LOST...Season 6

duey

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'm honestly not trying to be the party pooper here, but I honestly thought that was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I haven't mentioned this until now, but I remember back a few years ago, after the show had become one of, or the, most popular show on tv....I read an article in EW where the writers admitted that they honestly had no real plan with where to take the story. Maybe TGreg can confirm or deny, but I recall them stating something to the effect of how they had the story mapped out for the first season or two, and then once it became huge they realized they had a problem....they didn't know what to write next.

I've thought back to this article a few times as I've gone through the seasons, but things were always interesting enough for me to just continue going along for the ride and enjoying it. But seriously, wtf was this all about tonight? We're a few episodes from the end and now it's as if a great big WTF just got splattered all over what I thought was going to be a somewhat cohesive ending the show.

How can there possibly be enough time left to provide answers to all these open ends?

If it makes you feel any better I feel the same way. I had a hunch they would never be able to tie every loose end, and I doubt they will in the last 3 hours.

PTR

Another thing I'll say that I'm surprised wasn't pointed out yet ...

It was interesting to see how the MIB's fake mother had MIB pegged to be the protector, not Jacob. Then, MIB went off the reservation and she was left with Jacob.

Flash forward now and it always seemed that Locke was favored by Jacob to be the chosen one since his birth. But when he died, Jacob had to go with Jack instead -- his second choice.

Read into it what you will, but I found it cool.

I chock it up to recurring themes/story lines. As it seems everything in this show is circular in some form another. I mean one thing not specifically mentioned is that Smokey, like so many other characters also has/had parental issues (see Locke, Jack, Kate, Claire, Sawyer, Hurley, Sun, Ben, Penny, Faraday and am sure more if really sit down and start to think things out).

Okay, I'm honestly not trying to be the party pooper here, but I honestly thought that was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I haven't mentioned this until now, but I remember back a few years ago, after the show had become one of, or the, most popular show on tv....I read an article in EW where the writers admitted that they honestly had no real plan with where to take the story. Maybe TGreg can confirm or deny, but I recall them stating something to the effect of how they had the story mapped out for the first season or two, and then once it became huge they realized they had a problem....they didn't know what to write next.

I've thought back to this article a few times as I've gone through the seasons, but things were always interesting enough for me to just continue going along for the ride and enjoying it. But seriously, wtf was this all about tonight? We're a few episodes from the end and now it's as if a great big WTF just got splattered all over what I thought was going to be a somewhat cohesive ending the show.

How can there possibly be enough time left to provide answers to all these open ends?

aj, i think a lot of your frustrations stem from how/when you watched the show. for those of us who have been along for the entire long ride, we understand that the real value of the show is in the weekly discussions, and theories, and coming up with outside stuff. for someone in your shoes, who just recently raced through the entire series, you are still in "devour and consume" mode. you just want the answers and you want them now, and everything better be answered. sorry my friend, but that is not going to happen. there will be a lot of loose ends which do not get tied up. you just have to move past them as they arent dire to the main story line that is being handed to us.

the writers/producers have created a whole new world for us. i liken it to being the new Star Wars, and hopefully we'll get as many fan-based offshoots of story lines and what not. but for now, you have to go with the story being told. it would be like watching the original star wars and going "wait, where did Uncle Owen come from? I need his story!". it could be important, but its really not. same goes for Walt, just for example.

agreed. we'll just have to "KEEP THE FAITH" that he has special powers given his position. and that is a fine explanation as far as im concerned.

There is a fine line between suspending disbelief for the sake of a story and ignore gaping plot holes. And it looks to me like Lost will have a few holes in it when they finally wrap.

PTR

There is a fine line between suspending disbelief for the sake of a story and ignore gaping plot holes. And it looks to me like Lost will have a few holes in it when they finally wrap.

PTR

yeah, but i think we've known (or were expecting that) since season 3. im truly fine with it as it leaves things open to discussion after the show is over.

yeah, but i think we've known (or were expecting that) since season 3. im truly fine with it as it leaves things open to discussion after the show is over.

