Edwards, Flutie, Fitzpatrick, Bledsoe

Marshmallow

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pick the young-and-with-something-to-prove Drew Bledsoe that dueled with Marino, as opposed to the take-the-sack overpaid Bledsoe that Bills inherited. I would have Flutie wearing stilts as backup. TE as gatorade boy

Bledsoe when he was here was a league average QB (Besides that dreadful 2003 season) guy was a vet but was clearly past his prime. Flutie was a guy who won even if he might not have been the reason for it. Losman had one promising season but it went to crap. Trent Edwards showed promise for a 6 game stretch but went to crap. Oh yeah and Rob Johnson went to **** intimidately.

So to sum up the last ten years of the Bills QB situation we have had two Vets who played average at their best and two young guys who had flashes but never really amounted to much and the abomination of Rob Johnson. Its been a bad decade :thumbsup:

But behind this line as another poster mentioned Flutie BUT given time to throw Bledsoe even at his overpaid semi-washed up state the guy could still throw as long as you gave him time (The problem was the Bills didn't give him time AND the Bledsoe needed a lot of time more then reasonable amounts guy couldn't move in the pocket or release the ball quickly)

If the Bills had all 4 of these guys on the team right now...who would you start?

Honestly, I can't imagine Flutie would do any worse than what we have.

And Bledsoe could certainly throw the deep ball to Evans/Owens.

Flutie.-Even with this mess of a team he would make a huge difference...altho the siren call of Bledsoe throwing bombs to Evans and TO would be hard to resist.

Flutie is the only winner of that group.

Right, because it's not like Bledsoe led NE to the 1995 AFC Championship, or played in the Superbowl, or came in during the 2001 AFC Championship game in relief of an injured Tom Brady and put the winning points on the board.

Sorry, but out of that group it's Bledsoe, and it's not even close. HE is the only winner of those guys, as evidenced by his record, level of passing success, number of playoff appearances, and number of Superbowl appearances.

Right, because it's not like Bledsoe led NE to the 1995 AFC Championship, or played in the Superbowl, or came in during the 2001 AFC Championship game in relief of an injured Tom Brady and put the winning points on the board.

Sorry, but out of that group it's Bledsoe, and it's not even close. HE is the only winner of those guys, as evidenced by his record, level of passing success, number of playoff appearances, and number of Superbowl appearances.

You are so far off in saying that Bledsoe is the ONLY winner in this group, almost like a whole universe off. Bledsoe's winning percentage for his career is .507 (98-95) Flutie's is .575 (38-28). Also, in just a little more than 1/3 of the games, and less than half the attempts, Flutie has more than twice as many rushing yards as Bledsoe (Flutie 338/1634-Bledsoe (385/764). If you have a good team with a good offensive line and are getting them at the beginning of their careers, I would probably take Bledsoe, but for this team right now, with the worst offensive line in football, Flutie is the only choice. His mobility would be crucial for staying alive. Bledsoe wouldn't last a few games before he got hurt with this line. Also, during their careers in Buffalo, their records in games started: Bledsoe 23-25 and Flutie 21-9-no comparison there. Bledoe has better cumulative numbers because his career was so much longer. Not dissing Bledsoe, I like him, but you can't say he is the only winner here, as all Flutie did was win, here and in the CFL where he is probably that leagues all-time biggest star.

@Billsfreak:

I realize that it's fashionable to defend the Little Engine that Couldn't, but touting Flutie's success in a significantly inferior league and his NFL rushing stats (which are about as important to me as his stock portfolio when it comes to playing QB) doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about his career. Typically, QBs are supposed to throw the ball. I, along with 100% of NFL head coaches, prefer if the running backs run the ball. And in regard to throwing the ball, I'll take the guy with multiple 4,000 yard, 30 TD pass seasons over a guy who's best season-long output is almost identical to the 2006 passing numbers of JP Losman (go ahead and check that one out for yourself) and has a career QB rating slightly better than that of Kordell Stewart.

