Firing Jaruon was stupid

Simon

Nothing good could have come out of Jauron sticking for the rest of the season.

But what good could come out of Perry Fewell sticking for the rest of the season just to be dismissed by the new HC during the offseason?

If they do bring in Shanahan (as a coach only puhleeeeze) or their future HC shortly then my thread is entirely moot. But if they don't, they've squandered an opportunity to move forward and canned a guy for no reason. And considering the ratio of rumor:reality, I'm not sure they've got anything planned right now.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a plan in place going forward this was an absolutely pointless move at this time. The Bills should have already had multiple interviews scheduled for their permanent coach when they pulled the plug. Maybe they do, I don't know. But if not this move is just stupid and pointless.

If they want to do anything positive in the near future they should have a coach in place by Thanksgiving (and I don't mean Fewell or April or anybody else on staff) and a new GM and a reorganized front office completed before Christmas. If they can't manage that, then this move was nothing but more of Ralph Wilson's mindless bullshlt.

I agree in the sense I think they should have hired a gm before firing the coach, and let the gm decide when. I also think if we are going to get a "real" gm, he's going to want to make all the calls around OBD, and hopefully he will.

Would be kinda classless to have interviews scheduled for DJ's replacement prior to firing him. Some

prospects would balk at the job based on that alone, knowing the incumbent is still in place.

As for a plan, if this is real that they spoke with Shanny, I call that a plan. I believe he was on the radar

prior to DJ's firing and that was motivation to fire DJ and be first in the replacement HC sweepstakes.

Like the Redskins who are supposed to have Shanahan at the top of their list for Head coach/GM

Of course, thats only if they decide to let go of Jim Zorn :lol:

When the sharks are circling your boat and you have a small hole at the bottom, you better start throwing the chum at them.

By no means should Wilson be fully absolved of this, because this is fully his creation, as he gave Jauron very little to work with this year. But that doesn't excuse Jauron's pathetic performance either. So faced with a growing fan revolt, Wilson did the expedient thing to keep the sharks at bay.

Nothing good could have come out of Jauron sticking for the rest of the season. Plus, if the Shanny, etc stories are true - at least Wilson gets the early shot. I doubt he would have equal attention at the end of the year when he has to compete with other teams.

Getting rid of Jauron was Brilliant.

But what good could come out of Perry Fewell sticking for the rest of the season just to be dismissed by the new HC during the offseason?

If they do bring in Shanahan (as a coach only puhleeeeze) or their future HC shortly then my thread is entirely moot. But if they don't, they've squandered an opportunity to move forward and canned a guy for no reason. And considering the ratio of rumor:reality, I'm not sure they've got anything planned right now.

As other posters have already pointed out, you can't start talking shop with possible replacements with Jauron still in place. When you have an INTERIM coach in place you can get the process going early and have a leg up on the other teams. The interviews and hirings aren't taking place until the offseason.

Without a plan in place going forward this was an absolutely pointless move at this time. The Bills should have already had multiple interviews scheduled for their permanent coach when they pulled the plug. Maybe they do, I don't know. But if not this move is just stupid and pointless.

If they want to do anything positive in the near future they should have a coach in place by Thanksgiving (and I don't mean Fewell or April or anybody else on staff) and a new GM and a reorganized front office completed before Christmas. If they can't manage that, then this move was nothing but more of Ralph Wilson's mindless bullshlt.

Pointless??? How could you be so nieve? First, Perry is getting a chance to prove whether or not hes capable of being a Head Coach after this season. The seaon is over anyway why not see if Fewell can do the Job. Second, We have 7 weeks to find a coaching replacement in a time where several top tier names are available well before ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFL. This gives us firs dibs on anycoach. Finally, If we are looking into a Cower, Shannahan or Holmgren as the Football guy/ Head Coach this gives the new guy we hire before the seasons out to Evaluate staff, Players etc before the end of the season. Given them an opprotunity to have a paln once the season ends.

This is a great move for the future of the team. NOW is better then the end of the season. Now we can be evaluted and prepared for Next season so we are not behind and the New HC/GM wont be overloaded and undertime.

This was a great thing for our teams future.

This is the dumbest Post here in a while. Can the team do anything right? They don't fire DJ and they are horrible and won't do anything until they get rid of him. Now they get rid of him and they are doing the wrong thing cause it was at the wrong point during the season?

What good would keeping DJ around for the rest of the year have done? How many teams that fire their coach during the season have someone new hired mid season instead of promoting someone internal and placing an interm tag on them? The only thing this does right now is gives the Bills a jump on interviewing permanent candidates now, and seeing what they have in a potential coach option in Fewell

I'm glad they fired Jauron although the timing strikes me as odd. I was concerned that Jauron was going to be here regardless of how bad it got. This may be more of Wilson's mindless bull **** but I think this may be a little different than previous firings and hirings. If he hires another no name or cheap coach he could do irreparable damage to the fan base. I think fans are pretty concerned about Ralphie getting it right this time.

