For All Those Who Will Be Outraged By Anything Less than Cowher, Shana

JDG

How many NFL Head Coaches have won Super Bowls with multiple teams???

Interesting, eh?

If the goal is to someday win the Super Bowl here, its kind of amazing that most fans' and pundits' plan of attack is for the Bills to do something that no NFL Team has done before....

But its quite a list:

The closest is Bill Parcells who lost a Super Bowl with Drew Bledsoe (!) and took the Jets to the AFC Championship Game, I believe, but struck out with Dallas.

Dick Vermeil has also come close after losing with the Eagles and then winning with the Rams.

Mike Holmgren spent 10 years with Seattle, but lost in his return appearnace to the big game.

Meanwhile, the rest of the list of retread Super Bowl-winning coaches is much more ignomious...

George Seifert, he of two titles in five years with the 49ers, was a complete diaster in Carolina.

We all remember Jimmy Johnson's tenure in Miami more for stomping on breakfast cereals than for winning Super Bowls (he he he....)

Joe Gibbs managed just two non-descript playoff berths in four years in his second stint with the Redskins.

Mike Ditka was more interested in getting to the golf course on draft day than winning Super Bowls in New Orleans. The Saints, of course, were a graveyard for Hank Stram's coaching career too...

And anyone remember Vince Lombardi coaching the Redskins?

The real bottom line here is that this teams' problems run much deeper than the Head Coach. Similar to a Quarterback, a Head Coach gets too much credit for victories and too much blame for losses.

JDG

I remember reading how Lombardi pretty much jump started the Redskins from doormat to contender while there, starting w/ the team's first winning season in nearly 15 years. To think that missing the Super Bowl = failure is extremely short sighted.

How can anyone be thinking about winning a Super Bowl when we haven't even made the playoffs in 10 years. Get me a respected coach who can turn this disaster around so that we're at least competitive once in a while and that would be a good start.

Interesting, eh?

If the goal is to someday win the Super Bowl here, its kind of amazing that most fans' and pundits' plan of attack is for the Bills to do something that no NFL Team has done before....

But its quite a list:

The closest is Bill Parcells who lost a Super Bowl with Drew Bledsoe (!) and took the Jets to the AFC Championship Game, I believe, but struck out with Dallas.

Dick Vermeil has also come close after losing with the Eagles and then winning with the Rams.

Mike Holmgren spent 10 years with Seattle, but lost in his return appearnace to the big game.

Meanwhile, the rest of the list of retread Super Bowl-winning coaches is much more ignomious...

George Seifert, he of two titles in five years with the 49ers, was a complete diaster in Carolina.

We all remember Jimmy Johnson's tenure in Miami more for stomping on breakfast cereals than for winning Super Bowls (he he he....)

Joe Gibbs managed just two non-descript playoff berths in four years in his second stint with the Redskins.

Mike Ditka was more interested in getting to the golf course on draft day than winning Super Bowls in New Orleans. The Saints, of course, were a graveyard for Hank Stram's coaching career too...

The real bottom line here is that this teams' problems run much deeper than the Head Coach. Similar to a Quarterback, a Head Coach gets too much credit for victories and too much blame for losses.

JDG

Does the name Don Shula ring a bell?

Reached it with two teams. Dan Reeves, too.

And there's a legitimate reason, statistically speaking, that nobody has done it. Basically, there have only been about twenty guys who have ever won even one Super Bowl.

And the recent ones (Tomlin, Belichick, Dungy, etc.) have never been with another team after winning their first, so only, what, fifteen guys have ever had the chance. Several retired (Grant, I believe, Stram, I think and so on). So only about ten or twelve guys have ever won one and then gone on to coach another team. Those aren't good odds.

Just the fact that several of them even got back to the big game is amazing.

You make valid points...often a "good/great coach" is someone who was put in the right place at the right time and did a good job keeping the ship on course. And often good coaches are backed by good management and good ownership. There is never a guarantee that a proven winner will be able to replicate his success in new environment. But given the past decade of Buffalo football, I can't imagine taking a different path.

