DMQ

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
On NFL Total Access it was just reported by Jason La Canfora that the Bills have contacted Bill Cowher.

Nice!

I would hope so, awesome :)

Really? Ehh?

Who would get a wow from you?

To be honest I would be happy with Cowher. I'd personaly prefer Marty myself, as I feel he's done more with teams in similar need of building an identity, ala the Browns,Chiefs,Chargers. Where as I feel Cowher was more a product of the structure set up in Pittsburgh, and needs more around him in order to excell. I would be happier then hell if getting Cowher meant getting Dick Lebeau in here as well. I have no ideal hc candidate right now. Honestly more so than a hc I'd be happiest if the entire front office is re-staffed with football savvy individuals, and not the inner Circle of Trust.

When you tell a team, "when the season is over", what you're really saying, is that you'd rather coach for other teams. It's slightly better than saying "no", because at least this means if the only teams to fire a coach are Washington, Cleveland and the likes, we may somehow still be the best option.

Are you kidding me? So, what exactly then, would get you excited?

I'm not saying I dislike Cowher, I'm just not enamored with the guy. He'd be an obvious great upgrade, but we're talking about say Cowher with the level of assistant coaches we have now, or Marty with the level of assistant coaches we have now. Then I'll take Marty. I'm sorry if this offends anyone lol.

When you tell a team, "when the season is over", what you're really saying, is that you'd rather coach for other teams. It's slightly better than saying "no", because at least this means if the only teams to fire a coach are Washington, Cleveland and the likes, we may somehow still be the best option.

Agreed. I'll say this much: At least the Bills are trying. It has to be a two-way street, though, with the big names they're chasing wanting to come here.

Guest dog14787

Or you would like to see all the possible choices so you can pick the top team available.

10 million a year must spark a little interest in Bill Cohwer wouldn't you think.

Yeah, or, let's wait until the end of the season so that everyone bidding for his services will jack his price up even more. Washington and Dallas bidding against each other would be brutal and mean Cowher's pockets get stuffed even more.

I would obviously love to have Cowher, but I'd like Shanahan even more. I hope somehow a miracle is performed and the Bills get Shanny.

Although I like Cowher (i.e. I hated him as Pittsburgh's Coach) One thing that I'm troubled by was his overestimation of Kordell Stewart's ability as QB.

Well, Stewart was a onetime MVP candidate who helped lead the Steelers to the AFC title game in 2001, not to mention some other playoff appearances. He wasn't a complete waste.

I'd be happy with Coach Frankenstein. He'd certainly be a bigtime upgrade over 'The Mope' DIckless JAuron......

Agreed, my whole thing is it can't just be <insert big name hc and instant fix> It has to be almost the whole operation. As a whole as Bills fans, we'll be more excited when the front office gets replaced with real football guys, and we can compete on a yearly level with the likes of Belichick and Parcells year after year after year. One guy isn't gonna be Buffalo's football Jesus.

Yeah, or, let's wait until the end of the season so that everyone bidding for his services will jack his price up even more. Washington and Dallas bidding against each other would be brutal and mean Cowher's pockets get stuffed even more.

I would obviously love to have Cowher, but I'd like Shanahan even more. I hope somehow a miracle is performed and the Bills get Shanny.

Honestly, we need to pray that Dallas keeps Wade. A vacancy over there is our worst case scenario...

Dallas and Washington having a bidding war over Cowher will not just mean that Bill goes to one of those two teams, but the price of Shanny will go up as well.

Us vs. Washington, Cleveland and the likes isn't that bad because we actually will have the leverage of being not that absolutely horrible. (Trust me, we may be 3-7, but we've been in game [talent wise] against good teams NE, NO, HOU, JAX - where a better coach nets us a win)

As long as Dick Lebeau and Russ Grimm come with him sure. Otherwise eh

I agree with Sieve on this one. Yes he'd be an upgrade (who wouldn't?).

But the Steelers won a Super Bowl after he left with a first time head coach and an anonymous GM in Kevin Colbert. The reason for their success is their organizational excellence.

Cowher would be great but I think the point is that he's a bit overrated. In 15 years as Steelers' coach he took the team to 2 AFC Championships and 1 Super Bowl victory. Yes he's a good coach but he had great assistants and a great organization surrounding him.

One of the things I'm sensing quite strongly around here is that people evaluate coaches by their grimace (Gruden) or their jutting jaw (Cowher). Certainly these guys look the part, if looks tell us anything.

Guest dog14787
Honestly, we need to pray that Dallas keeps Wade. A vacancy over there is our worst case scenario...

Dallas and Washington having a bidding war over Cowher will not just mean that Bill goes to one of those two teams, but the price of Shanny will go up as well.

