Pat Williams

CAVEDAWG

:w00t: Anyone remember an undrafted player by the name of Pat Williams? He use to play for us along side Ted Washington!!! Now that was a Great Interior Defesive line back then! Then what does Bills management ( I BILLieve it was Tom Donahue...forgive the spelling of his name ) back then do? Let him go just when he was coming into his prime! He is now 37 years old and still playing for the Vikings. His name was called alot today making positive plays. The Vikings lost today but I blame a BAD called penelty. The Refs BLEW a Touchdown pass that Farve threw. Oh well don't really care but Pat was still playing great "D" today for the Vikings. Wish we still had him!!!

I remember an interview: They asked him why the bills got rid of him, and he said "theyre stupid".

He went on: "I had my kids here and I told them i wanted to stay and find a deal."

Remember Fletcher, Spikes, and Sam Adams?

if i remember correctly, the difference between the entire contract we offered him and Minn"s offer was LESS THAN a million dollars. imo, it was the biggest mistake the FO has made in the past decade.

That and T.O. !! :w00t: Was really hoping fopr more!!

:w00t: Anyone remember an undrafted player by the name of Pat Williams? He use to play for us along side Ted Washington!!! Now that was a Great Interior Defesive line back then! Then what does Bills management ( I BILLieve it was Tom Donahue...forgive the spelling of his name ) back then do? Let him go just when he was coming into his prime! He is now 37 years old and still playing for the Vikings. His name was called alot today making positive plays. The Vikings lost today but I blame a BAD called penelty. The Refs BLEW a Touchdown pass that Farve threw. Oh well don't really care but Pat was still playing great "D" today for the Vikings. Wish we still had him!!!

winfield 2!

winfield 2!

Lets look at why and how big name guys were let go in the last 10 years

Winfield- took the money the Vikes blew us out of the water he wasn't going to give the Bills a home town discount.

Clemens- Took the money and ran 49ers blew everyone out of the water. While still good not worth his contract.

Fletcher- Wasn't sure if he wanted to stay and he was towards the end of his career (Yes I know he is still playing at a high level but it wasn't a terrible thing to assume he was going to go down in production).

Spikes- He was never the same dominant player after the injury. Even now while still serviceable he is still a shell of what he was.

Sam Adams- Guy was just old. hasn't done much since

McGahee- Got decent value for him and didn't want to be here.

Peters- Got good value and front office wasn't going to pay him big after a sub par year.

PAT WILLIAMS- WHY DID YOU LET THIS GUY GO???? he was willing to stay with a fair deal and he was a great player who has only given Minnesota years of high level production.

Greer- Good but not great and the Bills just weren't willing to pay a guy they had replacements for.

:w00t:Anyone remember an undrafted player by the name of Pat Williams? He use to play for us along side Ted Washington!!! Now that was a Great Interior Defesive line back then! Then what does Bills management ( I BILLieve it was Tom Donahue...forgive the spelling of his name ) back then do? Let him go just when he was coming into his prime! He is now 37 years old and still playing for the Vikings. His name was called alot today making positive plays. The Vikings lost today but I blame a BAD called penelty. The Refs BLEW a Touchdown pass that Farve threw. Oh well don't really care but Pat was still playing great "D" today for the Vikings. Wish we still had him!!!

Get over it already. I guess I should still be pissed we traded Lamonica to Oakland.

You and me both, CAVEDAWG.

When Williams was allowed to be sent packing, the whole defense imploded as it was predicated on those 2 huge, defensive tackles clogging up opposing offensive lines. IMO, it wasn't until the Bills landed Stroud that some semblance of order once again returned to the Bills D line.

I also felt the same way when they did not compete for Antoine Winfield. Though I know some will disagree with this, Winfield is still a stud for the Vikings just like Williams. I can still remember a play, against the Dolphins on Monday Night when Ricky Williams was the rage of the league (pre-doobies), and on this play Williams came out on the edge, by himself. He was a freight train for defenders to tackle, and here comes little Winfield up from his corner position to hammer Williams, BY HIMSELF, for either no gain or a 2 yard loss- I can't remember. I thought that he was one of those guys they should have hung onto, despite the contract demands. Clements was a ridiculous contract offer, and I would not have competed with that money. But I liked Winfield.