When I was a naive young'n, I remember griping about Marv not being able to win the big one. My dad told me to count my blessings because everything sucks when you have a bad coach. There is just no hope. Success is fleeting and doom is inevitable. I didn't understand what he meant until about 2004. While coaches (like QBs) may get too much of the credit and blame, there is really no way to win without a good one.

Gruden (and especially Shanhan) looked pretty pedestrian at times during the end of their runs. But if this team is really willing to blow everything up and start again, rolling the dice on yet another unproven (or in DJ's case "Never Was") coach just seems completely unreasonable...for the players, the fans, the city and the organization.

Interesting, eh?

But its quite a list:

JDG

as long as Ralph is in charge forget about any kind of good coach,they cost to much.Even if he fires DJ.he'll just replace him with another vertion of the same thing.So to think thing will change any time soon is just a waste of time.

John Fox to me is becoming more and more likely as the next Bills HC. He's certainly going to get canned in Carolina but has (mostly) fielded competitive and tough teams.

He won't break the bank like the Holmgrens, Cohwers and Shannys of the world (so you know Ralph likes that), but has a decent track record with a SB appearance to boot.

One thing I dont know though, is he a "rah-rah" type of guy or more of the silent zombie type, a la Jauron?

How can anyone be thinking about winning a Super Bowl when we haven't even made the playoffs in 10 years. Get me a respected coach who can turn this disaster around so that we're at least competitive once in a while and that would be a good start.

Exactly what I was thinking. Superbowl aspirations are pretty far off on everyone's list. We merely want to compete and be relevant again and then we could entertain the Superbowl endeavor!

JDG

Not your best effort.

How many SB winning coaches have there ever been? 20? 25? How many coaches have their been since it all started? 500?

As for your last statement - it is exactly the opposite. The NFL is a QB/Coaching league and they don't get enough credit.

John Fox to me is becoming more and more likely as the next Bills HC. He's certainly going to get canned in Carolina but has (mostly) fielded competitive and tough teams.

He won't break the bank like the Holmgrens, Cohwers and Shannys of the world (so you know Ralph likes that), but has a decent track record with a SB appearance to boot.

One thing I dont know though, is he a "rah-rah" type of guy or more of the silent zombie type, a la Jauron?

And the minute Fox gets fired, you can bet Cowher will be the next Carolina HC. He lives in NC, and all indications are he doesn't want to return to the NFL until either his kids are grown, or the perfect opportunity arise, that being the Panthers job.

Does the name Don Shula ring a bell?

Reached it with two teams. Dan Reeves, too.

And there's a legitimate reason, statistically speaking, that nobody has done it. Basically, there have only been about twenty guys who have ever won even one Super Bowl.

And the recent ones (Tomlin, Belichick, Dungy, etc.) have never been with another team after winning their first, so only, what, fifteen guys have ever had the chance. Several retired (Grant, I believe, Stram, I think and so on). So only about ten or twelve guys have ever won one and then gone on to coach another team. Those aren't good odds.

Just the fact that several of them even got back to the big game is amazing.

sweet post. :thumbsup:

Who cares? There have been plenty of rah-ray guys who are good coaches ala Vince Lombardi, John Gruden, and Bill Cower. There have also been many who weren't ala Tom Landry, Bill Walsh, and Tony Dunge. We just need a guy who can win and we know he can because he's done it at this level.

What about Bill Callahan? He took the Raidahs to the Super Bowl a few years ago and is now an assistant at the Jets.

Can't recall where I heard this, online or on the radio, but there is like only one coach ever to win a Super Bowl that was older than 50 years old. That goes along with the re-tread concept as most of these guys after having success with their first team, by the time they make it to their second team, they are already over 50. Hence never win it again. Essentially the point of this was coaching is a young mans game.

So what's the secret, have a good group of scouts and front office that signs good players so the young coach can develop and win.