Job Search websites

WVUFootball29

My job search has really taken a toll on me since July and I think I've looked at every possible site with no real prospects. Monster, Careerbuilder, HotJobs, Linkedin, and Craigslist have netted me a lot of applications, but only 1 interview...for a minimum wage job...for which I was declined (talk about a kick in the balls, I swear finishing my MBA is a waste of money)

Anyways, does anyone have any recommendations for job searching that has gotten them good results? I need a new place to start looking so I was hoping you guys might have a few places I should try looking.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My job search has really taken a toll on me since July and I think I've looked at every possible site with no real prospects. Monster, Careerbuilder, HotJobs, Linkedin, and Craigslist have netted me a lot of applications, but only 1 interview...for a minimum wage job...for which I was declined (talk about a kick in the balls, I swear finishing my MBA is a waste of money)

Anyways, does anyone have any recommendations for job searching that has gotten them good results? I need a new place to start looking so I was hoping you guys might have a few places I should try looking.

I hear the Bills are looking for a head coach.....

Seriosuly tho a good place to try (and i may be way off) but a colleges career services website could point you you in the direction of people looking for work. Its how i found my job last summer but then again im a college student so i dont know if that will help...just a thought

for me I concentrate on retail and retail support and I go directly to the company career sites and set up job agents so I get daily emails for matches that fit my criteria.....Linked is a tool I use when I apply to companies to look who I might know that has a connection and I reach out to them for any help they are willing to give.......its all a numbers game....something will hit for you....and me....hopefully

www.indeed.com

Basically it compiles all of the postings from the big sites, but picks up some lesser known as well.

I get these every day. Indeed does a pretty good job.

Bottom line though is your best resource is networking. If you can see a job posted, then everyone can see it. With 10% unemployment - your chances suck w/o a connection. Think of all the jobs being filled by word of mouth with so many people knowing someone looking for work.

I get these every day. Indeed does a pretty good job.

Bottom line though is your best resource is networking. If you can see a job posted, then everyone can see it. With 10% unemployment - your chances suck w/o a connection. Think of all the jobs being filled by word of mouth with so many people knowing someone looking for work.

Aint that the truth. I really need to work on networking, something I neglected near the end of college.

I don't know what you're skills set is...but try Dice.com.

Haven't had much luck with DICE, most jobs are looking for more experience than I have in IT. Well, paper experience. Quick rundown of skills. Bachelors in Sport Management, MBA-Technology Management to be complete in March. All my IT type work has been done on my own so technically no professional experience. I would like to get my certs, but i'm kinda strapped for cash for those at the moment. Work experience includes Law Enforcement, some retail and service industry, and an internship as a Database Administrator.

I so a lot of career fairs, have one tomorrow as a matter of fact, and I find most of my candidates at these. It's nice to meet people face to face first before interviewing. Anyone can sit at home and look at postings on websites and email a resume. And if you find one of these fairs, wear a suit or at least a tie. You have no idea what people wear to these things. If a guy comes up in jeans and a polo shirt my first reaction is: "no, I'm not looking to hire IT guys."

Just noticed you post above regarding IT. Wear a tie anyway. :unsure:

problem that i have found with the job fairs that they hold here in richmond is they are full of insurance companies looking for commission sales people, the armed forces or academic institutions, the latter 2 looking to sign people up....they have been for the most part very disappointing for me...

I so a lot of career fairs, have one tomorrow as a matter of fact, and I find most of my candidates at these. It's nice to meet people face to face first before interviewing. Anyone can sit at home and look at postings on websites and email a resume. And if you find one of these fairs, wear a suit or at least a tie. You have no idea what people wear to these things. If a guy comes up in jeans and a polo shirt my first reaction is: "no, I'm not looking to hire IT guys."

I think job fairs are much better too. I was recently at one down at WVU and thought I had made some good contacts, but no calls or emails even after follow up.

Love the Polo shirt comment. LOL. I saw plenty of them walking around the career fair too.

I think job fairs are much better too. I was recently at one down at WVU and thought I had made some good contacts, but no calls or emails even after follow up.

Love the Polo shirt comment. LOL. I saw plenty of them walking around the career fair too.

I was being kind with the polo shirt thing.

WVU, I know a lot of sales people who have used a site called The Ladders, but you need to pay to use it, and for the most part the jobs on there are looking at at least 5 years experience I believe. Do you know some companies you would like to work for? If so do some research and send the CEO, CFO, etc a hand written letter with a well though reason why your skills fit into their current strategy, and you will follow up with him/her and their admin to set up a follow up conversation.Now, don't do this with a Fortune 500, but for them find the divison president or VP of Ops etc. Guess what I am saying is get out of HR, and get to the people who do the hiring!!! You will most likely not get an inetrview with the CEO, but I am pretty sure that person is going to tell someone to interview you..you got gumption and balls and what not for sending to the CEO.

And yes, hand written will mnake all the diffrence in the world here...it is amazing the responce I get to my hand written thank you notes after meetings. It will make you stand out.

I'm about to get back into the job search for the first time in 5 years and not looking forward to that process at all. Luckily I have that experience now, but I still expect it to be a pain. It sounds like I had some of the same issues you're mentioning. One thing that eventually paid off for me was finding sites focused on listing jobs only in the field I was looking for. I don't know what they would be for you, but if you can find them, it will probably help.

WVU, I know a lot of sales people who have used a site called The Ladders, but you need to pay to use it, and for the most part the jobs on there are looking at at least 5 years experience I believe. Do you know some companies you would like to work for? If so do some research and send the CEO, CFO, etc a hand written letter with a well though reason why your skills fit into their current strategy, and you will follow up with him/her and their admin to set up a follow up conversation.Now, don't do this with a Fortune 500, but for them find the divison president or VP of Ops etc. Guess what I am saying is get out of HR, and get to the people who do the hiring!!! You will most likely not get an inetrview with the CEO, but I am pretty sure that person is going to tell someone to interview you..you got gumption and balls and what not for sending to the CEO.

And yes, hand written will mnake all the diffrence in the world here...it is amazing the responce I get to my hand written thank you notes after meetings. It will make you stand out.

This sounds like something out of the book called "What Color is my Parachute?" Did you happen to read it? :doh:

I just started reading it and it seems like a great book to help you with finding a new job/career.

problem that i have found with the job fairs that they hold here in richmond is they are full of insurance companies looking for commission sales people, the armed forces or academic institutions, the latter 2 looking to sign people up....they have been for the most part very disappointing for me...

You know I just came back froma fair today and you're right. I was looking at it from a recruiter's perspective and not a job seeker. There were 18 companies there and only one good one ( :doh: ), however I find lots of good candidates at these. Thanks for pointing that out for the OP.

This sounds like something out of the book called "What Color is my Parachute?" Did you happen to read it? :doh:

I just started reading it and it seems like a great book to help you with finding a new job/career.

Havent but that'll give me something to read. ThanksLana

Oh, also, I have a tentative interview set up with Aldi, but wasn't told what the position was. Waiting to see what this is all about.

What do you want to do? You've got an audience of hundreds of people right here....make it clear what kind of job you are seeking. Employers don't like "I'll take any job" (I actually saw that once on a resume). "Will work for any salary" is another one I've seen that should be avoided.

I agree with Chef that you should identify companies you would like to work for (and who likely have jobs that would fit your skills) and write them letters. If they are looking for someone with your skills, you'll get noticed. Otherwise, probably not. Trust me, after reading 30 repetitive resumes on Monster, I'm on autopilot. Those big sites are just as crappy for employers as for job seekers.