Us vs. Washington, Cleveland and the likes isn't that bad because we actually will have the leverage of being not that absolutely horrible. (Trust me, we may be 3-7, but we've been in game [talent wise] against good teams NE, NO, HOU, JAX - where a better coach nets us a win)

Yup, Jerry Jones is practically unstoppable when he wants something or someone and he's probably discretely contacted Cohwer and is already courting him.

Well, Stewart was a onetime MVP candidate who helped lead the Steelers to the AFC title game in 2001, not to mention some other playoff appearances. He wasn't a complete waste.

Yes, and if you don't think highly of his talent, give Cowher a lot of credit for getting the most out of him.

The irony is that Stewart's best year as a pro was in 2001, when Mike Mularkey was OC.

But the Steelers won a Super Bowl after he left with a first time head coach and an anonymous GM in Kevin Colbert. The reason for their success is their organizational excellence.

Cowher would be great but I think the point is that he's a bit overrated. In 15 years as Steelers' coach he took the team to 2 AFC Championships and 1 Super Bowl victory. Yes he's a good coach but he had great assistants and a great organization surrounding him.

One of the things I'm sensing quite strongly around here is that people evaluate coaches by their grimace (Gruden) or their jutting jaw (Cowher). Certainly these guys look the part, if looks tell us anything.

He took them to 6 AFC championship games in there, too. That's a lot of success.

Some times you need such strong willed coaches to set up the team for success with the next one. The Colts really benefited with the tough attitude of Jim Mora and so did the Steelers with Cowher. Cowher will bring the 3-4 defense and a run-first attritude to the Bills. He just needs to find a good QB and a good OC.

To be honest I would be happy with Cowher. I'd personaly prefer Marty myself, as I feel he's done more with teams in similar need of building an identity, ala the Browns,Chiefs,Chargers. Where as I feel Cowher was more a product of the structure set up in Pittsburgh, and needs more around him in order to excell. I would be happier then hell if getting Cowher meant getting Dick Lebeau in here as well. I have no ideal hc candidate right now. Honestly more so than a hc I'd be happiest if the entire front office is re-staffed with football savvy individuals, and not the inner Circle of Trust.

You rang? :)

I live in Dallas. There is no way that Jerry Jones will give complete (or even a lot of) control to any coach, He is the owner and GM. The coach, whoever it is, will have to play with the players that Jerry provides. Parcells was here and cleaned things up but Jerry appeared to drive him nuts in the end and he left.

Dallas has everything else - money, status, stadium, fans (almost as good as Bills fans) and an owner that really wants to win but that owner will run the show. The owner also hires the assistants, although he did back off on that some while Parcells was here. But a lot of the cronies are back now - Garrett, Campo...

Not all the big name coaches will work out here. Maybe not any. Probably why he has Wade. Also Jerry does not want to share the spotlight which is why he does not like the big name coach.

I don't see Dallas and Buffalo competing for the same guy.

VizslaFan

I totally agree with you. I'm not convinced Cowher is that great of a coach. He had a structure that was second to none in Pitt, with a future HOF DC in LeBeau (remember what he did in 2004 for us, pretty awesome for one year), a great OC in Whisehut, great OL coach in Grimm. That was a terrific staff.

Contrast that with Marty, who has worked in various scenarios with many different types of people on staff. I'd be far more excited by Marty than Cowher. Of course, Shanahan is the holy grail for me, but I'd be very happy if we played Marty-ball should Shanahan decide to go elsewhere.

On NFL Total Access it was just reported by Jason La Canfora that the Bills have contacted Bill Cowher.

Nice!

Yeah....I can hear the call now

"hello coach...this is Ralph Wilson....how about coming to the Bills and being our new coach

COWHER

"hahahahahahahahaha" *click* *Dialtone*

It is more than just the money to the big boys.......

Yeah....I can hear the call now

"hello coach...this is Ralph Wilson....how about coming to the Bills and being our new coach

COWHER

"hahahahahahahahaha" *click* *Dialtone*

It is more than just the money to the big boys.......

Side point - on your phone, do you get a dial tone right away when the other person hangs up? Because mine doesn't work like that and I've always wondered why it does on TV.

Although I like Cowher (i.e. I hated him as Pittsburgh's Coach) One thing that I'm troubled by was his overestimation of Kordell Stewart's ability as QB.

Exactly. Cowher has had some success in Pittsburgh , but you cannot overlook the fact that he has always had a stellar supporting cast. Although he would definitely be an upgrade over Jauron and the other coaching busts we've had the last decade , Shanahan is the way to go. His annual excellence in his running game has me drooling at the possibilities having Lynch and FJ running wild in November and December. Shanahan or bust!