Peter King on WGR

PromoTheRobot

- Buffalo is not as unattractive a job as some fans think. Oakland is toxic. Buffalo is not.

- Don't get hung up on name coaches. The names fail just as often as they succeed.

- Suggested Mike Zimmer from Cinci, a DC with a Parcells pedigree.

PTR

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot to like about Zimmer. However, I am wary of hiring another DC to serve as head coach. This isn't because I have a problem with defensive coordinators as head coaches. If you look at the best NFL coaches many have a strong defensive pedigree.

But, a lot of these head coaches also have/had a very strong, independent play caller on the offensive side. Unless the Bills sign a strong offensive coordinator, I'm not sure I'm happy with a Zimmer-type hiring.

I'd prefer to spend the top money on the GM who will guide the football operations and structure the scouting system.

If thats in place then selecting a young rising Coordinator would be fine...they key is to choose the right coordinator...do you select a Mularkey? or select a guy like Daniels in Denver?

One key point with these "names" coaches. Is anyone else bothered by the fact they may only go where they perceive the situation is perfect so they can protect their own career W-L record?? What happened to having a coach believing they will be the difference maker and can make lemonade out of lemons....

If we had such a perfect situation...then anyone could lead the team to numerous wins....

I'd prefer to spend the top money on the GM who will guide the football operations and structure the scouting system.

If thats in place then selecting a young rising Coordinator would be fine...they key is to choose the right coordinator...do you select a Mularkey? or select a guy like Daniels in Denver?

One key point with these "names" coaches. Is anyone else bothered by the fact they may only go where they perceive the situation is perfect so they can protect their own career W-L record?? What happened to having a coach believing they will be the difference maker and can make lemonade out of lemons....

If we had such a perfect situation...then anyone could lead the team to numerous wins....

Lemonade out of lemons? Sounds pretty easy to me!

The best thing I heard King say was that Shanahan and his choice of DC were spending time this off-season studying the Steelers' 3-4 defense and would bring that wherever they go. The 3-4 is so much better - we just need the big plug in the middle.

The best thing I heard King say was that Shanahan and his choice of DC were spending time this off-season studying the Steelers' 3-4 defense and would bring that wherever they go. The 3-4 is so much better - we just need the big plug in the middle.

It was crazy to me how Jauron wanted to run a 4-3 in our division. I agree the 3-4 is much better, but it requires SIZE. You need to have a big nose tackle and linebackers who can really get a push on the O-line. The Bills as a franchise had a lot of success running it back in the day of Ted Cottrell.

Biggest reason I think a 3-4 is necessary is so you can move Maybin outside to be a blitzing line backer.

Terrance Cody, DT, Alabama

there are 4 big time NT free agents coming out this year...

Can anybody find out what year they got away from the 3-4, and what the record was since?

I believe the last year for the 3-4 was 2000. If memory serves, Gregg Williams started converting to the 4-3 almost immediately when he was hired in 2001.

- Buffalo is not as unattractive a job as some fans think. Oakland is toxic. Buffalo is not.

- Don't get hung up on name coaches. The names fail just as often as they succeed.

- Suggested Mike Zimmer from Cinci, a DC with a Parcells pedigree.

PTR

Names might fail as often as they succeed but I think the success rate for proven winners moving to other teams is still more favorable than first timers. I would want nothing to do with Mike Zimmer, and neither should any Bills fan. The time for experimentation is over.

Obviously, everybody wants to catch the young genius on the way up. But the Bills botched both of their recent shots at never before HC's and the non-name retread they just fired was a disaster. After Dave Campo, Dallas didn't keep hiring no-names, the got Parcells and got the organizaton going in the right direction. Sooner or later you have to let your organization get some traction, and while a retread like Shanahan might never recapture his SB winning touch, he would more than likely get the organization back to truly competitive football. Not just an unwatchable, statistically terrible football played conservatively enough to win 7 out of 16 games.