Jim Kelly Article on Bills.com

Bruuuuce

Bah, another JP apologist:

Fitzpatrick has made some throws that I’m not sure Trent (Edwards) would have made. I’m not saying Trent can’t make those throws. I just don’t know if he would have made those throws.

Interesting article. Especially that it is on the official bills website.

Makes me wonder. If the organization was 100 % behind Trent, they would

not allow that article on their website. Makes me think the org is not behind

Trent all the way and if Fitzy has a good game this weekend, we may have seen

the last of Trent.

There are some that insist that's a terrible idea, but I'm not one of 'em.

But I'd prefer to see Jim as QBs coach under new Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator...

Mike Leach

He has come out and publicly stated, numerous times over since he retired, that he is not interested in coaching.

He has, however, stated that he would be interested in approaching Ralph about a partial/ minority ownership with the Bills.

Gotta love Jimbo. Not one to pull punches even on the team's official website. Calling out TO, Edwards, the OT's, and Bledsoe, Flutie, Johnson, and Losman while he's at it.

Don't know about him coaching, but he would make a great owner (obviously as part of an ownership group). Knows the game, knows what Buffalo and its fans are about, and has other interests so I don't think he would meddle too much.

It's a good article for several reasons. The main one being that we need a QB for this franchise and we don't quite have one yet. Going back to Trent's comment a couple weeks ago about being a Bills player, not a fan... You know what goes a long way for making a player great in the league? Someone that is a fan of the team he's on regardless of where he is playing or what team he used to root for. This doesn't just go for QBs, it goes for everyone on the field. Couple of examples: Brett Favre - he wanted to play for the Vikings and look what he's done. Tom Brady and Randy Moss (yes I do not like them but....) their stats speak for themselves. Chad Ochocinco - last year he was in the dog house with the team for his attitude and had a terrible season and this year he is playing like his all pro self because he keeps his mouth shut and wants the team to win. Taking a look at our team... the best examples I can think of are Aaron Schobel and Terrence McGee. Schobel likes playing for Buffalo and wanted to stay here. Injuries aside, he is, year in and year out, one of our most consistent players. McGee wanted to play out his career for Buffalo - another good, consistent player. Now look at T.O. does he want to be here? He sure is playing like he doesn't and stats speak for themselves (Evans runs hard and doesn't drop balls, makes plays when the ball comes his way). I can't really speak for the young guys, but one player I'd like to see get some action is Steve Johnson. The guy has the size and skills but he's buried on the depth chart because of his 7th rd, 2nd yr status. The guy freesytles about the Bills and has made an impact when he got in last year, potentially has the opportunity to become a big factor in our offense if given the chance.

Sorry for the long idealist post, but as a long time athlete who has been on winning and losing teams, I know from many years of experience that this is a game changing attitude.

I like Jim, but it was a bit odd to read this article and his critique given his refusal to even play for the Bills when he was drafted in part because our substandard offensive line at the time. Right now, our line is piss poor. One would have thought that Kelly (of all people) would appreciate the problems our QB (and other skill players) face because of the state of our line.

Of course, Kelly was spoiled playing behind the line that he had. Perhaps if Kelly played behind this line, he would appreciate where the source of our troubles is.

I love the fact he called out T.O. and Jim is right, T.O. has to take advantage of the limited passes that come his way. For sure if Kelly was QB'ing this team he would have got in T.O.s face about it , something that this coaching staff seems scarred to do.....

It's a shame what happened to Jim's son or he might feel different about coaching. That being said I hope he gets the money group together to keep this franchise in Buffalo because that is the only way I think the franchise stays here.

And maybe that is more important than coaching at OBD.

Hmmm… I'd expect a little more depth of insight from our hall of fame hero. Stability at QB is good. O-line can do better, especially on the edges. Good D helps the O. Blah blah blah.

Dull stuff from the old man.

Yea, dull stuff but Kelly's writing it for the Bills so he has to try to appear diplomatic. I generally enjoy his articles because as diplomatic as he tries to sound it's usually pretty obvious what he's thinking. Jim talking about Edwards wouldn't have attempted some of those Fitzp. passes downfield, sitting might allow Trent to refocus on playing his game and not just learning the game plan, point to Jim believing a large part of the offense's troubles are due to Trent's play. It's clear Kelly still believes Trent could be a good quarterback, unlike the article Jim wrote in 2007 when Trent replaced JP and Kelly pretty much threw JP under the bus.

And I agree with others here that no way does this get posted if the front office wasn't willing to consider Fitzpatrick as full time starter.

And while this article may seem like old news to those here at TBD, I find it worthwhile to know that Kelly sees things pretty much as a lot of us fans do.

Gotta love Jimbo. Not one to pull punches even on the team's official website. Calling out TO, Edwards, the OT's, and Bledsoe, Flutie, Johnson, and Losman while he's at it.

Don't know about him coaching, but he would make a great owner (obviously as part of an ownership group). Knows the game, knows what Buffalo and its fans are about, and has other interests so I don't think he would meddle too much.

How would you think that he would not meddle?

It's a great article for the simple reason that it's not the usual drivel Chris Brown writes on the site. I'm sure Jimbo doesn't mind if he gets fired as he doesn't need the paycheck like Brown does, but my god, Chris, come on.