LOST...Season 6

duey

OK, it's officially Tuesday again.

There apparently will not be a repeat of "Ab Aeterno" this week. "Dancing With the Stars" is scheduled for 8 p.m. :thumbsup:

LOST 6.10 | "The Package" | 9 p.m. ABC

While Sun and Jin continue to search for each other, the Locke-ness monster faces his enemy.

-----

Another note that seemed to go unmentioned (or at least I forget seeing it mentioned)... The Black Rock purportedly was sailing from an island off of Spain to the "New World." So, unless there was a serious detour, the Island at that point was located in the Atlantic Ocean.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There apparently will not be a repeat of "Ab Aeterno" this week. "Dancing With the Stars" is scheduled for 8 p.m. :thumbsup:

-----

Another note that seemed to go unmentioned (or at least I forget seeing it mentioned)... The Black Rock purportedly was sailing from an island off of Spain to the "New World." So, unless there was a serious detour, the Island at that point was located in the Atlantic Ocean.

not sure that there is a lot to read into regarding the mismatched info on the Black Rock, other than it wasnt planned out very well.

we know that when Widmore is at the auction, the guy says the Black Rock's last voyage was in 1845. however, i think that was simply a production oversight as the famous dynamite on board wasnt even invented until 1867. I think the change of dates in this episode were to simply bring the timing back to the correct year.

As to the Black Rock comment, something is off about MIB and Jacob's conversations regarding MIB's desire to kill Jacob. If we are to assume, then, that they were observing the Black Rock on the beach in S5 finale, MIB's desire to kill Jacob seemed like it was old news to Jacob, as if they'd had the conversation a million times. However, after Richard actually tries to do it, when Jacob talks to MIB later in the episode, he seems taken aback that MIB attempted to kill him. The tones of the conversation don't really add up, unless, perhaps, Jacob didn't really believe MIB would ever go through with it and Richard's attempt kind of woke him up, or something.

Could Jacob have been a replacement candidate for the previous "keeper" and this was his first day (or so) at the position?

We know there are only 6 (actually 4) candidates left to replace Jacob, but then when someone does replace him, THEY have to start finding their replacement candidates as well, and the whole thing starts over. So the key is to have your candidates in place before MiB can find another loop hole.

maybe Jacob isnt the original keeper to begin with.

There apparently will not be a repeat of "Ab Aeterno" this week. "Dancing With the Stars" is scheduled for 8 p.m. :rolleyes:

-----

That is interesting about the Tenerife - New World sailing locating the Black Rock in the Atlantic. I never thought of that.

That is a bummer about Dancing With The Stars. However, while the notes in the "enhanced" episodes were very useful at the beginning of the season - mostly as a refresher - their utility has decreased steadily each week since.

not sure that there is a lot to read into regarding the mismatched info on the Black Rock, other than it wasnt planned out very well.

we know that when Widmore is at the auction, the guy says the Black Rock's last voyage was in 1845. however, i think that was simply a production oversight as the famous dynamite on board wasnt even invented until 1867. I think the change of dates in this episode were to simply bring the timing back to the correct year.

I find that oversight hard to believe about the Lost brain trust. I'm leaning more towards a faked paper trail. I've read that slave trading was abolished on English vessels in 1807.

But that does lead to the question, if you go to that trouble, why not change the name and registry location listed on the stern?

-----

As we have seen in the past, the island can move. So there's no telling where the island was at that point and time....

But here's some information from another forum:

In the 1800s the term "New World" was most commonly use to refer to South America or Australia and Oceania.

The Spanish and Portuguese would often refer to the new world as South America, likely to be what Richard was referring to.

However, England and Netherlands would use the term new world to describe Australia and the rest of the sea continent Oceania (now referred to at Australasia).

As the Black Rock was an English ship, my guess is it was heading to Oceania. On route, it would pass Tenerife as it sailed sound around the bottom of Africa.

It would then journey across the Indian Ocean, where Madagascar lies, and where the Black Rock journal appeared after the ship went missing.

So I would guess the island either appeared in the Indian Ocean in the past, or the Black Rock made it all way to Oceania, which puts it in the same pacific waters where the island was when oceanic 815 crashed (eg Fiji, Guam etc etc).

I find that oversight hard to believe about the Lost brain trust. I'm leaning more towards a faked paper trail. I've read that slave trading was abolished on English vessels in 1807.

But that does lead to the question, if you go to that trouble, why not change the name and registry location listed on the stern?

well, given that there are only 9 episodes left, not sure we'll really know either way. if it isnt addressed, im just going to assume it was a error. it DOES happen, even on LOST. no biggie really.

You give the LOST brain trust way too much credit. With 9 episodes left, do you really think the minutia of the log and the album Desmond was listening to when Jack came down the hatch and on and on are all going to be completely revealed?