The timing is certainly strange, but this is a unique year in the NFL. And as much as I don't give this team the benefit of the doubt, this may be a preemptive move to get someone in here who otherwise would be gobbled up by the big teams.

I'm not going to get crazy, but a lame duck HC finishing the season is not good. We'd all have preferred the guy be fired during the bye week, but this team never does anything the conventional way.

Of course, all of this goes out the window if the big names don't come here, and the HC ends up being a cheap-a** signing like Haslett, Fassel, or Marc Trestman. I'm still playing wait and see with RW and whomever he decides to hire and the structure in place. The fans are too astute to be fooled by more garbage people in the front like what they've got now.

I'm not sure what you mean at all. Is it stupid because there is no difference between Jauron/Fewell as lame-duck HCs? I'm not really sure what you expect with a mid-season firing. No one has fired their incompetent coach in the middle of the season and replaced him with an outside coach with a proven record. There needs to be a step in between.

I totaly agree with Poeticlaw. I would simply put his quote here but haven't figure that out. Getting rid of Dick now is a brilliant move. Should have been done along time ago but now that its happened it still feels great. This next 7 weeks the players will have a resurgance and like perry says "Play like hell and win". This is an audition to see who has fire, passion and ability to make the team and help the team win games next year. I 100% believe Dicks' laid back, calm demeanor and him telling the guys "its ok we lost, as long as we tried" bull **** has taken a major toll on the toughness of these players. I like Perrys' quote when he said : “We’ll be the Buffalo Bills,” Fewell said. “We’ll represent you well and be the Buffalo Bills.” If Perry proves to have leadership, grit and smarts then all the better if he remains our HC or still DC next year. He can provide valuable insight to the new HC which players should stay and who has gone soft from Dick droppin to one knee to put a Band-Aid on a players knee then pattin his head and telling him he's a good boy.

No doubt in my mind this was yet another in a long line of impulsive moves by Ralph, most likely thanks to Bud Adams. :lol: IMO he had every intention of riding the season out before something happened last weekend... the Bills/DJ's performance against the Titans was putrid but far from the worst we've seen. I don't think it will end up as bad as the disaster that took place after TD was let go, now that was a cluster!@#$ for the ages. DJ should've been gone long ago, & at least this time, he has a couple months to line things up. But it's Ralph, so you just never know.

So in other words, you're title should read "If the Bills had no plan and just fired Jauron in a knee jerk reaction, THAT would be stupid. But with no evidence at all of that (in fact, constant rumors of the exact opposite happening are true) I think its safe to say that firing the worst coach in our last 20 years was not "stupid".

Stojan for the win....

I think they made this move now, not for football reasons, but due to growing disillusionment among fans.

Close.

The disillusionment was from the players and the organization internally. Team leaders were questioning the direction of the team. Frankly, there wasn't unanimity on keeping Jauron on for 09 from the start. If Ralph cared so much about what fans wanted, he'd have fired Jauron a long time before now.

I vehemently disagree with the OP. The last two games this team has played clearly demonstrated horrific deficiencies at the head coaching position - repeated false starts, the inability to finish games, and lack of focus. This isn't something that happened overnight, it's been a repeated pattern of behavior that's unacceptable.

Please explain to me the difference between having a lame duck Jauron coach these final seven games, or having Fewell fill in and see if not coddling the players might get more out of them. I see only downsides (pissed off fanbase, overly content players, and the impression that the owner doesn't care) with the former, and only good things (a jump start on the HC/GM search, fans being happy with their team, etc) with the later.

Close.

The disillusionment was from the players and the organization internally. Team leaders were questioning the direction of the team. Frankly, there wasn't unanimity on keeping Jauron on for 09 from the start. If Ralph cared so much about what fans wanted, he'd have fired Jauron a long time before now.

Tim Graham is on record as commenting this move may (or may not) have something to do with the approaching shopping season. For this franchise, it's not unreasonable to believe merchandise sales may have something to do with it. Crazy, but not out of the question.

It struck me that Aaron Schobel opened up after the Titans game. I can't remember the last time he spoke about something on football, let alone organizational direction.

Tim Graham is on record as commenting this move may (or may not) have something to do with the approaching shopping season. For this franchise, it's not unreasonable to believe merchandise sales may have something to do with it. Crazy, but not out of the question.

It struck me that Aaron Schobel opened up after the Titans game. I can't remember the last time he spoke about something on football, let alone organizational direction.

Do you know how far down the list merchandise sales are to a franchise of our caliber? We're not the Cowboys. I respect Tim Graham, and so I'll assume that he said that very lightly. There is no way a team made a firing for that reason. It would be so troubling if that were so, that I'd stop rooting for them entirely. I'm not though, because that is one of the most unfounded theories I've read on this firing (and there have been plenty bad ones).

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...mp;f=1&id=9