Poz is consistently being exposed.

PushthePile

I realize that our offense is leaving our D on the field far too long. I understand the ramifications of an exhausted front four come the fourth quarter. The fact still remains the same, the middle of our defense is being exposed week in and week out. It is de-moralizing and embarassing. Who is to blame?

I have read alot of opinions on this board, in support of Stroud's and William's play this year and tend to agree that they have done their part. I actually think Stroud is having his best season in sometime, and is certainly better than last year. Kyle Williams is underrated and reliable. They have both been eating up blockers and have even gotten into the backfield.

The problem is Poz! He doesn't fill the holes with authority and we are paying for it. His speed and athleticism have been a subject of criticism in the past but I believe his power is a question as well. He doesn't seem to get the better of to many collisions and for a middle LB that is critical. Thats not even taking into account the immediate elimination that occurs when a linemen gets into him.

Our OLBs are weak to average. Nic Harris is obviously raw and still learning. His explosiveness is very promising, though. Chris Draft has been a very solid pickup for this team, and one many of us wanted awhile ago. Keith Ellison is a memeber of many fans favorite scapegoat list, but he is not terrible. In fact for a sixth round pick the guy has proven to be one hell of a find. I'm not a big fan Mitchell and am ready to see him shown the door. Anyway, the whole point of this analysis is Poz. These outside guys have been doing a better job than they get credit for. They have been turning run plays inside and making the occasional play in the backfield. The problem is their is no inside help!

We don't have a MLB on this roster who can fight through traffic. We don't have a MLB on this roster who can fill a hole and stop a guy in his tracks. It's absolutely killing us. IMO, it has become the exact blueprint for how to beat the Bills. We can't stop it and our DBs are feeling the brunt of it as well.

We as fans are sick of the product that is being put on the field. We analyze over and over again whats wrong. It's time we take Poz to task. I personally have no solution. I'm starting to wonder if he would be exposed on the outside as well. What's your opinion?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poz has not been great but he also cant flow to the ball because there are blockers 4 yards downfield in his way. poz is not great but with a better front he would improve. A lot of people talk about moving him to the weak side. I watched the Texans game 3 times, once in the stadium and twice from my TV recording. IMO he would be better suited on the strong side. Either way his play would improve if we had a decent defensive system.

I realize that our offense is leaving our D on the field far too long. I understand the ramifications of an exhausted front four come the fourth quarter. The fact still remains the same, the middle of our defense is being exposed week in and week out. It is de-moralizing and embarassing. Who is to blame?

I have read alot of opinions on this board, in support of Stroud's and William's play this year and tend to agree that they have done their part. I actually think Stroud is having his best season in sometime, and is certainly better than last year. Kyle Williams is underrated and reliable. They have both been eating up blockers and have even gotten into the backfield.

The problem is Poz! He doesn't fill the holes with authority and we are paying for it. His speed and athleticism have been a subject of criticism in the past but I believe his power is a question as well. He doesn't seem to get the better of to many collisions and for a middle LB that is critical. Thats not even taking into account the immediate elimination that occurs when a linemen gets into him.

Our OLBs are weak to average. Nic Harris is obviously raw and still learning. His explosiveness is very promising, though. Chris Draft has been a very solid pickup for this team, and one many of us wanted awhile ago. Keith Ellison is a memeber of many fans favorite scapegoat list, but he is not terrible. In fact for a sixth round pick the guy has proven to be one hell of a find. I'm not a big fan Mitchell and am ready to see him shown the door. Anyway, the whole point of this analysis is Poz. These outside guys have been doing a better job than they get credit for. They have been turning run plays inside and making the occasional play in the backfield. The problem is their is no inside help!

We don't have a MLB on this roster who can fight through traffic. We don't have a MLB on this roster who can fill a hole and stop a guy in his tracks. It's absolutely killing us. IMO, it has become the exact blueprint for how to beat the Bills. We can't stop it and our DBs are feeling the brunt of it as well.

We as fans are sick of the product that is being put on the field. We analyze over and over again whats wrong. It's time we take Poz to task. I personally have no solution. I'm starting to wonder if he would be exposed on the outside as well. What's your opinion?