As we have seen in the past, the island can move. So there's no telling where the island was at that point and time....

But here's some information from another forum:

Point taken about the "New World." Thanks.

But it figures that the island has, in fact, moved since Richard arrived. What of the polar bear with the DHARMA harness found in Tunisia? My guess is that after after the Purge in '92 and after Charles Widmore was banished shortly thereafter... the Others took over the DHARMA stations, they sent that polar bear down to move the island to try to ensure that Widmore couldn't get back.

First, the annoying V logo in the lower right corner... for the entire show. At one point, it obscured what Sun wrote on the paper to Jack. WTF? Really missed seeing the repeat beforehand. :thumbsup: ABC.

Our first sideways flash... actually, a continuation of one... where the outcome doesn't look so good. You just knew that was going to happen. Kind of an amalgamation of what happened to AnaLucia and Shannon in the original timeline.

First, it drops that in sideways world, Jin and Sun are not married. They're just gettin' jiggy with it, Sun is preggers and her father hired Keamy to kill Jin. So, if we're still running with the speculation that Sideways world is what happened if Jacob had never touched them, then Jacob's touch may have caused Jin's infertility in the original timeline.... But wait. There's more than that. Jacob touched Jin and Sun at their wedding. They aren't married here. So, the point of timeline difference/deviation goes further back.

But it also raises the question whether this was Mr. Paik's plan in the original timeline. Jin is still delivering a watch to someone. I don't think we ever learned about money, but then again, Jin hadn't gone through LAX customs to find any, b/c 815 crashed. We know that the Korean-speaking white dude was following them to make sure Jin made delivery. That's about as much as I want to dote on the sideways world right now.

Open with night-vision goggle view. Widmore's group overtakes the Smoking Club (minus the man himself) with tranquilizer darts, and they take Jin to Room 23, where he's asked to confirm the location of energy pockets. Interesting how Widmore noted that it was all out of order from the timeline... as if he's got a set knowledge of how events are supposed to go. Per some of my prior writings --- especially re: Ben's visit to Widmore's penthouse, his distinct selection of certain people, and my own ideas of Others tinkering at the Orchid station, and this all being part of the "Secondary Protocol" (of which Keamy and the freighter captain got info on the first step of many) --- I think he does.

The first confrontation b/w Flocke and Widmore, through the pylons. If they do have a plan for his capture, why didn't they do it then? I guess the obvious answer is, they're waiting for something.

Ominous bit b/w Flocke and Claire: 'After I use Kate to get me the three I need' you can kill her and make a skeleton nanny for your skeleton baby. In case you're still confused, Flocke/MIB is playing them all off of each other and it looks like he will leave no one standing --- even people on his side.

Desmond is "The Package." Didn't exactly come out of left field with that. Which has me thinking back to Daniel Faraday, and Doc Jensen's theory that I expounded on upthread, whereby Faraday's transported consciousness is at least part of Smokey's make-up. Perhaps Widmore intends to use Desmond, as Dan's journal entry put it, to create a constant for him. Just my first thought.

It would seem to me that Flocke wants (and probably needs) Jacob and all of the candidates dead before he can leave the island. Or at the very least, "crossed off the list". I don't think he can leave until they are all out of the picture. He still needs Kate to lure Jack in.

Good write up ... I can't say too much about this one because of coming events. And I have some personal misgivings about this episode in particular that have nothing to do with the storytelling.

That said, let me throw a couple things out there.

1. Great writing/filmmaking with FLocke coming to Jin in the Garden (the Devil visiting Jesus before his execution) and offering his hand. Then, Sun taking Jack's hand on the beach. It was a nice touch.

2. Sun not speaking English in sideways world and now on the island -- it's the first time we've seen Sideways world bleed (pun intended) into Island world. Usually it's the other way around. And, Flocke gave up quick on recruiting Sun. As soon as she was unconscious, he bailed? Or did he?

3. Was I the only one who burst out laughing during the Desmond/Sayid scene? It wasn't meant to be funny at all. But damn, it cracked me up. Unintentional humor at it's finest.

4. Best line of the season so far: "No because that would be ridiculous." Love Sawyer.

5. And finally ... no love for Mikhal coming back??? He was one of the "returning favorites" I mentioned a few weeks ago. I thought people would be way more excited about him ... and seeing him lose his eye again.

Check, on Sun not being able to speak English after the blow to her head. Could be aphasia as Jack said... or it could be a slight disruption of the timeline meshing e.g. that the part of her consciousness that still hadn't learned English in the Sideways world was creeping into the original timeline. I am still on-board the theory that when Jughead exploded, their consciousnesses, etc. all went to their Sideways selves c. 1977. The logic goes that, for example, Jack's consciousness merged in '77, and he spasmed and his appendix burst to reconcile with what happened on the Island. More and more, this explanation seems to account for the pre-Jacob's-touch changes.

