Love him or not...Sully is right on...

Buftex

He's been right all along. Those arguing with him have been in denial and turned their anger at him instead of the rightful target..

My take on Jerry Sullivan (who I like) is that he makes the unforgivable sin of telling Buffalo sports fans what they don't want to hear, when they least want to hear it...

He's been right all along. Those arguing with him have been in denial and turned their anger at him instead of the rightful target..

He has been writing the same article for the past decade. It is like shooting fish in a barrell in the Buffalo sports market. There is a reason why many all of Sully's counterparts have gone on to bigger and better gigs, while Sully still writes his column for the Snooze...

And that's what makes him a great columnest....

Ok let's not get carried away here, he is not a great columnist. he writes what most fans are thinking, so his columns do hit home. But I've heard the same conversation at the tailgate's as well as on this board, he just relay's the message to a bigger audience. We can take a dozen of today's posts a put together that article. Not too hard to be critical of this coaching staff, the owner, the front office, and the team at the moment...

He has been writing the same article for the past decade. It is like shooting fish in a barrell in the Buffalo sports market. There is a reason why many all of Sully's counterparts have gone on to bigger and better gigs, while Sully still writes his column for the Snooze...

sometimes you got to stand outside the castle gates yelling 'til your blue in the face. better that than just to roll over a take it...

If his opinions are so obvious, why the heated debates about them on this site including questions about his conduct playing softball cited as evidence of his mean spirit? I think an earlier poster was right, he's guilty of saying what people don't won't to hear publicly. It's OK if they allow themselves to think it or even say it but it's not ok for him to in the news. BTW, my understanding is that the newspaper business isn't doing a lot of hiring these days so staying where he's at doesn't necessarily reflect a lack of talent.

He doesn't write anything anyone with a baseline understanding of football couldn't come up with on their own. He's a columnist because he WANTS to be the guy who is critical, that's what communists do. Reporters report, columnist opine. I think the issue with Buffalo fans is not the message this guy delivers, we know the teams sucks top to bottom, it's that unlike the great ones who do it, either in print, radio or TV, he doesn't do it with class, or humor, or intellect. He does it emotionally and with rancor. It's like he has an axe to grind and anyone who listens on the radio to his weekly show realizes he's an angry person in general and he can spin out of control quickly, due to his anger. Tune in and listen, he can go from talking calmy to angry in 30 seconds. And a good columnist can keep the emotions in check and deliver his opinion based on fact. You lose credibility when you're just angrily rehashing what the readers already know. I can listen to that at 4:15 in the stadium parking lot.

He's not all that great. If he were, he wouldn't be stuck in the 49th smallest media market, and steadily declining.

He doesn't write anything anyone with a baseline understanding of football couldn't come up with on their own. He's a columnist because he WANTS to be the guy who is critical, that's what communists do. Reporters report, columnist opine. I think the issue with Buffalo fans is not the message this guy delivers, we know the teams sucks top to bottom, it's that unlike the great ones who do it, either in print, radio or TV, he doesn't do it with class, or humor, or intellect. He does it emotionally and with rancor. It's like he has an axe to grind and anyone who listens on the radio to his weekly show realizes he's an angry person in general and he can spin out of control quickly, due to his anger. Tune in and listen, he can go from talking calmy to angry in 30 seconds. And a good columnist can keep the emotions in check and deliver his opinion based on fact. You lose credibility when you're just angrily rehashing what the readers already know. I can listen to that at 4:15 in the stadium parking lot.

He's not all that great. If he were, he wouldn't be stuck in the 49th smallest media market, and steadily declining.

Shows what you know. He's highly decorated in the profession and respected from coast to coast by his peers. You say he has no class, humor or intellect. Funny, because I find him clever, he makes me laugh and he's more sophisticated than most anybody else I read. I'm not going to fault you for your taste. If you don't like him, fine. But don't be absurd. A good columnist can keep his emotions in check? That's your criteria? I think you need to get out more.

As for being "stuck," I can live wherever I want, and I choose Buffalo.

But if you're referring to the paper as being substandard in some way, then let me point out the Buffalo News is one of the highest-paying union papers in the country, probably is the nation's most secure paper in terms of layoffs, is one of the most profitable papers in the country (the year I started there it was making about $1 million a week -- profit) and is owned by Warren Buffett. Factor in the cost of living, and working for the Buffalo News is more attractive than the Boston Globe or New York Times.

What a place to be stuck -- in a city that many people feel is an ideal place to raise a family and working for perhaps the most secure paper in the nation.

Wasn't Sully one of the "experts" that said the Bills now have a QB controversy between Fitz and Trent after 2 wins?

WRT to this thread .... Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The Bills deserve a lot of criticism but these guys are actually enjoying complaining far more than they should. Just MHO

Shows what you know. He's highly decorated in the profession and respected from coast to coast by his peers. You say he has no class, humor or intellect. Funny, because I find him clever, he makes me laugh and he's more sophisticated than most anybody else I read. I'm not going to fault you for your taste. If you don't like him, fine. But don't be absurd. A good columnist can keep his emotions in check? That's your criteria? I think you need to get out more.

But if you're referring to the paper as being substandard in some way, then let me point out the Buffalo News is one of the highest-paying union papers in the country, probably is the nation's most secure paper in terms of layoffs, is one of the most profitable papers in the country (the year I started there it was making about $1 million a week -- profit) and is owned by Warren Buffett. Factor in the cost of living, and working for the Buffalo News is more attractive than the Boston Globe or New York Times.

What a place to be stuck -- in a city that many people feel is an ideal place to raise a family and working for perhaps the most secure paper in the nation.

Wow. I'm on your side (and if I wasn't I'd probably change based on that post). But, if you run into Mr. Buffett how bout asking if he has any interest in a pro football team to go with his newspaper

Burn!

While I think Sullivan can be a tad annoying at times (on the radio), I generally agree with his columns.

Ok let's not get carried away here, he is not a great columnist. he writes what most fans are thinking, so his columns do hit home. But I've heard the same conversation at the tailgate's as well as on this board, he just relay's the message to a bigger audience. We can take a dozen of today's posts a put together that article. Not too hard to be critical of this coaching staff, the owner, the front office, and the team at the moment...

I think what makes him a great columnist is that he does put it in writing for the world to see. How many of you in the parking lot or us on the board would walk into Ralphh's office to tell him honestly his problems? Not many - he does it multiple times a week - writes the truth, then walks into thelocker room and pressers. trust me - easier said than done. His job is to sell papers and I think he is good at it.