OL thoughts

No.

But one must be careful in understanding that the Bills "brain trust" involves more than just Jauron.

As I have posted many times, Jauron is only the latest fall guy. We had Williams, Mularkey, and now Jauron. We had Bledsoe, Johnson, Flutie, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards and Fitzpatrick. Yet somehow, the lack of reaching the playoffs has remained consistent. Tom Donahoe and Marv Levy also have been through OBD.

The only people associated with the on-field product who have been with the team (besides Ralph) is Tom Modrak and John Guy.

Those 2 clowns have little to do with coaching, but have alot to do with the level of talent on the field for the past 10 years.

It is my fear, that if fans fever for firing Jauron succeeds, the same fans will forget the main reason for our failing coaches...the failing front office.

To be clear, our front office sucks. Hope that clarifies. ;)

Langston Walker sucks and his absence is the least of the Bills problems. At the vet minimum he's perfect for the Raiders. My biggest B word with this team is that they had ample time after the end of last season to jettison Dockery, Walker, and the OC if none were in their plans. But the Bills have no plan. So they essentially cram a semester worth of play design, learning and fine tuning into a couple of weeks before the final. How bad you want to fail?

Dockery wasn't in their plans, why he was let go when they let him go, who knows........

Walker was in their plans, he just didn't want to be part of their plan of having him play LT. He wanted to stay at RT and he let his attitude and play show it, thats why he was let go

Schonert was also in their plans for this season, but after going through the pre-season with an offence that performed like the bills did, a change had to be made, thats why Turk was sent packing when he was.

Dockery wasn't in their plans, why he was let go when they let him go, who knows........

Walker was in their plans, he just didn't want to be part of their plan of having him play LT. He wanted to stay at RT and he let his attitude and play show it, thats why he was let go

Schonert was also in their plans for this season, but after going through the pre-season with an offence that performed like the bills did, a change had to be made, thats why Turk was sent packing when he was.

I've heard all that before and I'm not really buying it.

I have a hunch the Bills weren't really as high on Walker at any position. So he's their best RT on an exceedingly mediocre front wall. At 5 million per, there's very little return unless a decent pass blocker is worth 5 large. The Bills realized they overpaid for both Doc and Walker. When the situation Peters went from bad to worse, they tried to plug the hole in desperation with a bigger hemorrhoid, Walker. Its like giving the books to the janitor when the accountant suddenly quits.

I can't imagine that the seeds of Schonerts dismissal were only planted in the preseason. After a less than stellar 2008, and assertions that his approach was too complicated for a Stanford grad, the Bills have to had doubts.

I've heard all that before and I'm not really buying it.

I have a hunch the Bills weren't really as high on Walker at any position. So he's their best RT on an exceedingly mediocre front wall. At 5 million per, there's very little return unless a decent pass blocker is worth 5 large. The Bills realized they overpaid for both Doc and Walker. When the situation Peters went from bad to worse, they tried to plug the hole in desperation with a bigger hemorrhoid, Walker. Its like giving the books to the janitor when the accountant suddenly quits.

I can't imagine that the seeds of Schonerts dismissal were only planted in the preseason. After a less than stellar 2008, and assertions that his approach was too complicated for a Stanford grad, the Bills have to had doubts.

The plan was for Walker to slide from RT to LT after Peters left. The problem was that Walker didn't want that and his attitude showed that. DJ has shown in the past that if you don't want to follow their plan and be here, they will show you the door. They did it with Peters, with Crowell, with Dockery, and right now with Parrish.

As for Turk, the seeds may have been planted due to the lack of offence the previous year, but what cemented it was the even worse performance by the offence in the preseason. The Bills knew that something desperate had to be done or else the season was lost before it even started. Like I said, I don't doubt that they were already putting him on a short leash and thats why they switched the offence to a no-huddle, but they gave him the pre-season to show what he could do, and when he flopped, they had to do something drastic to try and save the season before it started

not drafting Oher was a HUGE mistake for this team...how much better would the line look with Oher on the left and Walker still on the right

Well, Didn't they let Walker go before the draft? So they would have had to draft Oher before the draft began

And the fans would have loved it because they made a movie about him so it would mean that Buffalo might get some more national media attention

Well, Didn't they let Walker go before the draft? So they would have had to draft Oher before the draft began

And the fans would have loved it because they made a movie about him so it would mean that Buffalo might get some more national media attention

No. They released Walker not very long before the start of the season.

The FO didn't even ask him before the draft if he wousl switch to LT. Had they and he said he didn't want to they could have drafted a LT instead of Maybin or Levitre. Then they keep Butler at RG and Wood plays LG.

This board ripped me for saying Walker should play where he is told to play. Well look how that worked out. Walker knew he was a marginal RT but a certifiable grease fire at LT. All the Bills had to do was ask him before the draft.

God I hope they fire anybody this week. Someone had to be held responsible...

They traded Peters before the draft. After the draft, they were asked why they didn't pick a LT and they said that they didn't need to, because they believed they already had the answer on their roster and they just wanted to go with their draft board as it was.

So, they didn't draft Oher or anyone else because they felt that it was covered with what would become the Oakland Raiders RT.

