Hot Rumor on ESPNews earlier.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see anything about this on the boards, and I feel it certainly deserves a thread. I was just watching ESPNews, and during their "Hot Rumor" segment, they were talking about Dungy possibly beng interested in the Buffalo vacancy. Apparently, the rumor stems from a radio interview he did earlier today where he would not confirm or deny that he was interested in the Bills head job.

It sounds far fetched at first pass, but if you look at his previous two jobs, they would certainly be regarded as rebuilding projects. He is, by all accounts, a very humble family-man, and his values and appreciation of a strong community atmosphere may fit perfectly with the region.

Sorry for a lack of link. As I said, it was on TV.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Peyton manning as your QB, Bill Polian as the GM.

Yup PTR, I think your correct in assuming Dungy had some help along the way, but the same can be said for Cowher or Shanahn I suppose, they all had one thing in common when winning their championships and that's having some damn good QB's at the helm.

Payton and Polian were defenately a huge reason why Dungy looked so good in Indy. I think hes a good coach but obviously not a great one, or he would have beaten the Cheater more then he did.

I agree that a QB is important, but you cannot throw Shanahan/Elway into that conversation. Everyone in the world knows the real reason they were in, and won those Super Bowls was Terrell Davis. He was the most important part.

Payton and Polian were defenately a huge reason why Dungy looked so good in Indy. I think hes a good coach but obviously not a great one, or he would have beaten the Cheater more then he did.

I agree that a QB is important, but you cannot throw Shanahan/Elway into that conversation. Everyone in the world knows the real reason they were in, and won those Super Bowls was Terrell Davis. He was the most important part.

Walter "Payton"?

You know Dungy had a pretty mediocre record before he finally struck gold the Colts. Having Peyton Manning in his prime as your QB doesn't hurt. I would not get all sweaty over Dungy.

PTR

I'm not a huge proponent of Tony D, but what?

TB under Wyche: 5-11, 5-11, 6-10, 7-9

Dungy comes in and after a 6-10 first year, leads the team to the playoffs 4 of the next 5 seasons, with an appearance in the NFC Championship game in year 4 of his tenure. Tampa was a joke until Dungy arrived.

As for the Colts situation, it's true that having Manning helped, just like having Jimbo helped Marv. Yep, Tony and Marv, both hired by Bill Polian ... hmmm.

I'm not a huge proponent of Tony D, but what?

TB under Wyche: 5-11, 5-11, 6-10, 7-9

Dungy comes in and after a 6-10 first year, leads the team to the playoffs 4 of the next 5 seasons, with an appearance in the NFC Championship game in year 4 of his tenure. Tampa was a joke until Dungy arrived.

As for the Colts situation, it's true that having Manning helped, just like having Jimbo helped Marv. Yep, Tony and Marv, both hired by Bill Polian ... hmmm.

The Bucs were a joke when Wyche was hired, many of the pieces were in place when Dungy was hired. Wyche has said that if he had another year or two he would have had the Bucs in the Super Bowl & he may be right.

You know Dungy had a pretty mediocre record before he finally struck gold the Colts. Having Peyton Manning in his prime as your QB doesn't hurt. I would not get all sweaty over Dungy.

PTR

Tony Dungy took TB from Cleveland Brown status to a powerhouse. They were the LA Clippers of the NFL before Dungy put his stamp on that team, in other words, a losing record year after year. Payton Manning also was labeled a choke artist before Dungy got there as that team and Manning would blow in the playoffs every year.

Dungy did a lot for the Colts and even more for TB...

Mark my words, if Dungy comes so will Vick...dont know how I feel about that, but if we got Dungy and Vick came here next year, it would allow us to go OT in the first round rather than QB and then take a QB in 2nd or 3rd and give Vick a chance to rebuild a career...if he cant, we got the young QB grooming in the wings...

Seiously, if we get Shannahan, Cowher or Dungy I will be ecstatic

Mark my words, if Dungy comes so will Vick...dont know how I feel about that, but if we got Dungy and Vick came here next year, it would allow us to go OT in the first round rather than QB and then take a QB in 2nd or 3rd and give Vick a chance to rebuild a career...if he cant, we got the young QB grooming in the wings...

Exactly .... wherever Dungy goes, Vick will follow. A year ago, I'd say NOOOOOOOOO ... but now??? I'd be happy with that. Even if Vick doesn't turn out to be the answer at QB, there would be a hell of a lot more free agents willing to brave the cold in Buffalo for Dungy than there were for the likes of Williams, Mularkey and Jauron.

Anyone rational would be ecstatic with a shot at one of those three. I love all-of-a-sudden-extremely-picky-Bills-guy. Who is like, "No, I don't want Shanahan. Never had good defenses," or, "I'll pass on Dungy. He was over-valued."