From what I see Poz isn't the issue. Its just that Even though Kyle Williams and Stroud have played well they are just on the field for too long. Not having 3 quality linebackers (Poz is good, Draft is ok as a stop gap, Ellison is meh and Harris is raw) also doesn't help the run defense.

Wearing down from being on the field too long AND Weak play at outside linebacker are the 2 main reasons for the poor run D. Poz isn't really the issue the guy is a starting caliber MLB it's just hard to stop the run without quality OLB play and a D-line that is decent but on the field way too long.

You are right about Poz. We should be drafting LBs right from the get-go come April. Lots of them.

I disagree Pushpile, I think it is a testament to our DT's. I like Stroud and Williams but other than those two, we are weak up front, and now with Williams being injured, it's been like watching a trainwreck. Not only is it because of our DT's but Mitchell, Buggs and now Ellison have been injured, so that definitely is factoring in as well, and when you throw in Scott and Whitner in the injury mix who are better in run support, it makes it all the worse. But the one factor that I believe is as big as any of the things that I just mentioned is our offense. We are not able to win the Time of Possession battle. Every game, our Defense gets worn out, by the time we get into the fourth quarter opposing offenses are trampling our depleted D.

So gauging Poz's effectiveness in these circumstances in my view makes it difficult to determine.

From what I see Poz isn't the issue. Its just that Even though Kyle Williams and Stroud have played well they are just on the field for too long. Not having 3 quality linebackers (Poz is good, Draft is ok as a stop gap, Ellison is meh and Harris is raw) also doesn't help the run defense.

Wearing down from being on the field too long AND Weak play at outside linebacker are the 2 main reasons for the poor run D. Poz isn't really the issue the guy is a starting caliber MLB it's just hard to stop the run without quality OLB play and a D-line that is decent but on the field way too long.

I completely agree about the time on the field. However, I think that Poz is starting to show his physical limitations. Even early in games he struggles to win heads up collisions. Even though our OLBs are adequate at best, they are virtually on an island many times. Inside support is coming late or not at all. I am starting to see a trend with big gains to the outside. Our opponents never seem to get to the edge. Their RBs are being contained and turned inside. Where no one is waiting or someone is getting dragged. I have his jersey, trust me I wanted him to be a stud too. Our LBs are weak and I'm starting to think MLB is the most glaring.

Slow and can't tackle....Considering he drops into coverage all the time, how many pass break ups or INT's does he have?

Why is he dropping into coverage all the time. They should have him up to help the run/pass rush. The coaching sucks.

I completely agree about the time on the field. However, I think that Poz is starting to show his physical limitations. Even early in games he struggles to win heads up collisions. Even though our OLBs are adequate at best, they are virtually on an island many times. Inside support is coming late or not at all. I am starting to see a trend with big gains to the outside. Our opponents never seem to get to the edge. Their RBs are being contained and turned inside. Where no one is waiting or someone is getting dragged. I have his jersey, trust me I wanted him to be a stud too. Our LBs are weak and I'm starting to think MLB is the most glaring.

Good observations on Poz...the key is what you point out he rarely wins a physical one on one battle inside....perhaps a move outside would be helpful.

In the draft this year are 2 physical ILB's Brandon Spikes and Rolando MCclain from Alabama...Mcclain is a 'natural' 250lb ILB (compared to a pumped up Poz) and because of it can explode into the oncoming blocker and make a play

I think it's a strength and conditioning issue. For some reason the idiot Bills training staff had him bulking up to win a weightlifting competition. This defense needs a quick downhill Mike. He needs to get rid of some of the muscle and work on speed and agility. Two years ago (albeit in limited action) he seemed quicker and more explosive than he does this year. Gawd I hate this Front Office.

I think that since the Jet game he has done a decent job (keep in mind the guy is coming off a broken arm) and from what I see the guy is failing to give backside help is because there are blockers 4-6 yards downfield. I just think that very few if any MLB's would be doing a good job in this situation. Poz or any MLB can only do so much.