The plan was for Walker to slide from RT to LT after Peters left. The problem was that Walker didn't want that and his attitude showed that. DJ has shown in the past that if you don't want to follow their plan and be here, they will show you the door. They did it with Peters, with Crowell, with Dockery, and right now with Parrish.

As for Turk, the seeds may have been planted due to the lack of offence the previous year, but what cemented it was the even worse performance by the offence in the preseason. The Bills knew that something desperate had to be done or else the season was lost before it even started. Like I said, I don't doubt that they were already putting him on a short leash and thats why they switched the offence to a no-huddle, but they gave him the pre-season to show what he could do, and when he flopped, they had to do something drastic to try and save the season before it started

The players you cite were not shown the door because they didn't follow a plan; they were either overpaid and underperformed (doc and roscoe), wanted more jack in the middle of their existing deal (peters), or made a personal decision based on a injury that defied the FO's expectations (crowell). I seriously doubt DJ is the executor of any of those personnel actions (save for demoting Roscoe, who if accounts are correct, was on the block during the off-season).

The plan regarding Walker's move to LT following Peters departure was knee-jerk on the Bills part. Somehow with repetition this canard has morphed into their well-crafted plan to upgrade the OL when their most athletically gifted lineman left. Maybe Walker had no incentive to switch, and demonstrated that in so many ways to the staff. Or maybe he was just plain bad and overpaid.

The Bills did what all mediocre organizations do, the easy thing, even if it flies in the face of the obvious poor outcome.

Our tackles are terrible. Worst in the NFL. Who knows if Bell really has the talent to eventually develop, but he is a huge liability right now. Our RT tackle position is a revolving door of players with little or no talent since Butler was injured.

It was insane for the front office to go into the season with this group of o-lineman, and it is not only the offense that is suffering, but the defense as well. I believe some of the injuries on defense are a direct result of exhausted defenders who are on the field for 2/3 of the game.

Our OT situation is a damn mess

Yes, and that is what we have courtesy of a front office whose ultimate motive was to dump salary. Peters was our best Olineman. I did not agree with his attitude re:his contract, but if you want to trade him, make sure you have a quality replacement. Not insurance, a quality STARTER. Either draft a guy high (likely more expensive than peters) pay Peters or get someone else. They Moved LW to peters spot because they were already paying him. When it became sorely obvious he is not cut out to be a LT (he was decent on the right) they saw another opportunity to dump salary. As it now stands, next year is uncapped. With that labor uncertainty, ol' Ralph wanted to be on the hook for as few big contracts as possible. He'd like to survey the financial landscape re: the labor situation and it's too early to know what will happen. That's what we're stuck with. There is no direction to this front office in regards to winning. Everything is done with an eye toward the bottom line. If you are going to run a team that way, you need a quality front office that is good at drafting exactly what you need-a la Pittsburgh Steelers, because it is inherently more cost effective than the free agent route. We don't have that at all, so our on the field product sucks.

Yes, and that is what we have courtesy of a front office whose ultimate motive was to dump salary. Peters was our best Olineman. I did not agree with his attitude re:his contract, but if you want to trade him, make sure you have a quality replacement. Not insurance, a quality STARTER. Either draft a guy high (likely more expensive than peters) pay Peters or get someone else. They Moved LW to peters spot because they were already paying him. When it became sorely obvious he is not cut out to be a LT (he was decent on the right) they saw another opportunity to dump salary. As it now stands, next year is uncapped. With that labor uncertainty, ol' Ralph wanted to be on the hook for as few big contracts as possible. He'd like to survey the financial landscape re: the labor situation and it's too early to know what will happen. That's what we're stuck with. There is no direction to this front office in regards to winning. Everything is done with an eye toward the bottom line. If you are going to run a team that way, you need a quality front office that is good at drafting exactly what you need-a la Pittsburgh Steelers, because it is inherently more cost effective than the free agent route. We don't have that at all, so our on the field product sucks.

+1

And I think it is amplified by mistakes here and there of who they actually put on the field.......

I am wondering why Chris Ellis gets no time and why Harris is out there only because the stinker in front of him got hurt

I really hope that this team gets smart in the offseason and invests both picks AND money to free agents to upgrade these lines......

A DT is needed badly next to Stroud and that is probably where we should go with our 1st round pick should it be high enough........

We need veteran OL that can actually come in and play when called upon

You seem like a nice person John and I'm not patronizing you here, but....

Why should we have any confidence they'll find good players if the same flunkies keep running the personnel side of the house, supervised by someone who grew up selling tickets and marketing a team? They are incompetent and probably not going anywhere. Management is among the worst in the entire league.

John Kerry had a plan.

Maybe we should let him run the Bills

Awesome. I believe Jimma Carter had one as well.

You just dont do what the bills do and be successful and what I mean by that is put rookies side by side with each other AND use inexperienced mediocre guys next to them.

Bell is a athletic talent.......but the fact is that when he started to struggle we DIDN"T HAVE A VETERAN GUY TO FALL BACK TO who could even play average.......we are mixing and maxing PRACTICE SQUAD PLAYERS for the RT side.....then you have two rookies starting every game.......

WTF was this team thinking......

what were they thinking -

the front office clown show was laughing its ass off at the $15 million they saved by gutting the OL and still set season tickets sales records