“Captain Morgan” pose was effectively banned by NFL

erynthered

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-c...o&type=lgns

As far as anyone knows, it's the first time we've seen that type of guerilla-style advertising campaign in an NFL end zone. And if the league has its way, it will be the last, too. The "Captain Morgan" was effectively banned this week after the league learned of a wider campaign meant to get players to repeatedly strike the pose during NFL games.

"A company can't pay a player to somehow promote it's product on the field," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Yahoo! Sports this week. "Every league has the same rule. … It's come up before, companies trying to use our games and then players for ambush marketing purposes."

I was just about to post this. It's almost like hindering freedom of expression, IMO. It's not like they can actually use the footage in a commercial without the NFL's consent. I think it's a little too much being made out this. But then again, maybe not as it could have little kids striking the same pose because of the influence these players have. I can't remember so I will ask, did they ban the "sharpie" from the NFL as well after TO pulled that one off so it couldn't be done again? What about the "cell phone" from Joe Horn's "can you hear me now" rendition?

"The issue is that players are specifically prohibited under our policies from wearing, displaying, promoting or otherwise conveying their support of a commercially identified product during a game while they’re on the field,” Aiello said. “Whether it’s rum or soft drinks or any other commercial product, that type of promotion is prohibited."

Hmm.

Someone had better send Nike, Reebok, et al. a memo about this....

I was just about to post this. It's almost like hindering freedom of expression, IMO. It's not like they can actually use the footage in a commercial without the NFL's consent. I think it's a little too much being made out this. But then again, maybe not as it could have little kids striking the same pose because of the influence these players have. I can't remember so I will ask, did they ban the "sharpie" from the NFL as well after TO pulled that one off so it couldn't be done again? What about the "cell phone" from Joe Horn's "can you hear me now" rendition?

I would gather "the pose" is a registered trademark of the Captain. I'm sure that would constitute a violation. The NFL is a business, and they sell advertising. If they allow this, where would it end. You would have people doing the 5 dollar footlong as a celebration, jingles, etc.

I was just about to post this. It's almost like hindering freedom of expression, IMO.

Really? So you're against the NFL uniform policy (players fined because of their socks or belt etc.)? Does your place of work have a dress code? Do you generally travel the speed limit? Wear your seatbelts?

I would gather "the pose" is a registered trademark of the Captain. I'm sure that would constitute a violation. The NFL is a business, and they sell advertising. If they allow this, where would it end. You would have people doing the 5 dollar footlong as a celebration, jingles, etc.

Yeah. Much better to leave the corporate whoring to the studio broadcasters during pregame, halftime and postgame.

Can they make the SUBWAY signage on the CBS sportsdesk any bigger? It might help drown out Boomer and Shannon Sharpe guffawing on stage right. (This applies to Shannon only when his speech is decipherable. Which is about 20 percent, give or take.)

Well, the part where the NFL is essentially taking probably hundreds of thousands of dollars away from Gridiron Greats really sucks. But it's probably not good for our society to have children's idols shilling hard liquor during football games that children are watching. As a childless adult, I say screw the kids -- let the players strike the pose.

"A company can't pay a player to somehow promote it's product on the field," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Yahoo! Sports this week. "Every league has the same rule. … It's come up before, companies trying to use our games and then players for ambush marketing purposes."

Translation ....

Because the NFL, being the greedy !@#$s that we are, are not getting a significant taste of this advertising revenue, the "Captain Morgan" pose is therefore banned from all NFL games.

But it's probably not good for our society to have children's idols shilling hard liquor during football games that children are watching.

What makes you think the NFL cares about kids? Been to a game lately? Can't go 10 steps without seeing an example of alcohol abuse in or out of the stadium.

Translation ....

Because the NFL, being the greedy !@#$s that we are, are not getting a significant taste of this advertising revenue, the "Captain Morgan" pose is therefore banned from all NFL games.

How would you feel if a player who just scored a TD took a sign out that read "Drink Coca-Cola?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-c...o&type=lgns

As far as anyone knows, it's the first time we've seen that type of guerilla-style advertising campaign in an NFL end zone. And if the league has its way, it will be the last, too. The "Captain Morgan" was effectively banned this week after the league learned of a wider campaign meant to get players to repeatedly strike the pose during NFL games.

NO FUN LEAGUE strikes again, IF Capt morgan became the official rum of the NFL this would change... GREEDY F'ers

Also best Capt Morgan drink is the Cable Car:

1/2 oz Orange Curacao liqueur

1 oz Captain Morgan® Original spiced rum

1/2 oz lime juice

1/2 oz sweet and sour mix

Combine everything in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Or Capt and Ginger ale is awesome as well.

How would you feel if a player who just scored a TD took a sign out that read "Drink Coca-Cola?"

More like, how would you feel if you ran your own business and one of your employees hung a "Drink Coca-Cola" banner from your windows so he could make money?

How many people who are whining about the NFL in this thread are allowed to privately market their services to a 3d party while on the clock at work?

More like, how would you feel if you ran your own business and one of your employees hung a "Drink Coca-Cola" banner from your windows so he could make money?

How many people who are whining about the NFL in this thread are allowed to privately market their services to a 3d party while on the clock at work?

When I worked in the restaurants and the Coca-Cola guy would deliver I asked what would happen if he got caught drinking Pepsi. Damn, you would have thought I asked him if I could sleep with his teenage daughter. I once made the mistake (only once) of putting a Pepsi product in a Coca-Cola cooler.

Really? So you're against the NFL uniform policy (players fined because of their socks or belt etc.)? Does your place of work have a dress code? Do you generally travel the speed limit? Wear your seatbelts?

I am against players being fined for wearing a different color of socks and belt if they want to, as long as it doesn't go off from their team colors. And yes, my workplace does say that we have to wear khakis or jeans along with steel toe boots and a shirt with atleast 4" sleeves. I understand you're talking about laws and regulations, but we're talking about a guy posing a certain way. What are they going to do next, say you can't wave your hand in front of your face because it promotes sales of John Cena's WWE merchandise? Larry Johnson can no longer throw the ROC symbol up, if he ever gets the chance again, because it promotes sales of ROC Nation albums? Also, if you noticed later on in the same post, I put that it is likely a good thing because now kids who admire these pro athletes will not be doing the "Captain's Pose".