I was just thinking about the post-season life of this thread. You have to figure discussion of the finale and related topics will continue for a while after the show ends. I'm looking for the six season complete package in BlueRay in time for the holidays? That might inspire further discussion. I guess I'm going to have a hard time letting go. :D

Count me in with the crown that is extremely disappointed. The "light" of the island is like the midi-chlorians and the Force in Star Wars. A bogus, cheap cop-out. I didn't have an issue with just trusting that the island had "powers" but i thought we'd get more answers in the way of what is exactly the purpose of the island, what did the numbers mean, what was the purpose of Dharma, etc, not some cheap excuse of the "light".

Last night's episode aside from that wasn't terrible, just horribly misplaced. It seemed as if the writers figured they needed to answer some questions, so they just jammed in a random episode just before the end. This episode would have been better had it been extrapolated, and had they shown it in season 5, or even earlier this year.

My biggest fear is that LOST is headed towards one of the worst endings for a series in TV history. Between last week's senseless, just kill some main characters for the sake of killing main characters episode, i fear that we are all in for a huge letdown in the final 3.5 hours. I hope to be proven wrong, but i have my doubts about how things are going to end.

Hitfix.com Exclusive Interview: Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse Talk "Across the Sea"

How much attention have you paid to the reaction to last night's episode?

Damon Lindelof: It's never exactly the reaction you're expecting. We knew it would be an episode that would be divisive. We've been talking since the beginning of the season about the idea that the great thing of doing a show on your own terms is you have no excuses, but it's also slightly terrifying that if you're a mystery show, there will inevitably be episodes that answer mysteries. That has the potential to frighten, terrify, make people hate. This was going to be the season where we said, "Whatever your theory was, our presentation of the endgame of the show may disprove your theory, so we're sorry if you don't like the fact that you don't get the Man in Black's name, but you don't get it." So that's going to piss some people off, and it's their right to be pissed off. In terms of what the specific reactions are, it's too hard to say 12 hours after the fact, and without seeing where this episode plays in the grand scheme of the series. That's all we can say.

For anyone who had issues with this ep, I'd recommend reading the above. 'Course, I recommend it to everyone else, too.

Doc Jensen's LOST recap: A Boy's Best Friend Is His Mother

OK. I'm going to be reading for the next three hours....

A bit of discussion from Vozzek69 on the DarkUFO LOSTpages. If you follow this link and want to avoid spoilers, don't veer off the linked page.

Which One of These Instincts Belongs To You Already?

In the centuries it took for senet to become backgammon, one constant appears on the island throughout its entire long history: boar hunting. I'm betting that both Jacob and his brother spent a lot of time chasing boar through the jungles of LOST island, and that this instinctual knowledge got passed along to John Locke right after arriving at its shores.

Think about that. Just as the boy in black already knew how to play his newly-discovered game, John Locke already knew how to hunt boar. In fact, he makes his first kill at the end of Tabula Rasa, shortly after encountering the smoke monster for the very first time. Seems like Richard was right in that John was always meant to be a successor, his only mistake being that perhaps he gave him the test a little too early [and whom Locke would be succeeding].

"They come, they fight, they corrupt, they destroy..." Mother's words would fall from the MIB's own lips, hundreds of years later. As successor, it stands to reason that he'd automatically acquire many of her ideologies. In similar fashion, as the smoke monster we've also learned that the man in black borrows things from those he would mimic or duplicate, perhaps even unknowingly. We've certainly seen him inherit the mannerisms, habits, and dialogue of John Locke. Apparently, the role of island guardian comes with certain baggage in the form of those who went before you - a definite reincarnation, of sorts.

BTW, It seems like most people are simply calling the Allison Janney character, "Mother."

And, Darlton said in the above interview that MIB's name will not be given.

And I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else reference "Pulp Fiction" regarding the tunnel light.

Hitfix.com Exclusive Interview: Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse Talk "Across the Sea"

For anyone who had issues with this ep, I'd recommend reading the above. 'Course, I recommend it to everyone else, too.

