Microwave Popcorn

Chef Jim

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrected.

That is what we are getting at here. You don't like the taste of it and you expect everybody else to feel the same way. Ya, we get it... You don't like it over conventional popping.

So I guess you are feeling pretty self-satisfied. You picked the perfect place to live and feel self-satisfied. :censored:

No what I'm getting at is if you like the taste of microwave popcorn you're a culinary idiot. But I think I already knew that.

:worthy::lol:

Who said I eat the stuff? I personally don't like all popcorn all that much. But, I will eat popcorn on occasion... I can care less about the difference in taste.

:lol:

Awesome. I hear they have a new **** flavored recipe you should try.

As a matter of fact I think I got that one last night by mistake. :censored:

Awesome. I hear they have a new **** flavored recipe you should try.

As a matter of fact I think I got that one last night by mistake. :censored:

Actually, I forgot to ask... What brand and flavor did you get? I know my wife and children always eat the stuff and get all crazy when I do the shopping and buy the wrong kind (usually the cheap stuff!).

:censored::worthy:

Who said I eat the stuff? I personally don't like all popcorn all that much. But, I will eat popcorn on occasion... I can care less about the difference in taste.

:lol:

I know what you mean. I don't care much for hitting myself in the head with an ice axe either, but every once in a while...

Actually, I forgot to ask... What brand and flavor did you get? I know my wife and children always eat the stuff and get all crazy when I do the shopping and buy the wrong kind (usually the cheap stuff!).

I got your standard with atomic yellow artificial imitation chemical butter flavor.

Here's my answer to the salt question. It's time consuming but doing something right often is. You take each popped kernel out of the popper. Blow in it a few times to cool it off. Lick each popped kernel until moist, sprinkle with salt.

So why did you answer my question about oil with a smart ass salt reply? Was my question that bad?

So why did you answer my question about oil with a smart ass salt reply? Was my question that bad?

No it wasn't bad I just think the chemicals in the popcorn I had last night has effected my brain. I was actually responding to this question.

Regarding the oil I really don't think it matters all that much, at least for me, seeing I don't use a lot. I just use corn oil because I just figured pop corn would work best with corn oil.

I don't know why you'd figure that. Since corn already has corn oil in it, you'd think it would pop without adding any other oil.

Lately, I've noticed several MV popcorn manufacturers that are labeling some of their products as "whole grain". :censored:

I'm not against this ploy - commerce must go on.

Lately, I've noticed several MV popcorn manufacturers that are labeling some of their products as "whole grain". :censored:

My friend told me that she told her 6 year-old daughter to "eat her vegetables" (pointing towards cream corn). The kid retorted, "Mom, corn isn't a vegetable. It's a grain!" :blink: I told her, "She'll be a blast when she's 15!"

I'm not against this ploy - commerce must go on.

Marketing people are :devil:-ing awesome!

I like air popped....I add salt and a little vinegar. mmmm

If microwaved is the only option, I would go with Redenbacher's smart pop stuff.

Do they still make that Jiffy pop stuff, I remember having those at the campfire.

You know its funny. I was about to go make popcorn....then i saw this thread...but im still hungry so im gonna make it anyway :blink:

You gonna share any with the 5th year senior? :devil:

You know chef (disclaimer I'm a popcorn elitist as well), i use my aluminum "wing bowl" (the one I use to sauce my wings) and some aluminum foil on the top and only make popcorn on the stove and at first my family was looking at me like "WTF? Just fire up the microwave." Then they tried the stove-top stuff and they won't even eat the microwave stuff. Guess I've raised a family of "elitists." :censored:

I don't know why you'd figure that. Since corn already has corn oil in it, you'd think it would pop without adding any other oil.

I am not a popcorn expert, but isn't "popping" corn a special kind of grown corn?

From Wiki:

"Corn is able to pop because, unlike other grains, its kernels have a hard moisture-sealed hull and a dense starchy filling. This allows pressure to build inside the kernel until an explosive "pop" results."

"Some strains of corn are now cultivated specifically as popping corns."

I wonder what these strains have do with oil content.

And like I said, it does matter which brand you get... I can tell you that the stuff the Boy Scouts push off on people is crap... Even know they call it gourmet (Trail's End). I refuse to sell it and just give a couple hundred dollars donation every year!

I think the one's my family likes is ActII or Pop Secret. I know they don't like Orville Redenbacher's or Jolly Time.

No way Fug that guy

O and hes a women beater...heard him slap the **** out of his GF...real class act :devil:

Okay, this is screaming for a threadjack and I'm sorry for doing it, Chef.

You heard him slap his girlfriend? I hope you mean, "heard him slap the **** out of his GF and then I went in a stomped a mudhole in his ass." :censored:

BTW - any soccer games coming up, that I should keep and eye peeled for?

Not much happening with the national teams right now. The World Cup qualifying is pretty much wrapped up. In Europe, the focus is on the club teams in the early part of their seasons.

The MLS playoffs are going on right now. The LA Galaxy, with Donovan and Beckham, play this Sunday against Chivas USA (7:30pm ET on ESPN2). It's game 2 of their match-up (the playoff format is a two game, home and home, aggregate goal series). They tied 2-2 in game one, so this game Sunday will decide who moves on to the conference final. I don't watch MLS very often, but like many sports, they bring it up a notch in the playoffs. And Donovan seems to have raised his level of play in the last year or so. It's fun to watch him work.

You gonna share any with the 5th year senior? :devil:

You know chef (disclaimer I'm a popcorn elitist as well), i use my aluminum "wing bowl" (the one I use to sauce my wings) and some aluminum foil on the top and only make popcorn on the stove and at first my family was looking at me like "WTF? Just fire up the microwave." Then they tried the stove-top stuff and they won't even eat the microwave stuff. Guess I've raised a family of "elitists." :censored:

If making popcorn on the stove is as far up the elitists ladder you've climed you've got a long way to go. I'll give you some lessons when I have time seeing I'm a bit busy searching for top quality Champagne and caviar for a small get together on the boat this weekend.

Okay, this is screaming for a threadjack and I'm sorry for doing it, Chef.

You heard him slap his girlfriend? I hope you mean, "heard him slap the **** out of his GF and then I went in a stomped a mudhole in his ass." <_<

[sarcasm_on]

Hey there were other people in the house:

The bystander effect is the somewhat controversial name given to a social psychological phenomenon in cases where individuals do not offer help in an emergency situation when other people are present.

[/sarcasm_off]

Ya, I am waiting for his response. I am glad people are calling him out on this. I hope he did something besides bake some cookies.