Jerry Sullivan circular logic

PromoTheRobot

- Jauron blows...Ralph should fire him.

- Ralph needs to spend money to build a winning coach.

- No one would ever want to coach the Bills no matter how much you pay them.

- Ralph doesn't really want to pay these guys.

So what are the Bills supposed to do, Jerry?

PTR

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Jauron blows...Ralph should fire him.

- Ralph needs to spend money to build a winning coach.

- No one would ever want to coach the Bills no matter how much you pay them.

- Ralph doesn't really want to pay these guys.

So what are the Bills supposed to do, Jerry?

PTR

Agreed. Sulli-sheethead is a jerk.

If we sign Shanahan I hope he takes Sully to the woodshed during one of his press conferences. I'd love to see an exchange like:

Sully: Coach Shanahan, why didn't you do X, Y or Z?

Shanahan: Who the !@#$ are you? Are you new to sports reporting?

They could sell tickets to that :)

I like Sully. He may be a jerk, but he's usually right.

Agreed...what he said was he heard from a PROMINENT national football guy who talked to Shannahan and shannahan said there is no way hed come here but hell talk to us. I dont think that is THAT unbelievable. I would be more shocked ig he signed then if he didnt

Agreed...what he said was he heard from a PROMINENT national football guy who talked to Shannahan and shannahan said there is no way hed come here but hell talk to us. I dont think that is THAT unbelievable. I would be more shocked ig he signed then if he didnt

That and the fact that Lovie Smith's job in Chicago may be up in the air. Sully said that Shanahan is a "Chicago guy," and that is where Cutler is. I would think that Shanahan would want to go somewhere where he can bring in his own quarterback and have a chance to win. Chicago already has his quarterback in Cutler and have fewer holes than the Bills do at this point.

My point is that Sully only complains. He rarely offers an idea. But when he does, he contradicts himself in his next column. First he rails on about Jauron. Then when the coach is gone, he rails about how cheap Ralph is. Then he rails about how you couldn't pay a coach enough to join the Bills. So what is it going to be, Sully? Where's the road out of the mess? Or is just mumbling "Dooooomed, dooomed" easier?

As for today on WGR, all he did was relay the opinion of some unknown journalist. Was he someone who knows Shanny or just someone who is repeating what they heard on ESPN? We don't know. "Mr. Pipeline to the Fans" can't be bothered to do any annoying reportin' or fact checkin'. Then he won't have time to cry (still) about Brandon not talking to him.

PTR

That and the fact that Lovie Smith's job in Chicago may be up in the air. Sully said that Shanahan is a "Chicago guy," and that is where Cutler is. I would think that Shanahan would want to go somewhere where he can bring in his own quarterback and have a chance to win. Chicago already has his quarterback in Cutler and have fewer holes than the Bills do at this point.

Lovie Smith isn't getting fired. I think Clayton or someone reported that he has like 2 years and 11 mill left on his contract, and the Bears wont eat that up yet.

My point is that Sully only complains. He rarely offers an idea. But when he does, he contradicts himself in his next column. First he rails on about Jauron. Then when the coach is gone, he rails about how cheap Ralph is. Then he rails about how you couldn't pay a coach enough to join the Bills. So what is it going to be, Sully? Where's the road out of the mess? Or is just mumbling "Dooooomed, dooomed" easier?

As for today on WGR, all he did was relay the opinion of some unknown journalist. Was he someone who knows Shanny or just someone who is repeating what they heard on ESPN? We don't know. "Mr. Pipeline to the Fans" can't be bothered to do any annoying reportin' or fact checkin'. Then he won't have time to cry (still) about Brandon not talking to him.

PTR

I'm sorry, you lost me. Which one of the posters here is this Sully fellow you keep referring to? Or is he Sully an amalgamative refference to 90% of the posters here?

I like Sully. He may be a jerk, but he's usually right.

As one poster here characterized Sully, "Criticizing the Buffalo Bills is like shooting fish in a barrel."

Yes he is critical but I don't find him particularly incisive. A good writer would be ahead of the criticism at this point, trying to figure out a road map for success. A good writer would be playing GM right now.

I'm sorry, you lost me. Which one of the posters here is this Sully fellow you keep referring to? Or is he Sully an amalgamative refference to 90% of the posters here?

Would it really quash anybody's inferiority complex if Sullivan came out and wrote, "I absolutely, positively guarantee based on a seance I just had with Lou Saban that the Bills will sign Mike Shanahan." I mean, he's an idiot, right? :)

As far as the circular logic, the talking heads out there are using it. It boils down to the Bills aren't a good situation, so nobody with any ability would ever want to come to work for the Bills, so therefore the Bills aren't a good situation. <_<

Or the corollary to that: The Bills are one of the awful, have-not teams in the NFL, but I like Dick Jauron and thought he was doing a great job, so it was dumb to fire Dick Jauron even though they gave him 4 years and he was a big part of the crew that overhauled the team and left it worse than it was when he started. :wallbash:

Oh, you mean the guy leading the NFL in interceptions?

The fly in the ointment is that it will be really hard to convince anybody that things are going to change after 50 years. And even if Ralph is willing to change, the stability of the future of the team is uncertain.

Good point. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, and in dog years, Ralph is more than 13 years old. I've never had a dog live that long, let alone doing something different.

Good point. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, and in dog years, Ralph is more than 13 years old. I've never had a dog live that long, let alone doing something different.

gosh if people listen to sullivan on Shannahan over Schefter they are just dumb. consider the facts and the sources - schefter knows shanny VERY well. Sullivan? he knows some guy at a bar at cole's. i like his writing style, but cmon. the guy works for the buffalo news.. not exactly a springboard to national prominence. (unless your Vic Carucci, Jim Kelley, Tim Graham, etc etc)

He's probably just coming to the interview because he heard how great Buster & Dave's is.

Sorry but on this one I think Sully is full of @hit

- We are going to have a top draft pick....and this team isn't devoid of talent RIGHT NOW

- Loyal fan base

But the main reason....and in fact the ONLY reason someone like Shanahan would come here is if Ralph ponies up with the big money and offers complete control without the meddling.....that right there is going to be the determining factor.