Copy-edit: Flocke visited Sun in the garden. Interesting about the tomato. I didn't think they were native to Pacific islands.... Did she plant it from a DHARMA tomato seed? But also, it's a rough size and color equivalent to an apple, no?

This show is full of the biblical imagery, ain't it? But it's trending more toward a Garden of Eden theme. The Tree of Knowledge last week, Adam and Eve (still to be revealed).... Titus Welliver has said that he knows the name of MIB, but it hasn't been revealed yet b/c, well, they like slow reveals on this show. As Doc Jensen wrote last week, it could well be 'Cain' who was doomed to roam the earth and protected by God's promise that anyone harming Cain would have the damage returned on them sevenfold sevenfold. And so, Cain must be contained, not killed. LOST also plays into the Mark of Cain = Juliet's tattoo?

Ben seemed quite sincere when discovering Sun. Cue the accusations, protestations and the "because your lips are moving" line. I would love for Ben to become a force of good after all he's done. He's become one of my favorite characters in story, and it would be great to see his redemption. But this is Ben we're talking about. What's up his sleeve?

Mikhail doesn't get any love for a reason. We're supposed to hate him.

Mikhail doesn't get any love for a reason. We're supposed to hate him.

I don't hate Mikhail- he was a great character! Really surprised and happy to see him return.

I loved this episode, and I don't know why. I was just into it all the way. Also, at the end, I though Desmond was actually Sayid for a quick second (maybe it was the long hair), and it blew my mind, because I thought sideways world and island world were existing at the same time like matter and anti-matter, and.... then I realized it was Desmond. Oh well. It looks like some characters are going to die next week, unless the ABC promo is another tease [questions will be answered!], and it's about time.

Any tgreg, that Sawyer line made me laugh out loud- just the perfect line, and perfectly read by Holloway.

4. Best line of the season so far: "No because that would be ridiculous." Love Sawyer.

"Unless he's covered in bacon grease", ranks up there as well! :rolleyes:

Random ramblings...

-- Interesting the Jack tells Sun he's going to use the plane to get off the island and Richards plan is to destroy the plane to keep Flocke on the island. Looks like another Jack/"insert name here" confrontation coming.

-- It's not clear if Desmond was locked in the locker, not saying he wasn't, but they didn't show it. They always drugged people when bringing them on and off the island via the submarine, so it could be the sub was returning with Desmond still drugged. Daniel Faraday did write in his notebook "If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant."

-- Flocke says he needs all six remaining candidates in order to escape from the island and he needs them to come willingly. Why does Locke need all candidates to get on the plane together? Is it like a time/space thing just as all 6 were needed to get them back to the island? Does it imply they are all using freewill to reject Jacob?

-- Sun gets shot, Jin rushing her to get help. Paging Dr. Jack Sheppard...

These things are just too damn long.

PTR

Jensen's recaps have been largely sub par this season. He goes off on way too many tangents that have little to do with the show and are extreme reaches. Most of his writings this season have been along the lines of...

"...and did anyone catch that sawyer had a knife in his pocket during the episode? This is crazy because i used a knife to butter my toast this morning. And if you look it up, you'll realize that philosopher X said that people are like butter that melt in the face of anything hot, and by hot i mean adversity. And there was adversity on dancing with the stars last night, when Kate almost got voted off, which we can draw a parallel to Claire wanting to "vote" Kate Austen off the island by killing her. And there was a killing in the Bible in chapter Y, verse Z, which brings me to the crazy conclusion about the show! Sawyer is the devil!"

Jensen's recaps have been largely sub par this season. He goes off on way too many tangents that have little to do with the show and are extreme reaches. Most of his writings this season have been along the lines of...

"...and did anyone catch that sawyer had a knife in his pocket during the episode? This is crazy because i used a knife to butter my toast this morning. And if you look it up, you'll realize that philosopher X said that people are like butter that melt in the face of anything hot, and by hot i mean adversity. And there was adversity on dancing with the stars last night, when Kate almost got voted off, which we can draw a parallel to Claire wanting to "vote" Kate Austen off the island by killing her. And there was a killing in the Bible in chapter Y, verse Z, which brings me to the crazy conclusion about the show! Sawyer is the devil!"

in all fairness, the theories and discussions have basically ground to a halt this season as they stopped building mystery and started answering things. its almost to the point where we know just enough to be able to rule out crazy ideas, but not enough to come up with any guesses on what they are going to do over the last 8 episodes. the beauty of the first 4 seasons was that any idea someone came up with, you could go "yeah, maybe, i can see that". that isn't really possible anymore as we get down to THE final answer.