Give me a break.

Dungy made the playoffs four out of six years once he got to the Bucs, and was fired after making them again. The Colts may have been a coachproof team, but still, he got them further than Jim Mora did (not that Mora is the ideal coach, either).

Gruden was the one who got that team over the top, but they fell apart a year later and were never the same again. I don't know how to apportion the success there, but Dungy's had some real success. He'd need a solid GM, and some talent to work with, but it could happen.

From all this chatter, Marv Levy shouldn't be in the HOF because Bill Polian built the team and Jim Kelly was the QB? I wouldn't mind having Tony Dungy as HC here. And to piggyback off of my man Brad Riter, listen to Riter Radio from 4p-7p M-F on WECK, bring back Polian. If not Bill, then his son Chris. He has been in football operations with his father and has to have learned alot from him.

The reasoning on this wall is astounding. Dungy built two teams in two different divisions that won Super Bowls. The armchair GM's immediately dismiss his accomplishment because McKay did all the work in Tampa (although he was there prior to Dungy and they sucked) and he had Manning and Polian in Indy.

I guess by that logic then Bellichek sucks because he has Brady and Pioli. Cowher sucks because he had Rothlesberger and the Bus and Coughlin sucks because he has a Manning, Strahan, Tuck etc.

You can find a reason to dismiss the accomplishments of almost any coach or player if you try hard enough.

So now I pose the question what would you guys think of a Dungy/Weis combo here? I, personally, would take that in a "New York minute". Dungy is a proven guy at building defenses and Weis did wonders with less than exceptional personel in New England. I think it would change the landscape around here for sure.

My initial first choice was Shanahan. Dungy HC and Weis OC would be a dream scenario! Never gonna happen, but what a combo that would be...

Exactly .... wherever Dungy goes, Vick will follow. A year ago, I'd say NOOOOOOOOO ... but now??? I'd be happy with that. Even if Vick doesn't turn out to be the answer at QB, there would be a hell of a lot more free agents willing to brave the cold in Buffalo for Dungy than there were for the likes of Williams, Mularkey and Jauron.

Yeah me too...I was never a big fan of Vick at QB even prior to the dog fighting, but honestly, there is very little out there on the FA market. Vick has immense physical talent and is such a mutli dimemsional threat, but his accuracy was not exactly something to rave about. However, I would be curious to see what Dungy could do to help make him a better QB.

At the same time, I real interested to see what Brohm can do. I think he has a lot of upside.

Either way, I think if Brohm can show enough to indicate he could challenge for the starting job, or if Dungy comes and brings Vick, we will be in a much better position for the draft and can go OT in the first instead of QB.

Yeah me too...I was never a big fan of Vick at QB even prior to the dog fighting, but honestly, there is very little out there on the FA market. Vick has immense physical talent and is such a mutli dimemsional threat, but his accuracy was not exactly something to rave about. However, I would be curious to see what Dungy could do to help make him a better QB.

At the same time, I real interested to see what Brohm can do. I think he has a lot of upside.

Either way, I think if Brohm can show enough to indicate he could challenge for the starting job, or if Dungy comes and brings Vick, we will be in a much better position for the draft and can go OT in the first instead of QB.

If Ralph is going to go the way of a GM separate from a Head Coach, I wish he would find a GM now so he can start evaluating talent. If Fitzpatrick sucks this week, throw in Brohm for the rest of the year and don't look back. The one thing I like about him is his size. I think I read he's 6'3", 225, or something like that. Enough of these scrawny guys that can't take hits. And if he's as accurate as the scouting reports out there, who knows .. could be a diamond in the rough.

Either way, the more I think about it, the Dungy/Vick thing would be good. If nothing else, defenses would have to respect the run just due to his scrambling capabilities. Marshawn Lynch sure as hell isn't demanding any respect. Hopefully that bum will be part of Ralph's house cleaning. Another story altogether.

The reasoning on this wall is astounding. Dungy built two teams in two different divisions that won Super Bowls. The armchair GM's immediately dismiss his accomplishment because McKay did all the work in Tampa (although he was there prior to Dungy and they sucked) and he had Manning and Polian in Indy.

I guess by that logic then Bellichek sucks because he has Brady and Pioli. Cowher sucks because he had Rothlesberger and the Bus and Coughlin sucks because he has a Manning, Strahan, Tuck etc.

You can find a reason to dismiss the accomplishments of almost any coach or player if you try hard enough.

What is with the DUNGY built? He built NEITHER the Bucs or the Colts, he coached the players that the GM's gave him. Yeah Dungy got the Bucs to the playoffs, but if he had hired a GOOD OC he would have had the Bucs in the Super Bowl. Trust me, Dungys Bucs offense was NO better than the Bills offense under Jauron.