Those 2 guys are ones you build a D around. Looking back, I also think that it was a mistake to let Fletcher go, too. Down here in DC, I occasionally watch some Redskins games. Fletcher is still doing it. He has been probably one of the few bright spots on the Redskins roster these past few years. And he is an ironman. Never injured. I like the sound of a linebacking corp of Fletcher, Poz, and Mitchell.

You and me both, CAVEDAWG.

When Williams was allowed to be sent packing, the whole defense imploded as it was predicated on those 2 huge, defensive tackles clogging up opposing offensive lines. IMO, it wasn't until the Bills landed Stroud that some semblance of order once again returned to the Bills D line.

I also felt the same way when they did not compete for Antoine Winfield. Though I know some will disagree with this, Winfield is still a stud for the Vikings just like Williams. I can still remember a play, against the Dolphins on Monday Night when Ricky Williams was the rage of the league (pre-doobies), and on this play Williams came out on the edge, by himself. He was a freight train for defenders to tackle, and here comes little Winfield up from his corner position to hammer Williams, BY HIMSELF, for either no gain or a 2 yard loss- I can't remember. I thought that he was one of those guys they should have hung onto, despite the contract demands. Clements was a ridiculous contract offer, and I would not have competed with that money. But I liked Winfield.

Those 2 guys are ones you build a D around. Looking back, I also think that it was a mistake to let Fletcher go, too. Down here in DC, I occasionally watch some Redskins games. Fletcher is still doing it. He has been probably one of the few bright spots on the Redskins roster these past few years. And he is an ironman. Never injured. I like the sound of a linebacking corp of Fletcher, Poz, and Mitchell.

Yes I remember Winfield always tackling opposing players. He was a great corner for us! He made alot of solo tackles and the guys would go flying....HE HE HE!! :censored:

Winfield was good, but letting him go was no where near the mistake that letting Williams go was. Winfield was replaceable, and frankly, for as good of a tackler as he was, his tackling skills weren't needed once we got Spikes and had decent LBs. Winfield's tackling was more useful with the likes of Eddie Robinson on the field. But Winfield was replaceable.

:censored: Anyone remember an undrafted player by the name of Pat Williams? He use to play for us along side Ted Washington!!! Now that was a Great Interior Defesive line back then! Then what does Bills management ( I BILLieve it was Tom Donahue...forgive the spelling of his name ) back then do? Let him go just when he was coming into his prime! He is now 37 years old and still playing for the Vikings. His name was called alot today making positive plays. The Vikings lost today but I blame a BAD called penelty. The Refs BLEW a Touchdown pass that Farve threw. Oh well don't really care but Pat was still playing great "D" today for the Vikings. Wish we still had him!!!

It was pretty much the same thing they did with Ted Washington.

Like Williams, Washington really liked being in Buffalo. They didn't have to offer him the moon to stay. He just wanted fair compensation. They wouldn't pay fair market value. Washington was getting long in the tooth, but still had a few good seasons left. The Bills won't pay a proven force like Williams or Washington, yet they'll squander millions on damaged goods like McGahee, has-been QBs like Bledsoe, project QBs like Losman, reaches like McCargo and Parrish, and an endless string of 1st round DBs, (who usually jump ship just about the time they're seasoned and playing like pro-bowlers). The lack of common sense at One Bills Drive is second only to that of that at Two Bills Drive. :lol:

The only time the Bills have had a decent defense in recent memory is when they were able to stop the run or could pressure the QB. These were teams with Adams, Washington, and/or Williams.

For some reason, in recent years, the Bills have put a premium on DBs and largely ignored the middle of the front line. As if any old wide body could fit the bill. Hell, I don't care how good your DBs are - if the QB has all day to scan the field, he's gonna find an open receiver eventually. Conversely, if the QB if heavily pressured all day as a result of an ever collapsing pocket, he's more likely to fumble, lose yards, throw INTS, etc. A dominant pass rush can make average DBs look like all stars.

