahan and Schottenheimer out of the nursing home, Fewell may perform well the rest of the season. He has a nice background as a defensive co-ordinator, is enthusiastic and would have won with what had been a loser team with no offensive line, a mediocre qb and a defense about as riddled with injury as you can get.

That being the case Shanahan comes in with a mediocre track record in his last three years as a head coach, nothing to indicate energy or inclination to work with a sub-par team.

I for one would hold off on any coaching decisions until we have a new GM and we have a good opportunity to assess Fewell and decide whether to offer him the job and lock him into Buffalo.

off of two games? questionable...if he isn't then what? posts like these seem pointless to me, if he isn't are u going to leave the board forever or something?

off of two games? questionable...if he isn't then what? posts like these seem pointless to me, if he isn't are u going to leave the board forever or something?

Lets wait for a few more victories before we nominate him for a HOF coaching career

Would have won what? Division? Conference? Championship?

Has he shown anything to indicate he won't work for a subpar team?

:cry:

I'm glad you're not making the decisions at OBD...That's about all I can say... ;)

It would be for a college team if he were to be HC anywhere other than the Bills next year...

My exact thoughts - his track record as a coordinator is not that strong - his defense has never been dominating and he does not come up through a recognized HC channel (i.e. worked under a GM/ HC who is seen as a developer of HC talent).

That being the case Shanahann comes in with a mediocre track record in his last three years as a head coach, nothing to indicate energy or inclination to work with a sub-par team.

Jeez tenny... I think you are underestimating Shannahan quite a bit, and based on what he has done so far, maybe overrating Perry Fewell. I will admit PF has revived my honest interest in the team for the rest of this season (as opposed to feeling obligated), but he has coached two games agains pretty middle of the road NFL teams, and come out .500. Now, that is a far cry better than his predecessor, but, in the back of my mind, I still have questions about Fewell. Namely, how married is he to this awful (IMO) defensive scheme? I have no doubt that he is a quality guy... but I am not ready to hand over the keys just yet, if someone of the caliber of Shanahann could be had. Lets try to enjoy these last 5 games (we deserve a break from all the misery), and see how it all plays out.

My exact thoughts - his track record as a coordinator is not that strong - his defense has never been dominating and he does not come up through a recognized HC channel (i.e. worked under a GM/ HC who is seen as a developer of HC talent).

Agreed...

Even when his Defenses have played well, all too often they give up that one Drive in the 4th Quarter that costs the Game...Fewell has done OK with what He's been given talent-wise...But it's just OK...Nothing more...He's had quite a few cracks at NE's Offense and has come out on the short side every time...And The Pass Rush provided has almost always been poor...He has a #11 Overall Pick who He can't find PT for...etc...etc...

I'm not sure when ALL Bills Fans are going to stop accepting mediocrity...I'm sure the day is coming...One day soon I hope...But reading these "Fewell may be our next HC" threads makes me wonder if it will ever happen...We'll see... :cry:

I agree with this point completely. Without a competent GM, any HC we hire is doomed to failure.

Face it. Bills fans, and really 99.9% of all football fans, don't know talent if kissed them on the lips. All they know is what ESPN tells them. To them fame = talent. Anyone you never heard of can't possible be any good. Perry Fewell could win the rest of his games and WGR and Jerry Sullivan will still think "so what?" Why? Because everyone assumes anyone already on the Bills has the stink of failure all over them. That, and no one on ESPN is drooling over Perry Fewell. Meanwhile this mess of a team has done a complete one-eighty under Fewell, but who cares, right?

PTR

Face it. Bills fans, and really 99.9% of all football fans, don't know talent if kissed them on the lips. All they know is what ESPN tells them. To them fame = talent. Anyone you never heard of can't possible be any good. Perry Fewell could win the rest of his games and WGR and Jerry Sullivan will still think "so what?" Why? Because everyone assumes anyone already on the Bills has the stink of failure all over them. That, and no one on ESPN is drooling over Perry Fewell. Meanwhile this mess of a team has done a complete one-eighty under Fewell, but who cares, right?

PTR

Only thing is you are pretty much always wrong when it comes to the Bills. :cry: Common sense would tell anyone to wait longer than just two games before annointing him the Chosen One.

I agree with this point completely. Without a competent GM, any HC we hire is doomed to failure.

I may be wrong, but it seems like Ralph is wanting to hire someone who will fill both roles... that is what took Holmgren (theoretically) out of the Bills mix, he only wants to be a GM. I also think

PTR

We'll see if it's a complete 180...I think the Jury is still out on that...And even if so, San Fran had that type of turnaround under Singletary last Season, how is that working this Year?

There are no guarantees regardless, but I'll take My chances with Shanahan, Holmgren ( I know he's not coming to Buffalo), Cowher and even Billick over Fewell anyday...And it's not cause they are ESPN endorsed or anything like that...Give some of us a little credit PTR!!! It's because these Guys are PROVEN winners in the NFL...Now...If you want to argue Fewell vs. Fassell, or Fewell vs. Jauron, fine...But Fewell vs. Shanahan or Cowher??? Seriously? :cry:

Dude....:cry:

His defense ranks last against the run in the NFL and have historically been in the bottom half of the league. He is 1-1 as an NFL head coach, beating a team which was likely not going to the playoffs. I like the guy, but lets be serious. He'll be coaching DBs someplace next season.