Peter King on WGR

PromoTheRobot

and to think back in the mid 90's everyone wanted us to switch from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Now everyone wants to go the other way.

First off, we have NO LB so the 3-4 is gonna be difficult to work here. Second, out 4-3 sucks because the front 4 can't rush the passer with any consistency. Either way we need 4 or 5 new guys in the front 7! That's gonna be rough.

Exactly....it's going to be tough to make this transition right away. Plus, I don't think the defense is quite as bad as they look, since they seem to be on the field all the time. They're certainly not going to be confused with the '85 Bears, but there's some talent that could be built on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta recommend the ignore feature if you find particular posters so annoying that you're tempted to just respond with an insult. It'll make reading the site a lot more pleasant for you, you'll just see "You have chosen to ignore..." and it won't raise your blood pressure.

Trust me, I use it and it works.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I have to disagree with you. Look at the NFL right now. Compare the records of first-time coaches to ones with experience.

I know what Bills fans want a big name hire but the stats say a SB winning coach has never won a SB with another team. Never. So why do we want this??? What we really need is another Bill Polian. Then let him hire everyone.

PTR

Yeah, but Promo, there were very few SB winning coaches who were young enough to get another legit chance.

Most died, like Lombardi and McCafferty for instance, retired like Gruden, Noll, Levy and Dungy or are still with the team they won the SB with like Tomlin, Belichick and Coughlin.

Surprisingly few ever had a legit chance to repeat, something like 10 - 13 if I remember from the numbers I crunched about it a while back. Your odds are best getting a Super Bowl winner.

Still, I agree with you about getting a great GM first.

More than anything we need a draft like 1985 or 1987...

Wouldn't hurt.

Remember when everyone was so psyched about the 2007 draft. We got Marshawn, Poz and Trent. That looked awfully good the next year or two. Not quite so good now. Thrown in Dwayne Wright, John Wendling, Derek Schoumann and C.J. Ah You. Sigh.

there are enough QBs in this draft where we can grab a good one in the 2nd round. whether our fine staff can pick out a good one is a different story. We probably go OT in the first round. What sucks is we REALLY need LBs too. If we can take care of some of those needs in FA that would make the draft easier. But with this front office, probably shouldn't keep the hopes up.

they don't cut or trade them for piack. there are several good 3-4 OLB's in this draft to fill the void. plus 4-3 DT's can make good 3-4 ends....maybe McCargo could be useful.

How about we run a scheme that fits our personnel. It may have been a mistake to pick the Tampa 2, but let's not blow it up just because 3-4 is the fashionable scheme now.

Exactly....it's going to be tough to make this transition right away. Plus, I don't think the defense is quite as bad as they look, since they seem to be on the field all the time. They're certainly not going to be confused with the '85 Bears, but there's some talent that could be built on.

Maybe not as bad as they look, but the core is built on a foundation of mediocrity, and at best will be mediocre. I would like to see the group blown up, whether we change schemes or not.

Yeah your probably right, I do insult people more than I talk football. But to clear up the perception, I guess you would classify me as a reader rather than a poster. I spend every bit as much time on here reading as anyone with a lot of posts, if that makes sense? And when I read these guys posts after posts after posts after posts, just ruining my "reading" experience it just irks the hell out of me and I just have to type to let my aggravation out.

So I guess I can understand what you are saying about me, but as a reader I guess I feel just as much apart of this site as a reader than anyone that posts a lot. Then when I get on here to get my news daily and click from thread to thread and have to read the same guys posting ridiculous comment after ridiculous comment when all you want to do is read good football talk, I just loose it on these people.

Right, or maybe you're just a bonehead.

Here are your quotes to many different members, not just a few.

Well put, Dan. Two of those were directed at me, no less! Scoreboard!

Hunh? Denney weighs 264. That's way way light for a 3 - 4 DE. Denney is tall, he's not large.

I thought he was 276? That's what I remember him being listed at the last time I checked...five years ago. But even at 276 you're right: he's 6'7" and doesn't have the stout frame to be a 3-4 DE. Every off-season I hear how he's "bulking up" but I think that 'wolf' has been 'cried' one too many times. Patrick Kerney of the Falcons was able to make the transition, but not many guys can. And Denney, you certainly are no Patrick Kerney.

Right, or maybe you're just a bonehead.

+1

The best thing I heard King say was that Shanahan and his choice of DC were spending time this off-season studying the Steelers' 3-4 defense and would bring that wherever they go. The 3-4 is so much better - we just need the big plug in the middle.

and 4 good LB's.

Has any 3-4 enthusiast figured how Schobel and Denney will fit in 3-4?

Denney is actually a very good fit as a 3-4 DE he is extra tall and holds the line of scrimmage but not a top pass rusher.

In fact Tom Donaho traded up in rd 2 when he heard the Steelers wanted Ryan Denney. Unfortunately Tom D never calculated Steelers played a 3-4 and we played a 4-3.

Kelsay would likely be a casualty is a switch to 3-4....but Maybin to OLB would be huge beneficiary to such a switch.

Following this thread has been a good read, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents..... First, Denny's contract runs out at the end of the season so he will not be back reguardless of what D we run next season. Second, as long as we scrap the cover 2 I really don't have a preference on what D to go with but as long as we are talking 3-4, I don't think a switch would be as dramatic as some think. Finding a NT would be the key, but after that, it's not so bad: #1- stop the move Schobel to LB talk. He would be fine right where he is at as he is very good with leverage and with Stroud at LE along with a good NT we could be fine being a little light at RE. #2- goodbye Kelsay, you just don't fit anywhere in this scheme, and the jury will be out on K Williams and S Johnson to see if they can be capeable backups in the scheme. #3- Poz and Mitchell at the inside spots to start with but we'll be watching you closely...... :( #4- Maybin at an OLB spot but I'm not sure what side yet. #5- Find one more OLB and leave the secondary alone. So, really, that is only 2 immediate positions (NT and OLB) that need to be found immediately while other positions are evaluated. It's a very unclear future right now folks but for now I just felt like talking a little 3-4 for now. Let us all pray we get the coach and front office that this team needs...... :(