Thanks for posting this, some good insight there.

I can't believe we're not going to find out who was shooting at them on the outriggers! I don't really care, but I kinda do.

Anyway, maybe I'm a homer or a "fanboy," whatever the !@#$ that means, but I just trust Damon and Carlton to deliver the goods for the finale. I like this season so far, I've liked every season except for the first half of season 3, and I see no reason to believe I won't be happy with the series as a whole once it's all said and done.

I'm just calling him Esau.

okay, I have not seen this anywhere, and maybe I am nuts, but I was thinking Fake Mom was smokey, or at least smokey was in her body. I mean, could she really have killed and burned that entire village filled with men and weapons etc if she did not turn into smokey? Is that just way off??? Does it even have any significance?

That's also what I thought at first. But now I wonder if Esau didn't do it himself when he was "unconscious"?

BTW, It seems like most people are simply calling the Allison Janney character, "Mother."

And I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else reference "Pulp Fiction" regarding the tunnel light.

Repoman?

Thanks to all you guys who responded to me...I'm definitely not trying to be a detractor here at all, just really surprised at how much I disliked that episode, particularly after being so impressed with some of the others this season.

I have a question for you guys: As some of you know, and as was pointed out in the thread earlier, I saw episode one of season one only a few months ago and I've watched every episode of the show in a very short time, as opposed to most of you who have been involved for the last several years. Now you have some shows that are self-contained in a single episode, some that run for a full season and then conclude, and then you have shows like Lost that take a story line and run it from the first season until the last.

Now as tgreg pointed out a page or two ago, and something I TOTALLY agree with, is that good writing needs as solid start and a solid ending, and you worry less about the middle than you do those two things. For me, from a fan standpoint, if Lost ends up with more questions and open ends than it does explanations, I'll be disappointed but it's not a HUGE deal, I guess. But I can imagine that if I'd spent the last six years or whatever watching this show week in and week out, talking and theorizing about each episode and season, I'd be REALLY wanting to have some serious resolution to a lot of these main story arcs and plot points in order to feel satisfied.

A lot of you guys are cool with just accepting that certain things aren't going to be explained any more than they have been, and you're cool with an open ended finale that you can continue to talk about, debate, and theorize over. Like PTR and others have said, though, it's pretty tough to imagine that they're going to find a way in the final few hours to really tie up many of these loose ends...so isn't that going to frustrating as hell for a lot of you??

I'm cool with writers using symbolism and subtlety, and allowing the viewer to reach the proper conclusion based on the clues that are provided, i.e. not having to explain away every single detail as if we're 5 year old children. But it really is hard for me to imagine that that the writers themselves have a clear understanding of how all these different elements relate to one another, and exactly what that "solid ending" will be to go along with what was a damn awesome beginning. Are those of you who liked last night's episode really content with things remaining unresolved? And is the idea of continuing to theorize as to "what it all means" really that satisfying to you than it can outweigh the desire for a more wrapped up ending?

Wow, reading the responses of the producers makes me sort of feel as if I don't want to ever watch anything they're involved with again lol. I appreciate that they want to do things their way and tell the story in the manner in which they envisioned it, but they act as though they're dumbfounded by the fact that fans are curious and want to know more about the mysteries and the other elements that they have put in the show. That seems somewhat antagonistic to me, in all honesty. They bring up the Sopranos and Seinfeld finale and how they were both controversial, but neither of those examples is really pertinent here, IMO. David Chase put PLENTY of clues and hints into the Sopranos finale that, when you actually pick up on them (which I didn't at first, admittedly), it's very clear as to Tony's fate. Seinfeld had no long-term overarching plot that needed to be resolved in the finale. Every episode was self-contained and the show was about "nothing" to begin with. That's completely different than having a show that runs for six seasons, where you introduce all sorts of back stories, sideways time lines, supernatural mysteries, etc etc, and then act surprised (and a bit defensive) when there are those fans who are left saying, "wtf?"

If nothing else, I'm DYING to see these last few hours, lol...