Hot Rumor on ESPNews earlier.

I didn't see anything about this on the boards, and I feel it certainly deserves a thread. I was just watching ESPNews, and during their "Hot Rumor" segment, they were talking about Dungy possibly beng interested in the Buffalo vacancy. Apparently, the rumor stems from a radio interview he did earlier today where he would not confirm or deny that he was interested in the Bills head job.

It sounds far fetched at first pass, but if you look at his previous two jobs, they would certainly be regarded as rebuilding projects. He is, by all accounts, a very humble family-man, and his values and appreciation of a strong community atmosphere may fit perfectly with the region.

Sorry for a lack of link. As I said, it was on TV.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Dungy had a pretty mediocre record before he finally struck gold the Colts. Having Peyton Manning in his prime as your QB doesn't hurt. I would not get all sweaty over Dungy.

PTR

I would certainly have to disagree with you. He took one of the biggest embarrassments of a pro sports franchise in Tampa and built a Super-Bowl-caliber team. Then, he turned around and built that Colts team around Peyton Manning.

Dungy as HC with an actual GM (like Floyd Reese or someone like him) would be my dream scenario. I don't really want Cowher or Shanahan as Coach and GM. I think it is pretty well proven that one person cannot do both roles and do them well.

Give me Reese and Dungy and I would be thrilled. But then we'd have Vick, not too sure about that.

This is what was posted on the Bills board.

Dungy interested in Bills?

10:23AM ET

Tony Dungy | Colts

Top Email

Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show recently, former NFL head coach Tony Dungy was asked a battery of questions on the current NFL hot topics.

While his new advisory role and the issue of concussions were interesting -- as was his take that Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis "is a brilliant offensive mind" that "could help a lot of teams in the NFL" -- the most captivating segment was talking about the job opening with the Buffalo Bills.

Although Dungy did reiterate that he's happy as a TV analyst, and in his new advisory role, he did recount how he took the "bad job" in Tampa Bay and turned the franchise into a competitive one by the time he was done there. Dungy says it's the same in Buffalo right now: the right coach will be able to make them big-time.

Seems like maybe he is considering this job, and perhaps other jobs, after all.

You know Dungy had a pretty mediocre record before he finally struck gold the Colts. Having Peyton Manning in his prime as your QB doesn't hurt. I would not get all sweaty over Dungy.

PTR

why! who the hell do want for a coach.There is no such thing as a perfect coach you dummy.

It would make sense if the Bills were to persue Vick and have his now "mentor", Dungy, come in as the head coach of Buffalo. This wouldn't be a shock to me at all, but it would tell me that they're still looking to bring in a quality GM. Dungy is not a GM/Coach kind of guy IMO.

Guest dog14787

PTR

Peyton manning as your QB, Bill Polian as the GM.

Yup PTR, I think your correct in assuming Dungy had some help along the way, but the same can be said for Cowher or Shanahn I suppose, they all had one thing in common when winning their championships and that's having some damn good QB's at the helm.

I would certainly have to disagree with you. He took one of the biggest embarrassments of a pro sports franchise in Tampa and built a Super-Bowl-caliber team. Then, he turned around and built that Colts team around Peyton Manning.

Rich McKay built the Bucs, not Dungy. Bill Polian built the Colts & hired Dungy who brought his defense which is what the Colts were lacking.

Dungy has said he doesn't want to Coach anymore, & why would ANYONE quit the Colts to Coach the Bills?

This is what was posted on the Bills board.

Dungy interested in Bills?

10:23AM ET

Tony Dungy | Colts

Top Email

Appearing on the Dan Patrick Show recently, former NFL head coach Tony Dungy was asked a battery of questions on the current NFL hot topics.

While his new advisory role and the issue of concussions were interesting -- as was his take that Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis "is a brilliant offensive mind" that "could help a lot of teams in the NFL" -- the most captivating segment was talking about the job opening with the Buffalo Bills.

Although Dungy did reiterate that he's happy as a TV analyst, and in his new advisory role, he did recount how he took the "bad job" in Tampa Bay and turned the franchise into a competitive one by the time he was done there. Dungy says it's the same in Buffalo right now: the right coach will be able to make them big-time.

Seems like maybe he is considering this job, and perhaps other jobs, after all.

So now I pose the question what would you guys think of a Dungy/Weis combo here? I, personally, would take that in a "New York minute". Dungy is a proven guy at building defenses and Weis did wonders with less than exceptional personel in New England. I think it would change the landscape around here for sure.

why! who the hell do want for a coach.There is no such thing as a perfect coach you dummy.

Argree! Many previous posts want a proven coach not a coordinator. Dungy is a Super Bowl WINNING coach. Don't get much more qualified then that.

So now I pose the question what would you guys think of a Dungy/Weis combo here? I, personally, would take that in a "New York minute". Dungy is a proven guy at building defenses and Weis did wonders with less than exceptional personel in New England. I think it would change the landscape around here for sure.

That would be interesting.

I also would like them to bring along Bill Polian.

Rich McKay built the Bucs, not Dungy. Bill Polian built the Colts & hired Dungy who brought his defense which is what the Colts were lacking.

Dungy has said he doesn't want to Coach anymore, & why would ANYONE quit the Colts to Coach the Bills?

He doesn't coach the Colts. In fact he is not even coaching any team.

Sign me up. I would be happy with that pairing. My biggest difficulty with Dungy (as mentioned by another poster earlier) is that he would probably keep the Tampa 2 defense which drives me crazy.