Donte Whitner

John Adams

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely Whitner at SS and Byrd at FS... also Bills seem to play alot of 4-2-5 looks w/ 3 safeties instead of 3CB's with Whitner/Scott acting as a hybrid LB/S a rover position if you will. Take a look at the Saints game.... it was their base defense that game

Jarus has more ints in last 3 games than Donte has in 3+ seasons! Enough said. Our safteies, I would leave alone. 9 ints in last 2 games tells me to leave our Dbs as they are. Maybe Donte can go back to CB as a niockel/dime guy for my money.

Your right, unless you want your safeties to be able to tackle and cover from time to time.

Jarus has more ints in last 3 games than Donte has in 3+ seasons! Enough said. Our safteies, I would leave alone. 9 ints in last 2 games tells me to leave our Dbs as they are. Maybe Donte can go back to CB as a niockel/dime guy for my money.

You guys are all a bunch of dopes.

Jairus Byrd is playing free safety. Whitner is best at strong safety. Whitner was playing free earlier this year because without a healthy Byrd, our best tandem was Whitner at FS, Scott at SS. With a healthy Byrd, the best tandem is Byrd at FS and Whitner at SS.

On top of that, it's not really the SS job to get interceptions, even in the Tampa 2. Think back to the days when Monte Kiffin was running a tight ship down in Tampa. Who was the SS on all of those Bucs squads? John Lynch. What was Lynch known for? Interceptions? Didn't think so. He was known for taking your damn head off with big hits and being solid in the run game. He had 26 career INT's in 13 seasons. THAT is the job of a SS in the Tampa 2.

Let's study football before we post guys. Seriously.

On top of that, it's not really the SS job to get interceptions, even in the Tampa 2. Think back to the days when Monte Kiffin was running a tight ship down in Tampa. Who was the SS on all of those Bucs squads? John Lynch. What was Lynch known for? Interceptions? Didn't think so. He was known for taking your damn head off with big hits and being solid in the run game. He had 26 career INT's in 13 seasons. THAT is the job of a SS in the Tampa 2.

Exactly just like Kurt Shultz was for the Bills - he was the enforcer - if you catch the ball you are going to get a BIG hit and hesitate before you attempt to make the catch listening for the train. These types tend to get fumbles from hits more than interceptions.

Whitner has 3 career INTs.

I don't hate him as much as others but the secondary is playing better without him.

Agreed. I think he's a solid player. But...Jarius Byrd almost almost tied Whitners career interceptions against the Jets if Reggie Corner hadn't taken one away from him. Byrd looks like a stud so far.

Move Whitner back to SS (where he was drafted and belongs) and keep Byrd at FS....with a REAL FS Whitner might be able to flourish finally.

This seems to make the most sense...I say give him a chance with Byrd before you end the experiment. A few half decent LBs in front of them wouldn't hurt either.

The strong and free safety positions seem much improved. Maybe guys aren't making the big hits without Whitner but they get turnovers and are often in position. I say Whitner returns in the Nickel package but I'm sure Dick will do the wrong thing and return him to starter...just like he wrongfully returned Lynch to starter.

yeah, and freddy looks real good the past few games! maybe we need to stick to one running back and use the other as a change of pace back instead of this changing everyother series crap! also try to establish the run early and often. i'd start lynch.

Jairus Byrd is playing free safety. Whitner is best at strong safety. Whitner was playing free earlier this year because without a healthy Byrd, our best tandem was Whitner at FS, Scott at SS. With a healthy Byrd, the best tandem is Byrd at FS and Whitner at SS.

And Donte Whitner is an enforcer and great box S because ... ? Whitner is not a big guy and has gotten dinged up every year he has played and it is simply not playing to his strength to have him go down in the box.

This seems to make the most sense...I say give him a chance with Byrd before you end the experiment. A few half decent LBs in front of them wouldn't hurt either.

Agreed, besides our front 4 has actually gotten some pressure lately which helps our DB's a ton. That said the Bills are a stud OLB short of a really good D. it actually helps our pass D when we actually have a lead in the 4th so teams must pass.

Then again, the biggest thing Russ and co can do to help the D is get an offensive line that can help lynch and fred control the clock so the D isn't on the field for 40 minutes a game

Agreed, besides our front 4 has actually gotten some pressure lately which helps our DB's a ton. That said the Bills are a stud OLB short of a really good D. it actually helps our pass D when we actually have a lead in the 4th so teams must pass.

Then again, the biggest thing Russ and co can do to help the D is get an offensive line that can help lynch and fred control the clock so the D isn't on the field for 40 minutes a game

Am I crazy in thinking that the best course of action for the D is to put the PSU guys on the outside and try and get a stud MLB?