Brian Orakpo

bills_red

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Smith is very happy the internet wasn't in full flight when he was a rookie.

Bruce Smith is very happy he was blessed with a HOF worthy skill set. We all hope that Maybin turns out to be great but just like James Hardy, concerns are mounting. Personally, I enjoy analyzing players without the moronic restrictions some of you people have. I don't give a crap about staying within an unwritten time frame. I'm not afraid to be wrong and willingly admit it when I am. :thumbsup:

Orakpo and Maybin are equally uninspiring. I wish Maybin would have showed up at camp. Maybe his growth would have started earlier

5.5 sacks + significant playing time vs. 0 sacks + significant bench time = equally uninspiring?

hmmm.

Ralph fired Donahoe, but forgot to fire Modrak & Guy. You can blame Modrak & Guy for all the draft busts since Donahoe came to town.

For the 2nd time today, Guy is not involved in the evaluation of draft-eligible college players. He's director of pro personnel...he scouts NFL free agents.

The guy (Maybin) played LB in college and even after 5 of the Bills LBs go down to injury, they still insist at him being an end. That to me is the biggest reason Maybin hasn't put up stats. No rookie DEs have good years.

No Maybin didn't play LB in college. He played left DE and right DE.

I agree that its too early but that doesn't mean that it was a good pick.

If you can, what you want with every player, especially ones in the first round are guys who come in and start quickly and and have an impact even in their first year. Failing that, you hope to get a guy who does that in his second year and so on. Some teams, like the Redskins, got a guy who is playing well and having an impact right now. Maybin could turn out to be good next year but given the choice between a guy who plays great in year one and a guy who doesn't do it until year two, the choice is easy. So even if Maybin turns out okay eventually, the better pick was Orakpo.

You were doing fine until the last line. So if Maybin finishes with 120 career sacks and Orakpo finishes with 35, Orakpo is the better pick because he contributed more than Maybin during his rookie year?

Actually, I think he compared Bruce's relative suckitude in his rookie year (to the rest of his career). Thus, he drew the comparison that a group of ignorant, loudmouthed fans would have, no doubt, called for the FOs head in that instance. Therefore, maybe we should just wait a bit before we go out on a limb and say so and so is a bust. Seems pretty logical to me...

....Now, back to your regularly scheduled second guessing. :thumbsup:

And again it needs re-stating. Bruce Smith had 6.5 sacks during his rookie year. In spite of the fact that he didn't start a single game.

Well that settles it, next....

While I am not ready to declare Maybin a bust, look at the difference when you don't miss in the first round...

2001 19 Casey Hampton DT Texas [l]

2002 30 Kendall Simmons G Auburn

2003 16 Troy Polamalu DB USC [m]

2004 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (OH)

2005 30 Heath Miller TE Virginia

2006 25 Santonio Holmes WR Ohio State [n]

2007 15 Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State

2008 23 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois

2009 32 Evander Hood DT Missouri

Pittsburgh has a great front office and the Bills have a mess....

Interesting and its good to show that. Do not rule out Maybin being a bust yet. I still think he can play the outside linebacker position as a few have said on TBD.

Very true! That's DJ for you, Byrd wouldn't have seen much playing time had it not been for all the secondary injuries...

Actually Byrd was getting alot of time if i'm not mistaken when there were no injuries, and he looked horrendous and i questioned it. The first 2-3 games byrd looked downright bad in my opinion and i didn't want him on the field, my opinion has since changed and i for one want him and wilson to remain back there.

If you are honestly calling Maybin a bust right now, punch yourself in the face. Eric Moulds thinks you're an idiot.

I don't think everyone is calling maybin a bust, they are just saying we should have taken Orakpo at number 11. #11 was way to high for a guy who only played 9-10 games at the college level. Especially a guy playing DE at 225. Hopefully Maybin becomes a stud for our sake, but it looks like it will be a while before we see something from this kid. Orakpo doesn't need a couple years to develop. Maybin on the bright side is 2 years younger, so again, like most Bills picks, will have to wait and see how this turns out.

Bruce Smith is very happy he was blessed with a HOF worthy skill set. We all hope that Maybin turns out to be great but just like James Hardy, concerns are mounting. Personally, I enjoy analyzing players without the moronic restrictions some of you people have. I don't give a crap about staying within an unwritten time frame. I'm not afraid to be wrong and willingly admit it when I am. :pirate:

Ok ok you're fantastic, absolutely fantastic.

It's funny no one is beating the drum on the Byrd pick now. I'm sure I could go back and find some nice posts about that one.

OMG, so right about that one. Im not sure what pick the fans of this board hated more, Byrd or Maybin. Seems everyone has shut up about Byrd at this point.

The problem with threads like this (player A is better, we should have drafted him over our guy) is you're neglecting the primary factor influencing the player's success. Maybin plays for the Bills. Orakpo plays for someone else.

There should be absolutely no reason to think that if Orakpo was drafted by the Bills that he'd have 5.5 sacks right now. The Bills have been putting players in positions to fail for nearly a decade. Does anyone really think TO forgot how to run a route this year? Or is it more likely that his production has completely fallen off the cliff because he's playing in Buffalo's offense? Gandy was one of the worst LTs ever, until he went to Arizona and became good enough to start in a Super Bowl. And so on...

So, until we get a coaching staff that actually knows how to coach and prepare players to compete in this league, all of these comparisons are grossly flawed.

The problem with threads like this (player A is better, we should have drafted him over our guy) is you're neglecting the primary factor influencing the player's success. Maybin plays for the Bills. Orakpo plays for someone else.

There should be absolutely no reason to think that if Orakpo was drafted by the Bills that he'd have 5.5 sacks right now. The Bills have been putting players in positions to fail for nearly a decade. Does anyone really think TO forgot how to run a route this year? Or is it more likely that his production has completely fallen off the cliff because he's playing in Buffalo's offense? Gandy was one of the worst LTs ever, until he went to Arizona and became good enough to start in a Super Bowl. And so on...

So, until we get a coaching staff that actually knows how to coach and prepare players to compete in this league, all of these comparisons are grossly flawed.

Good to see there are still some sane people on this board

OMG, so right about that one. Im not sure what pick the fans of this board hated more, Byrd or Maybin. Seems everyone has shut up about Byrd at this point.

The Byrd pick and the Maybin pick have no similarities. Drafting a DE at 11 was consider a necessity for the Bills this year. Drafting another DB at anytime was not. Most poster here criticized the Maybin pick not because the Bills drafted a DE but because they though he wasn't worthy. The Byrd pick was criticized because it was another DB, something the Bills had plenty of. Byrd was not criticized for his playing ability. You can argue that the Byrd pick was a best player available selection, but that is many poster were saying was not the case with Maybin.

I was so hoping Buffalo would pick Orakpo. He should have been the pick, he was ready to play right now and that's what Buffalo needed.

I was a little disappointed but OK with Maybin but he was not my first choice. Then I found out his mentor was Arrington. You know, the Malcontent. Then I knew we were going to rue the day. But what else do you expect with this Front Office.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/style_emot...lt/wallbash.gif

His other mentor is Ray Lewis