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want, but "winning" in the NFL means winning the Superbowl. Unarguably, Bledsoe was more successful towards that goal (since: No. 1, he led NE to a Superbowl berth in 1995, and No. 2, he put the winning points on the board in the 2001 AFC Championship game). Flutie's only playoff experience ended with him fumbling the game away. Also, it's pretty telling that Flutie's only NFL success came in Buffalo, where he benefitted from the team having the #3 defense in the NFL in 1999 and the #1 defense in the NFL in 2000, don't you think?

While we're at it, what exactly qualifies Buffalo's as the worst offensive line in football? You may choose to check some stats (you may want to wait until Tuesday when the NFL updates them for week 9), as there are several teams with far worse offensive lines in terms of pass protection (i.e. sacks given up) and yards-per-rushing attempt.

So while I appreciate that you believe that I'm "a whole universe off", as far as the facts go you're actually 100% wrong. Unless, of course, losing in the first round of the playoffs is the goal. If so, go ahead and take Flutie; I'll take Bledsoe.

@Billsfreak:

I realize that it's fashionable to defend the Little Engine that Couldn't, but touting Flutie's success in a significantly inferior league and his NFL rushing stats (which are about as important to me as his stock portfolio when it comes to playing QB) doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about his career. Typically, QBs are supposed to throw the ball. I, along with 100% of NFL head coaches, prefer if the running backs run the ball. And in regard to throwing the ball, I'll take the guy with multiple 4,000 yard, 30 TD pass seasons over a guy who's best season-long output is almost identical to the 2006 passing numbers of JP Losman (go ahead and check that one out for yourself) and has a career QB rating slightly better than that of Kordell Stewart.

You can tell me I'm wrong all you want, but "winning" in the NFL means winning the Superbowl. Unarguably, Bledsoe was more successful towards that goal (since: No. 1, he led NE to a Superbowl berth in 1995, and No. 2, he put the winning points on the board in the 2001 AFC Championship game). Flutie's only playoff experience ended with him fumbling the game away. Also, it's pretty telling that Flutie's only NFL success came in Buffalo, where he benefitted from the team having the #3 defense in the NFL in 1999 and the #1 defense in the NFL in 2000, don't you think?

While we're at it, what exactly qualifies Buffalo's as the worst offensive line in football? You may choose to check some stats (you may want to wait until Tuesday when the NFL updates them for week 9), as there are several teams with far worse offensive lines in terms of pass protection (i.e. sacks given up) and yards-per-rushing attempt.

So while I appreciate that you believe that I'm "a whole universe off", as far as the facts go you're actually 100% wrong. Unless, of course, losing in the first round of the playoffs is the goal. If so, go ahead and take Flutie; I'll take Bledsoe.

You are obviously someone who won't hear that you are wrong, even though you are. I only said you were off in saying that Flutie wasn't a winner-numbers prove otherwise. Also, I don't believe Bledsoe ever played in a Superbowl that his team won, much less started in one. The question was which one would you want with this team, and if you don't think the ability to run with a line like this is important, you have yet to watch your first Bills game. If Bledsoe had half of Fluties ability to move around, he would have taken Buffalo to the playoffs at least once (which Flutie did, twice). Like I said, I like Bledsoe, and wish the Bills had him sooner, but comparing their time in Buffalo, the winning and team successes aren't even close. You say Fluties QB rating is only slightly better than Kordell Stewart, Bledsoes was only slightly better than Fluties was 77.1 to 76.3, so Bledsoes wasn't much higher than Kordell Stewarts was either. Besides, if taking a team to a Superbowl is the basis of judging a winner, Kordell Stewart took his team to as many Superbowl appearances as Bledsoe did.

The real question is - if Flutie was given the "Outright" starter position and RJ was declared 2nd string from word go (so you didn't have a divided locker room), would Flutie have been better than 21-9 as a starter for Buffalo. Given this group, Flutie hands down gets my vote. (I would have loved to see Flutie in his prime in the NFL to see if he could reproduce his CFL success, ala Warren Moon)