So why not put emphasis on the D-line? It helps the pass tremendously, but more importantly, keeps the opponents run game in check and makes the linebackers instantly better - something that's been sorely lacking since the days of the aforementioned DTs.

It was pretty much the same thing they did with Ted Washington.

Like Williams, Washington really liked being in Buffalo. They didn't have to offer him the moon to stay. He just wanted fair compensation. They wouldn't pay fair market value. Washington was getting long in the tooth, but still had a few good seasons left. The Bills won't pay a proven force like Williams or Washington, yet they'll squander millions on damaged goods like McGahee, has-been QBs like Bledsoe, project QBs like Losman, reaches like McCargo and Parrish, and an endless string of 1st round DBs, (who usually jump ship just about the time they're seasoned and playing like pro-bowlers). The lack of common sense at One Bills Drive is second only to that of that at Two Bills Drive. :censored:

The only time the Bills have had a decent defense in recent memory is when they were able to stop the run or could pressure the QB. These were teams with Adams, Washington, and/or Williams.

For some reason, in recent years, the Bills have put a premium on DBs and largely ignored the middle of the front line. As if any old wide body could fit the bill. Hell, I don't care how good your DBs are - if the QB has all day to scan the field, he's gonna find an open receiver eventually. Conversely, if the QB if heavily pressured all day as a result of an ever collapsing pocket, he's more likely to fumble, lose yards, throw INTS, etc. A dominant pass rush can make average DBs look like all stars.

So why not put emphasis on the D-line? It helps the pass tremendously, but more importantly, keeps the opponents run game in check and makes the linebackers instantly better - something that's been sorely lacking since the days of the aforementioned DTs.

I agree but it's the system they are using now. Smaller quicker linemen. Give me a widebody anyday that can block the sun! At least one that is fit for his size. Don't need any that need oxygen machines just to breathe. :lol::D

When we had Ted and Pat both what an awesome interior DL we had. Ted and Pat used to alternate in Pat's early days. I remember after a game Pat Williams explained their approach. He said "first he (Ted) punishes them, then I punishes them, then they be about done." Man, when was the last time an opposing interior OL felt about done after facing us. I think Stroud and Williams are quite good, but not like the old days. And then Sam Adams after that and we let him go.

The thing with the idiot Donahoe and Pat Williams was not even a money thing. He wanted to bring his own people in so that HE would get credit for the team, not his predecessor. He once joked that his job wouldn't be done until he had replaced all the players who were here before he arrived. That was his stupid insecure mentality after he was booted out of Pittsburgh in the power struggle with Cowher.

When we had Ted and Pat both what an awesome interior DL we had. Ted and Pat used to alternate in Pat's early days. I remember after a game Pat Williams explained their approach. He said "first he (Ted) punishes them, then I punishes them, then they be about done." Man, when was the last time an opposing interior OL felt about done after facing us. I think Stroud and Williams are quite good, but not like the old days. And then Sam Adams after that and we let him go.

The thing with the idiot Donahoe and Pat Williams was not even a money thing. He wanted to bring his own people in so that HE would get credit for the team, not his predecessor. He once joked that his job wouldn't be done until he had replaced all the players who were here before he arrived. That was his stupid insecure mentality after he was booted out of Pittsburgh in the power struggle with Cowher.

NewHampshire, If you look back collectively on the Donahoe era (five years) and the Levy era (two years) there were a lot of personnel blunders made in both the draft and free agency. This franchise has been set back quite a bit by incompetent front office staffing. In my view, there are no quick fixes. Only by drafting smartly and bringing in productive free agents can this team move forward. The T.O. acquisition was foolish from a football and cost standpoint.

Building from the lines (OL & DL) is a good strategy to take. Getting a franchise qb is another thing that must be accomplished before this team becomes competitive. Very easy to say but difficult to do.