Do the Bills just ruin QB's?

Pat7s

Ya know I've been thinking... Since 1999 we've had one QB who knew what he was doing, and as disappointing as he was it was Drew Bledsoe. Aside from him, we've had Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, and now Trent Edwards.

Johnson had problems with holding the ball too long and either checking down or throwing a bomb.

Van Pelt... God Bess him he tried.

Kelly Holcomb: Captain Check down, took what defense gave him

JP Losman: Long bombs or check down. Also held onto the ball too long

Trent Edwards: Captain check down and is holding the ball too long.

In college these guys threw down field. I know the pro game is a world of difference, but there can't be a single one of the QB's we had, excluding Van Pelt and Bledsoe, that didn't want to throw it to the starting wide receivers and not the running back or slot receiver.

To me it's obvious that our last few coaches simply tell their QB's to take no risks with the football. QB is a position full of risks. Do you think Brett Favre wa thinking about throwing picks when he won that barn burner vs. San Fran a couple weeks ago? I know none of the guys we had are Favre, but even decent QB's take chances. It's like the Bills coach them to not lose instead of win.

We sit here year after year blaming the QB's, when to me it's clearly a lack of confident coaching that just ruins the play of every QB we've had. Thoughts?

To me it's obvious that our last few coaches simply tell their QB's to take no risks with the football. QB is a position full of risks.

Why is this obvious? Do you not remember everyone going after Mularkey with a pitch fork after throwing the ball in Miami's endzone with a big lead, and Fairchild for throwing deep vs. Denver with a lead and 2 minutes left? Yah maybe Fairchild and Schonert sucked. But Mularkey, Killdrive, and Dan Henning seem to be doing fine elsewhere. All our QB's have sucked.

No the bills just haven't found a qb who's any good. If Losman was as good as his mythical standards fans have applied to him around here he wouldn't be in a rag tag league. Edwards is just as bad as losman, maybe worse. Van Pelt, Johnson,Holcomb,Losman,Edwards nothing more than at the absolute most backup qb's. I find it hillarious when people still argue about Losman,Edwards when they're both so awful.

Yes. More than any other position in the No Fun League, the QB is developed by the pro staff. The pro passing game is very different from the college game. That is why coaches like Mike Holmgren or Mike Shanahan always seem to have all pro QBs while Dick Jauron's QBs always stink.

Yes, but only to a point. In most cases, the Bills haven't given their QBs much help in the last decade, but by the same token, their QBs really haven't been very good, either. The one fairly good QB they had was Drew Bledsoe, but if you ever needed more evidence of how dumb the front office is, look at the guys they put in the middle of that OL.

My take is its the current offensive scheme the Bills run lacks a true identity.

Since the Ted Marchibroda and Jim kelly years of the 90's the Bills playbook just hasn't gotten it done. Marchibroda was hired away to be a head coach elsewhere and once Kelly left the Bills that offense left with him as he called his own plays.

A few years ago Steve Fairchild was brought in from St Louis to build a high powered offense, the Mike Martz / Rams offense that worked so well for the "greatest show on turf". It's kind of strange that Martz has been fired everywhere he has coached the last 8 years and his offensive scheme seems to get the QB killed more often then not.

So it seems to me that the Bills playbook has been this hodgepoge of different plays and formations that allow the latest offensive coordinator to pull out dozens of old plays that might work or might not work. It's like they just keep trying different things throughout the game, Instead of focusing on a few formations and plays they know will work.

I'm hoping that Ralph Wilson will hire an offensive minded head coach like Jon Gruden, Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren. Someone who will install an offense that actually works, west coast or not.

The guy I really think has done a terrific job at Baltimore is Cam Cameron, the team can throw or power run depending on what they want to do that day. Also he has done a great job with the development of Joe Flacco.

It's not the coaching that kills QBs it's the scouting. The Bills scouts can't find offensive linemen, pro or college & the same thing can be said about their choices at QB. Put mediocre talent at QB behind bad offensive linemen & you will get a parade of failures at 5-6 positions. If you start with a piece of clay you can mold it and turn it into something nice, but if you start with a piece of excrement you won't be able to do that. Our scouts aren't getting us any clay.

I think so. Mainly because they have neglected their O-line over the years. QBs, no matter how good aren't going to succeed behind a crappy O-line. Aaron Rogers is the exception right now....other than him, I don't know where a QB has succeeded witha bad O-line.

Trent is a good QB. You put him on the Eagles or the Vikes and he does well. Here on the Bills, with the leagues worst O-line, not so much....

I'm actually shocked that nobody mentioned Flutie here. Not that he was the answer but they did win a few games with him. Why??? because he could scramble which covered up a lot of flaws in what has and still is an inadequate O-line.

If the Bills want to be successful they either need a QB who can make plays while running for his life or they need to build a rock solid O-line that can protect a pocket passer...especially the ones that take 10-15 seconds to go trhrough their progressions, which is what the Bills always seem to end up with at QB.

No question...absolutely Y - E - S !!!.

PTR

Not only are they ruining QB's, they're ruining players at all positions. Barely any of the recent draft choices have performed well. You can question the choices themselves, but this staff has been unable to develop few if any of the draft choices of the last 4 years into anything but average Joes.

The guy I really think has done a terrific job at Baltimore is Cam Cameron, the team can throw or power run depending on what they want to do that day. Also he has done a great job with the development of Joe Flacco.

:wallbash:

Who's the last QB to leave here and have success ... LaMonica?

To groom a good QB, you need talent and coaching, I think that've whiffed on both the last 10 years, but I think it's more on coaching. With good coaching, at least one QB we've had in the last 10 years should've been serviceable.

It's not the coaching that kills QBs it's the scouting. The Bills scouts can't find offensive linemen, pro or college & the same thing can be said about their choices at QB. Put mediocre talent at QB behind bad offensive linemen & you will get a parade of failures at 5-6 positions. If you start with a piece of clay you can mold it and turn it into something nice, but if you start with a piece of excrement you won't be able to do that. Our scouts aren't getting us any clay.

What about Jason Peters?