I think it's a strength and conditioning issue. For some reason the idiot Bills training staff had him bulking up to win a weightlifting competition. This defense needs a quick downhill Mike. He needs to get rid of some of the muscle and work on speed and agility. Two years ago (albeit in limited action) he seemed quicker and more explosive than he does this year. Gawd I hate this Front Office.

Its possible...but if you look at the legs/calves of a Poz and compare to a Mcclain...you can see that a mcclain is simply naturally bigger physically allowing for the necessary pop

Also..a 'pumped up' (rather than naturally big) Poz playing inside likely will expereince year after year some type of injury...

Poz's problem is the same as most players on this team. He is much better at taking on the RB at the point of attack and blitzing. So what do our coaches do? They have him run away from the LOS as fast as he can at the snap. Stand there, then run up to make a tackle. He's not a coverage LB, but they're trying to make him one. Simple as that.

Anyone see him blitz right up the middle and flatten Shaub a half second after he threw the ball on Sunday? See him play up and hit Slaton for the fumble? Those are the things he does well. So, why is he more often dropping back into a "zone", just so we can say we have a guy standing in the middle of the field?

Change the defensive scheme and I believe he becomes a very good LB.

Its hard to blame it all on Poz IMO

Williams was playing very well before he got hurt and with him out teams are getting the O-lineman to the second level more easy than before and Poz is getting tied up to easy, he does not shed blockers well and take poor angles.

This can be corrected though. Our LBs are the weak link in the Defense. Ellison makes alot of his tackles downfield.

They should have keep London Flecther . Poz, London and Mitchell would have been a pretty good LB core.

Its possible...but if you look at the legs/calves of a Poz and compare to a Mcclain...you can see that a mcclain is simply naturally bigger physically allowing for the necessary pop

Also..a 'pumped up' (rather than naturally big) Poz playing inside likely will expereince year after year some type of injury...

You hit the nail on the head. Poz is not built to play MLB, at least not in a 4-3. He has a top heavy body and his lower half is very skinny. This is why he gets blown up by smaller RBs or dragged for extra yardage. The guy is tough, he certainly doesn't shy away from contact. He is just not winning at the point of attack.

I think his play can be attributed to alot of the points that have been brought up. Strength and conditioning problems, blockers getting downfield, time of possession, return from injury, and coaching all have alot to do with a players production. In the end it's player v.s. player though, and I see him losing those battles too much. Looking past this train wreck of a coaching staff, somebody is going to have to make a decision IMO. Most good defenses use the MLB position as the focal point and leader of their unit. We need a thumper like Mcclain, bringing that attitude.

Good post. I have done my share of Poz bashing over time comparing him to the Boz. There are several issues regarding our line. Kyle Williams is no Pat Williams but would be even better in rotation with a two gap run stuffer like Pat Williams.

The defense needs a better offense so they aren't on the field so much. Ellison has improved more than any LB on the team which still doesn't make him one of the better OLB's by no means. When it comes to Poz lets not sugar coat this. After 3 years he doesn't have the football instincts to compensate for his lack of speed and below average pass coverage skills. Even Fewell mentioned that he needs to be more of an impact player at the end of last season.

It was mentioned that he rushed the QB in forcing his pass and help create the fumble by Slaton. When he did those things I was thinking when is the last time we saw this from Poz. We don't see these thing on a regular basis.

The real problem with Poz comes from the constant completions QB's throw in the middle of our defense. In fact many tackles by Poz in prior games are on the pass catcher in the middle that he didn't cover and even more irritating on run plays up the middle especially the ones Moats ran for TD's Poz was not looking at the fooball but looking at the traffic. Poz ran in the wrong direction of the play and was swallowed up by a lineman. He doesn't keep his gaps and the rb has a big gain. Many times when he does make the hit on a rb, the opposing rb usually get and extra 2 or 3 yards ala Brian Bosworth. The defense is designed for the LB to fill the gaps when the DT and DE's are occupied. His instinct are still very much like a rookie. Poz unless he get better is destined to a backup role like Holecek, Bailey, Patton, Maddox and Goganious he is no better at this stage of his career. We are better off drafting for a mlb with probowl potential. I don't think Poz has the speed to play outside but I could be wrong.